Read 2997 times

• Emmama
  • Adventurer

• May 08, 2014, 12:47:11 am
    • Ireland
Hi everyone. So Im in a very weird and messed up situation right now. Me and my friend accepted jobs through the same recruiter, She arrived in Korea around 5 days ago and I was planning on leaving for my job on 29th of dec. The school has messed me around and has decided at the last minute that they are keeping on the previous teacher. I was speaking with this teacher about the school and the apartment and he gave me no indication that he was planning on staying longer. Not impressed!

My documents should be arriving at the school in a couple of days and I've asked my friend to collect them for me to keep them safe. I really dont trust this school anymore (obviously) and I am shit scared that my documents will end up in a skip somewhere. I thought being rejected for this job would be worst case scenario, but turns out I  was wrong. If my documents 'don't arrive' at the school I. am. fucked.

I sent the director an email (no angry words) to tell her I will ned my friend to go and collect them and to please message me when they arrive.

So essentially I have to look for asap positions now before my the 6 months is up on my police clearance.

Sorry for the rant, I hate to contribute to the negativity that seems to breed on this site but
I could really use some advice if anyone would like to share.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
I had a kind of similar (not really) situation. I sent my documents to one place, but suddenly for personal reasons I couldnt leave when they needed me to. So i wanted to get my documents back. They arrived and my then girlfriend went to the school and was given the unopened package of my documents. No problems.
You have sent an email and you have your friend working on this end. That's about as much as you can do and I'm sure it will be fine. You could even ask the teacher who is staying on to ask the boss to NOT throw them away and keep them safe. It's the least they can do.

I'm sorry you had this go down. I can imagine how stressful it would be. Unfortunately these kinds of things happen all too often. Broken words and promises. Last minute changes. It can get you down sometimes. I've learned not to count my chickens. Ever. I'm coming up for a resigning and I won't even begin to think it's a sure thing until I'm in front of my first class next semester.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Emmama
  • Adventurer

• May 08, 2014, 12:47:11 am
    • Ireland
I had a kind of similar (not really) situation. I sent my documents to one place, but suddenly for personal reasons I couldnt leave when they needed me to. So i wanted to get my documents back. They arrived and my then girlfriend went to the school and was given the unopened package of my documents. No problems.
You have sent an email and you have your friend working on this end. That's about as much as you can do and I'm sure it will be fine. You could even ask the teacher who is staying on to ask the boss to NOT throw them away and keep them safe. It's the least they can do.

I'm sorry you had this go down. I can imagine how stressful it would be. Unfortunately these kinds of things happen all too often. Broken words and promises. Last minute changes. It can get you down sometimes. I've learned not to count my chickens. Ever. I'm coming up for a resigning and I won't even begin to think it's a sure thing until I'm in front of my first class next semester.

Thanks for the reply. It really is a pain, my friend is over there under false pretenses now. Shes pretty upset to be there on her own indefinitely when we were certain I would be there soon. Its a major headfuck as my boyfriend of 5 and a half years will be staying at home and we have been mentally preparing for me to leave and now we dont know when that will be. Inconsiderate is not the word! the recruiter is raging with her too.

I will wait until monday to see what the director says. Ive given her no reason to be reckless with my documents. I just hope she keeps them for me or else im screwed! Just going to trawl the internet this weekend to see if there is anything available in incheon in the next month!

Yeah I would feel pretty crappy if I were in your shoes.  But the truth is that time is very mutable here.  In the west it's considered very rude to reschedule/cancel meetings at the last minute.  But here it's not that big of a deal, its just a fact of life.  Same goes for group culture.  The school would consider it more rude to boot the teacher who decided at the last minute that they wanted to stay than it would be rude to cancel your contract at the last minute.

So I wouldn't worry too much about getting your documents back.  It doesn't sound like your school is out to screw with you, it's just a crappy situation.  It's good that you're working with a recruiter, it's in their best interest that they find you a new job ASAP because it sounds like they didn't get their recruitment fee either.

So yeah it sucks but don't give up!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:28:02 pm by robobob9000 »

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
Sorry for the rant, I hate to contribute to the negativity that seems to breed on this site but I could really use some advice if anyone would like to share.

Wouldn't you say a lot of it is justified given what you are now dealing with?

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
Koreans will screw you if they have something to gain, like money, but overall I think your documents are safe if you have asked for them to hold them or if you have asked them to send them back.

My little "situation is dodgy" alarm goes off all the time in Korea but I've always been pleasantly surprised when they end up doing the right thing. The most dodgy thing (and because it was to do with money) was I was leaving the country with out my last pay check and exit allowance (Needed to use my 3 week holiday to start my new job back home) and they put it in my home country account, even though it required a lot of work form them to do so (ie trip to the next towns bank).

It's a pretty sucky situation, but this same sort of thing happened to me during my first attempt at procuring a hagwon job. The school simply forwarded my documents on to my recruiter who sent them onto the next school to hire me. I really doubt they'd just throw away your documents, but it would be a good thing to also mail the current teacher just to make sure. Best of luck!
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
Sorry for the rant, I hate to contribute to the negativity that seems to breed on this site but I could really use some advice if anyone would like to share.

Wouldn't you say a lot of it is justified given what you are now dealing with?

His situation is worse than 99% of the diatribe posted on here. Eg: Thread the other day raging about how she heard someone pronounce '만' incorrectly.

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
If you sent your documents through Fedex or DHL and you still have the tracking number you can give them a call and ask them to return to sender before they have a chance of delivering it.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
His situation is worse than 99% of the diatribe posted on here. Eg: Thread the other day raging about how she heard someone pronounce '만' incorrectly.

?

I did not "rage" --  I simply posted it, as it was relevant to the thread, so I just added my experience. Not sure how you construed that as "raging."

Anyway, back on topic, I am sorry to hear about your situation, OP, and hope you get your documents back and that things work out for you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:36:11 am by Mezoti97 »

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
Yeah sorry didn't actually mean to single you out, I actually meant to post OP's complaint, but I can't recall what trivial thing he was worried about. That whole thread was a bizarre set of angry posts about things no-one should be worrying about.