Read 16672 times

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
Re: Racist Students?
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2016, 08:24:46 am »
Just a friendly reminder that "니가" (ni-ga) just means "you" or "your" in Korean.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2016, 08:25:12 am »
Was doing a bucket list lesson and each student who caught the ball must say what was on their bucket list... most of them were absolutely terrible like just eating certain foods, one kid even said 'Stay home'.

However one student said '' Fight a black person'', I looked at my CT as if to say wtf and he tried to assure me the student wasn't being racist. What would make a kid even think of that? Still don't really know what he meant because I was that stumped by his answer I just moved on.

Can't say it's racist without knowing the intentions.

Racism from students... a lot of adults in Korea dismiss it as "natural." The excuses Koreans often give are...
1. Never seen black people
2. Lack of exposure
3. Lack of education on racism
4. Culture
5. Blah blah blah blah blah.

However, my school once had an African American NET. After she was gone, the same students that used to see her would make fun of the black character in the textbook and one day, a student in a very clownish tone made fun of the black character specifically saying his black skin was creepy. I got fed up and scolded them and told them that I do not tolerate racism and that I have black friends- making fun of black people made me angry~ so I told them. They got the message but... they didn't learn specifically that making fun of black people was wrong- because there was nothing for them to empathize.

The adults here don't help either. When I left me first school, that school also was going to be replaced by a black woman from England. The teachers immediately started saying things like "she looks scary," "the children will be afraid," "is she a native speaker?" "where is she from? (England)" "No no no, where is she really from?"

Also seen teachers giggle whenever a child calls a black person a monkey...

Edit:
Also... I don't get how children would be afraid of black people. Korean people have this strong belief that black people look scary from a natural view and children naturally fear them.

When I was 5 I met my first black friend in the US when I was there for the summer... played like children then I brought him to my house where my Korean mom looking fearfully at him shooed him away...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:32:26 am by cjszk »

• Trishalin
  • Explorer

• July 13, 2016, 01:43:34 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2016, 09:34:32 am »
I don't know, but it seems pretty far fetched kids would call you insults related specifically to south africa. 

The teachers looked up south african racial slurs just to call you them and the kids learned that from them?  Maybe the teachers taught it to them in their free time just because they hate black people.  Wow,  I mean they must really hate you if they went out of their way just to find racist words to insult you with that they've never learned before.

And it's just at the one school, not the other schools that did that.  Come on, get a grip

I hate to agree, being South African myself, but it does seem unlikely that they would use those words. Apartheid is no laughing matter, but those words are hardly used nowadays, especially "san". I've been in SA for most of my life and have never heard somebody insult another by using the term "san".

• flyingspider
  • Super Waygook

• February 27, 2016, 08:33:47 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:55 am »
My sixth grade class was snickering once during a video where the black boy was the main character and I asked my co why they were laughing and she got all embarrassed and said, "They're talking about his looks." She quickly moved on to the next part before I had the chance to say anything but if I hear them doing it again I'm not going to let it slide.

In 4th grade in one of the videos the little black girl has braided hair and the kids were laughing and saying it looked like 짜장면. I lectured them on racism but my co didn't translate much of it so I'm not sure how much got across.

I don't understand why my CTs are so reluctant to stand up to the students on this (when they know the students are in the wrong) and it's really irritating. The students need to know that what they say is not okay.

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 08:21:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2016, 10:08:05 am »
I agree that a lot of times, some Koreans just don't realize that they are being racist.  I try not to take any offense to it (most of the time), and just inform them that its inappropriate.  It "could" be the case that they genuinely just didn't know.

I also give them a free pass if I could sense that there was no malicious intent from it.  After all, if a little kid runs up to you with their eyes really wide, and a huge smile, laughing while they pet your arm hair and call you "teacher! bear arms!"  Should we really consider THAT insulting?  Being of a younger age, they probably have very little English ability, and their facial expressions definitely didn't show malicious intent, but rather true interest and happiness to see you, so I would just ignore situations like those.

But with that said, I find that some Koreans DO bear a lot of discrimination to anyone NOT Korean.  I have even heard hateful/nasty comments towards Japanese, Chinese, Russian, and surprisingly, even to gyopos too.  So, I guess even being ethnically Korean by blood doesn't make you immune from getting nasty comments because you were corrupted by western influence.

Of course we always hear Korea's excuse of not having much exposure to other groups.  I don't know how long Korea plans to use that excuse though.  These days, its getting harder and harder to be oblivious of other cultures due to technology, and someone from a younger generation is less and less likely able to use that kind of excuse.  Regardless, I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and pretend they genuinely didn't know for first offenses.  That gives us a chance to teach people that something is wrong.  But, if it happens AGAIN after, well then that's just blatant racism then.

At the end of the day, it's really their choice I suppose.  If they want to keep racist opinions even after learning that it's wrong in other cultures, that's really their right to do so I suppose.  They just have to face the consequences if their views affect them negatively in the future.  Some Koreans don't even plan to ever go abroad or interact with foreigners, so in that light, it probably does absolutely nothing as a whole.

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 08:21:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2016, 10:13:30 am »
My sixth grade class was snickering once during a video where the black boy was the main character and I asked my co why they were laughing and she got all embarrassed and said, "They're talking about his looks." She quickly moved on to the next part before I had the chance to say anything but if I hear them doing it again I'm not going to let it slide.

In 4th grade in one of the videos the little black girl has braided hair and the kids were laughing and saying it looked like 짜장면. I lectured them on racism but my co didn't translate much of it so I'm not sure how much got across.

I don't understand why my CTs are so reluctant to stand up to the students on this (when they know the students are in the wrong) and it's really irritating. The students need to know that what they say is not okay.

Too bad students don't get to see any videos where a bunch of non-Koreans make fun of how Koreans look on a playground or something.  (Basically, multiple videos where some characters races were switched).

I wonder how different students would react then.  I bet in that sense, they'd be pretty quick to think the whole world is racist towards Koreans.

But, then again, some of these kids are pretty smart.  Seeing 2 very similar videos with just the races of characters switched would probably spark some quick understanding to some.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2016, 10:33:21 am »

I hope you aren't being serious.

You "lectured" 4th grade students on racism?

• 02sanupp
  • Veteran

• April 28, 2016, 09:52:05 am
    • Korea
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2016, 10:38:01 am »

I'm all for educating students about racism, however, I don't think making fun of someones braids and likening it to 짜장면 warrants a lecture on racism.

I've seen people with dreadlocks that look more like 떡볶이 than dreads, I had a laugh about it but it doesn't make me a racist.

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2016, 10:41:22 am »

Kids share their parent's belief structures (hence religious indctrination), so telling a kid they are wrong sends the message to the parents that they are rasing the kid wrong.  Korean schools of all kinds are scared of angry mothers. 

Think about it, the reason you don't spout racial slurs, is because you either never saw your parents do it, or you were chastised by them if you did.  When a Korea kid points at you and shouts foreigner to their parents, they do nothing.  If i had pointed to a person of different ethnicity and called to my parents, they would have told me it is not acceptable to do that (after cracking me around the head).  here, the parent is likely to tell the kid to go practice English with them (has happened to me by a fat sack of shit using the demo massage chair at homeplus as his private relaxation device) and be a bit narked off when the "foreigner" won't accomodate said behaviour.  Koreans have a problem woith equality in their own society, asking them to treat outsiders as equal, well, that's just not cricket!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2019, 06:41:03 am »
The hogwon system is largely to blame for ruining the younger generations approach to outsiders.

When you have been practically raised in academies that allow you to get away with any amount of ill behaviour to your FT, it creates a generation that thinks its normal to disrespect foreign people.

Catch my drift?

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2019, 07:47:22 am »
This thread is an example of arrogant Westerners bringing their mental baggage abroad, and then trying to indoctrinate the locals.

Koreans don't care about this nonsense. Know your place.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2019, 08:57:09 am »
Actually university aged kids,here are becoming as ultrasensitive to this as kids in the West. All my class thought Trudeau should go for his black face shenanigans for example.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2019, 02:32:22 pm »
I worry little about students.  Witty comebacks and sarcasm for older kids put that in check.  As for society at large, it is reduced.  But what is there is more hidden than 10 or 15 years ago.  The 2000's decade, the media ran non stop bs about us.  Lots of fake news.  In the 90's was more focused on US Army, but a western man with a Korean girlfriend would get fought or threatened a lot by locals.  There were songs like "F@kin' USA"  using the music and rift of the old Beach Boys Classic "Surfin USA".   Psy in 2004 was reported to have been caught on the record to have said some pretty nasty things and to kill US Army's family members.  This was before my time, but I had no idea the amount of hate and racism in Korean society.  The President Roh Moo Hyun ran on an anti American mindset exploiting the 2002 accident when a couple of little girls got ran over.  (I guess Korean ajossis never ran over or hit kids due to reckless driving before?)   Anyways, it seemed to go away when Lee Myung Bak came in.  But the mindset at this time was America and Japan were bad and North Korea was great.  English teachers and US army were pedophiles, had AIDS, fake diploma, and needed to get out of Korea.  But it was hidden in Korean language and certain actions.  Over time, folks started learning Korean and started translating it.  Going into this decade, it fizzled out.  Most Korean people are pretty open and nice people nowadays.   A few folks prob still have the hidden prejudice.  But it was local governments elected cutting foreign teacher spending, a few years back, usually the same movement as the Moo Hyun Administration and the same government that took over in Ulsan (reading another post).  (Prejudice in Korea use to come from the left in Korea.)

One thing that is different is that past US Presidents ignored it and it was more hidden.  Now it gets found out fast.  Remember a few years ago when psy made it big in America and his words came back to haunt him from 2004?  Can't hide it anymore?  Obama was President.  Imagine if that same racist fervor were running around Korea now?   Trump would put up with that for about 5 seconds, maybe 10?  He'd hit em back on twitter fast and prob start talking about cutting troops or dropping trade if they don't shut their mouth.  In 2017, NK started using their typical bombastic rhetoric.  The difference was Trump used it back and scared the crap out of them.  (Dotard and Rocketman?)  They quickly felt the need to agree to summits and travel out of NK when they would not have before. 

My point is they can't hide that anymore?  It will get around fast.  That said, I really do find the overwhelming of Korean people pretty nice nowadays.  So, it's really not the issue it was 10 or 15 years ago.  Some kids, take it in stride. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2019, 02:41:06 pm »
So I take it that everyone here turned off the TV when McBain or Apu or Groundskeeper Willie came on the screen?  Come on.

no of course not, i'm sure everyone here just pointed and yelled "monkey monkey!" like Korean students do.

Had a few little boys do that back in 2008 or call me a gorilla or something.  I looked down at them and told them they were little chickens.  I also use to make the crazy gesture with my finger around the edge of my temple while pointing at them.  They hit me with an insult; I hit em back.  A couple of little boys said I was fat or a pig (when I really wasn't).  Students: You fat.  Me:  You ugly.  That got shut down fast.  Fortunately, most kids liked me and thought I was funny.  They use to go home and brag to their parents about me. 

But, I can't say being back at Elementary in 2019 (after doing Middle School for several years in between) that the kids do that to me anymore (and I prob could stand to lose a few pounds).  I high five the little ones and have fun with the older students on class.  No problems nowadays.