Read 18417 times

• ohitsgary
  • Veteran

• January 06, 2013, 07:28:15 am
    • London
Racist Students?
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:13:44 pm »
This has happened to me a few times now. When I ask a class a question in English, there's always this one kid who replies in Korean. Then I say, "In English?", then he/she basically say the same Korean word but in a stereotypical foreign accent. At the time I thought it was pretty funny, so I laughed along with the class. But then I realized, what if it was reversed? If, for example, a westerner said an English word but in an Asian accent. I would think that's pretty racist, right?

Re: Racist Students?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:17:55 pm »
The reason for a kid being racist is because of their stupid parents that raise them in their homes. The best thing I could do to make a kid be shameful for being racist is to insult the kids' parents, and see how the kid will respond.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »
This has happened to me a few times now. When I ask a class a question in English, there's always this one kid who replies in Korean. Then I say, "In English?", then he/she basically say the same Korean word but in a stereotypical foreign accent. At the time I thought it was pretty funny, so I laughed along with the class. But then I realized, what if it was reversed? If, for example, a westerner said an English word but in an Asian accent. I would think that's pretty racist, right?
Is it racist? Not really. It is point out the differences between accents and the way people speak. Assuming that all Asians sound one way or another would be racist. I often speak in "Konglish" in order to tell my students not to do it. I can do it extremely well, so much in fact, that Korean English teachers often commend me on how well I actually can do it. It is not racist for me to do it. I use it as a tool. Making fun of one's accent is not racism. It is not nice, and it is what jerks do if they are out to really make fun of someone, but it cannot be racist.

• Choirs
  • Veteran

• December 08, 2012, 05:53:08 pm
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 02:26:42 pm »
I don't know about you but I'm always speaking English with a Korean accent

KA-POO-CHEE-NOH

KA-DUH

TA-EEK-AH-OOH-TUH

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:26:42 pm »
Is it racist? Not really. It is point out the differences between accents and the way people speak. Assuming that all Asians sound one way or another would be racist. I often speak in "Konglish" in order to tell my students not to do it. I can do it extremely well, so much in fact, that Korean English teachers often commend me on how well I actually can do it. It is not racist for me to do it. I use it as a tool. Making fun of one's accent is not racism. It is not nice, and it is what jerks do if they are out to really make fun of someone, but it cannot be racist.

I agree.  They didn't intend on belittling anyone based on race.  Pushing the corners of your eyes up and wailing "ChIng Chong chow Ling long TiNG toNG" is racist, however.

• HyooMyron
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2013, 11:36:39 pm
    • Jinju, S. Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:40:26 pm »
I'm not sure I'm following your logic. I don't find this racist at all. Having a native accent when speaking ANY language is 'good'. While, having a foreign accent when speaking ANY language is 'not good'.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:00:30 pm »
It's certainly not racist, as their response might be the same toward foreigners on any race.  The most you could say about it is that it's insensitive.  But then, we can't really expect children to be very sensitive the feelings of others, especially something as esoteric as accents.

Give them a pass on it and laugh with them.

I remember feeling so obligated to try my best to pronounce Latin, Spanish, French, and German terms accurately in university, but I eventually realised that the Spanish, German, and French people didn't suddenly drop their accents when mentioning an English term.  They said them all with just as strong an accent as everything else they said.  They would even giggle about all the gringos' pathetic attempts to sound "authentic".  Just laugh along with them and hit them on their pronunciation, too.  After all, it's English class.  When you are in Korean class, you can be expected to work on your accent.  In English class, if they want to play like that, don't let them get away with anything.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:10:39 pm »
Also take into account that kids will be kids (no matter how obnoxious), also if the class laughed at what he did? then expect sequels to 'kid being a dumbass; The Movie', but so long as you tell yourself that more often than not when kids behave 'badly', its mostly because they are just kids being kids? you'll have a lot more peace of mind. NOTE: this is not to say that all dumbass behaviour is excusable! LOL.
Knowing what it feels like to be in pain, is exactly why we should try to be kind to others.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 03:18:39 pm »
Most students I've had in Korea say and do racist things. They insulted me and made the most insulting comments about africa and many other things. I choose to build up positive things and try to ignore the bad ones. When I first was teaching I would tryto exlpain why you shouldn't say or believe these things your saying, but found it was just as if i was banging my head on a wall looking for a different outcome. I foundthat unless your talkingwith an adult with an open mind you won't get to far in Korea.
"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »
The reason for a kid being racist is because of their stupid parents that raise them in their homes. The best thing I could do to make a kid be shameful for being racist is to insult the kids' parents, and see how the kid will respond.

So, you take your black bitterness out on your students? You internalize so much of the world's historic and present racism towards people of similar color to you that you now explode and shame children when they express the slightest of prejudice. This is while you know yourself to be prejudiced towards others.

These kids are not racist. Stop using the phrase RACISM when describing the perception or attitude of discrimination. There is no real racism in this country. Prejudice, yes. Bigotry, yes. Apartheid and Jim Crow, now there's grade-A racism.

Stop talking.

I don't think repeating things in a "foreign" accent is racist, but it is incredibly rude. If my kids do it now, I just stare at them, and when the giggles die down, I pleasantly ask if they can speak English perfectly. When they say no, I tell them that I promise not to make fun of them if they promise not to make fun of me, and we shake on it.

I've only had to do this a few times, to be fair, because my kids are great.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 03:49:36 pm »
These kids are not racist. Stop using the phrase RACISM when describing the perception or attitude of discrimination. There is no real racism in this country. Prejudice, yes. Bigotry, yes. Apartheid and Jim Crow, now there's grade-A racism.

Racism is prejudice or discrimination based on race.  Yes, this definitely exists here. 

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »
My students are racist at times.

For some reason people of Indian or Pakistani descent get more of a hard time than people of other ethnicities.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 04:52:37 pm »

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »
You have to define race before you can discriminate based on race. And there is no biological or anthropological recognized definition for race. That is why the US, Germany and South Africa spent so much time and energy in trying to define race. They needed a clear definition in order to discriminate. And all that effort was futile because there's no such thing as a white person or a black person.

Are there any laws in Korea that discriminates based on 'race'. No, hence no racism.

:rolleyes:

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 08:58:26 pm »
Koreans have no right mocking anyone when it comes to language/pronunciation. They day that they can actually pronounce "lunch" instead of "lunch-ee" is the day that I will give them a mulligan. Don't see it happening anytime soon...

• terivinix
  • Expert Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 02:20:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »
Of course it's  racist. Why would anyone doubt that? The only question is how you deal with it or not. What is with idiots here in this thread saying theres no racism in Korea? It may not embody itself in violent cops or racial pride parades, but prejudice is a natural dark side of being human and Koreans are human too.

Im white so Ive gotten less of it (the only real racism I ever experienced targeted at me was from a Korean American working at The Princeton Review). But just take a look at the attitudes toward nonwhite foreigners, especially migrant workers, and toward Koreans who get too comfortable with other races.

• koreanstar
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2011, 02:35:08 pm
    • seongnam, south korea
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 04:25:03 am »
first sorry that you were hurt by this incident.
but sorry but I cant help but laugh.
if you want REAL racist students come teach in the BRONX and some parts of Brooklyn new York, there you'll experience hardcore slurs, teasing and physical assaults everyday. Korea kids are nothing to the lil thug wannabes in elementary and up. 

• helppp
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2014, 01:43:22 pm
    • Daegu South Korea
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 08:08:33 am »
Hmm, maybe pick and choose your battles. I completely get where you're coming from and actually if it were the other way round and we did the same thing to an asian person in the west it would probably be termed as racism, (at least by some people) but you've got to remember they are kids. Depends how much it personally insults you I suppose.

There's no doubt in my mind racism is a problem here though, (especially as someone has already pointed out when it comes to certain other asian nations). I'd also say I've stopped entirely different classes 2-3 times throughout this year because I've heard one of my kids drop the n-word and the first time it happened I was absolutely horrified. Problem is, whilst my example is overt racism and is obviously a point where you throw down a strong marker and make an example, it might depend on your own interpretation for the example you've given.

• jono1985
  • Adventurer

• October 06, 2010, 01:53:04 pm
    • Won-Tong:Gangwon-do province, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:28 am »
They are racist. I have been called "kaffir", "n*gg*r", "san" "alien", "home leaver" by both teachers and students alike, almost everyday.This is something I always choose to sweep under the carpet for the sake of keeping my job, since the foreigner is always wrong anyway. Highly dismayed. Please also note that I have taught at two other schools in Korea and never experienced such behaviour.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:51:41 am by jono1985 »

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 10:01:51 am »
So I take it that everyone here turned off the TV when McBain or Apu or Groundskeeper Willie came on the screen?  Come on.