Read 1225 times

• Arclight
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 01:01:10 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
If I give up my paid vacation days, I will get paid extra?
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »
I'm under EPIK and my school is telling me that if I give up some of my paid vacation days and take a shorter vacation then I can get paid extra for those days.  I've never heard of this before and can't find anything in the contract about it.  I'd rather just take my full vacation but I'm curious about why they're saying this.  Any thoughts?

• jb2079
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2013, 08:13:42 am
    • Gangnam
Re: If I give up my paid vacation days, I will get paid extra?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:02:35 pm »
As the saying goes: if you don't use it you lose it.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:10:40 pm »
It's technically possible as long it's them offering as an extra-contractual agreement and you get it in writing. It's not standard practice though and it's very possible you would regret it when they "forget" about it after the vacation period passes.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »
Korean contract teachers get X amount of days holiday that they can use, paid.

They can then choose to take x amount of days off, which are unpaid - or desk warm/have classes and get paid.

The EPIK contract makes no mention of 'extra pay' so clarify with your school to make sure that your principal or VP isn't confused.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 03:39:07 pm »
It sounds like they may be confusing your vacation (significantly shorter than a normal teacher) with those of the other faculty members.  For example, everyone takes the full month of January off and maybe they think you could, too.  Because we can't (without taking unpaid days), most of us do camps/deskwarm.  Those days they are talking about might be the days you are already planning on being there.  I wouldn't expect them to pay extra money for anything... Even if it's in writing, they may still not understand the words in translation.  Our idea of a "vacation day" is not the same as theirs.  Be careful about working extra days on top of the camp/deskwarming days.  I really doubt they will add money to your paycheck.  Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt it. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 04:35:32 pm »
I am assuming you are paid by SMOE and if you are there is no way you will get paid. Because of English Camps I cannot take all the vacation due to me and SMOE told me tough luck, you lose them, no pay.

If you are paid by your school, then it may be different.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!