Read 3735 times

Marriage - Korean Man/Amer. Woman
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:10:55 pm »
Hi everyone,

My finance and I recently started researching the lengthy process of marriage and visas in S. Korea. We have a few questions specific to our situation that I hoped some of you who have already gone through the process could answer:

Details: Fiance (Korean man), Me (American woman).

My fiance and I plan to get married on paper early next year in order to start the process of getting the F6 visa. I'm currently here on a tourist visa, but will (I assume) switch to an E2 visa early next year. We will stay in Korea for several years, then we plan to move to the US.

Q1: I want to change my last name to my fiance's last name. What is the process of changing your name in Korea on the marriage cert (if that is even possible?) Should I just keep my name for simplicity's sake (for visa, passport, arc card, etc.) and change it once we move to the US eventually?

Q2: We have plans to visit the US in April after getting married on paper. Can my future husband get into the US in April on his ESTA tourist visa? Does the US embassy report marriages? Will this cause trouble for him entering the US? IF so, do we need the K1 visa, instead?

Thank you in advance for answers.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes-- until I met a man with no feet.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
Re: Marriage - Korean Man/Amer. Woman
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:21:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

My finance and I recently started researching the lengthy process of marriage and visas in S. Korea. We have a few questions specific to our situation that I hoped some of you who have already gone through the process could answer:

Details: Fiance (Korean man), Me (American woman).

My fiance and I plan to get married on paper early next year in order to start the process of getting the F6 visa. I'm currently here on a tourist visa, but will (I assume) switch to an E2 visa early next year. We will stay in Korea for several years, then we plan to move to the US.

Q1: I want to change my last name to my fiance's last name. What is the process of changing your name in Korea on the marriage cert (if that is even possible?) Should I just keep my name for simplicity's sake (for visa, passport, arc card, etc.) and change it once we move to the US eventually?

Q2: We have plans to visit the US in April after getting married on paper. Can my future husband get into the US in April on his ESTA tourist visa? Does the US embassy report marriages? Will this cause trouble for him entering the US? IF so, do we need the K1 visa, instead?

Thank you in advance for answers.

Congrats

Don't worry the process for you getting an F6 is pretty simple. MUCH more simple than trying to get your husband a green card. Your husband will most likely have to produce most of the documents since they are in Korean. Give immigration a call to get the most updated info. You will need to provide documents and I have added a link in the post that talks about what you need. 

I am not sure about getting a name changed here in Korea. Would be interested to find out your process though so if you could keep this topic update with your progress I would appreciate it.

How long are you planning on visiting the US? A Korean national can stay in the states for 3 months without issue. If you guys are just visiting for under that time period it would be fine. If you are wanting to stay longer than that then you would have to have him on some sort of visa.

The US embassy does not report marriages. Here is a link with more information regarding your questions. At the bottom it talks about the marriage certificate.
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_getting_married.html#visa

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:34:59 pm »
Wow congratulations! My sister is actually getting here this weekend for the exact same thing! You're not her are you? "And popcorn!" Did you understand that reference?

Anyways I'll be following this thread for some insight myself. I know my sister is worried about the process as well. 

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »
I wouldn't want to change my name until later if I were you.  The process itself is a bit of a hassle, add in visas/passports that will have to be updated all while overseas... blah.  It's an awful lot of work for something that doesn't have to be done immediately (or ever for that matter).  I would suggest waiting.  If it's important to you, just start using his last name socially, even if it's not legally changed yet.  Pretty common practice actually...

• Llynne
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2011, 02:06:23 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 02:16:22 pm »
I heard they changed alot of the rules last year and I'm wondering if anyone managed to get a newly updated comprehensive list of required documents needed for the f6 visa? We just went to immigration and were told we couldn't even begin our application as it was so difficult,  yet we'd prepared the docs it says you need on most sites like korea4expats etc. Immigration were not helpful and just referred us to an awful website which didn't even list the docs we'd already got!

• Llynne
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2011, 02:06:23 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 10:46:43 pm »
oh sweet. did they specifically ask for printed photos?

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:07:40 pm »
I am in the USA now with my wife and she has entered multiple times on a tourist visa. They ask if we are married (we go through the Citizens section of immigration together) and we say yes. If they ask your husband where he lives just be sure that he says Korea. It is helpful if you both have proof of onward travel showing that you do not plan on staying in the US, a work contract would also help, just in case the agent is being a dick.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:13:46 am »
oh sweet. did they specifically ask for printed photos?

Yes, they put them on file.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:12:38 am »
Yes your husband can use the visa waiver program no problems.

But....

When travelling to the US make sure your husband goes with you through the US passport holders line. Also only fill out one landing form card for your family. Have return tickets pre-printed.

A flight attendant told us to fill out separate forms and use separate lines, the Customs folks were none too impressed and had us in additional screening for 30 minutes, with threats to deport. Not fun!!

Also you can go through the Korean passport holder line with your husband upon return. Much faster!!!