Read 4653 times

Tutoring vs being hired at Hagwons/Public School
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:59 am »
I am interested in tutoring because I believe the hourly rate is high compared to the more stable hagwon/public school job. Could you do that and work less hours for the same money?

How much is the standard hourly rate for tutoring English in Korea?

• ART55
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2012, 01:11:00 pm
    • Pohang
Re: Tutoring vs being hired at Hagwons/Public School
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:05:37 am »
No

Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:49:25 am »
No
If I could "like" your post, I would.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:06:29 am »
You should come over here on a tourist visa and just put up signs advertising your services on your table at the local Cafe Bene. Koreans will see this and immediately begin telling all their friends about you. If you have the perseverance to wait a few hours you will be making 7,000,000 per month while living on the cheap at a love motel.

Don't worry about the necessary paperwork, just leap on over. This country really admires a self-made human and something tells me you'll do just fine.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:23:53 am »
Even if you could somehow pay for the entirety of your expenses out of tutoring, which would be exceedingly difficult if you don't have a nest egg from your home country you'd be willing to invest in the process (key money, apartment, etc) you have the visa issue.

If you get a job here, they sponsor your visa. Many of us are on the E-2, it's the standard from what I've seen for people teaching here from other countries. So unless you qualify for the F-4 visa which would let you work in whatever fashion you liked (from what I understand) you wouldn't be able to get into the country and work here legally for any long period of time.

TL;DR - tutoring is a side job for F-4 visa holders, doubtful you could use it for anything else.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:55:39 am »
How much is the standard hourly rate for tutoring English in Korea?

Less than not long before and declining. Harder to get and keep students nowadays, too, so the hagwon job would probably be a better idea.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:43 am »
If you have an F4 visa, speak Korean and are amazing at human relations and have many connections yes, tutoring can reap more money. But dude, stop asking so many questions and start trying to think independently. Google stuff. You start new threads for single questions it's trollicious. If you are asking whether you can make more off tutoring from other foreigners who for the most part have E2 visas and are tied down to their workplace, you really shouldn't consider tutoring. Just apply to a school or hagwon already.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:12:57 am by cjszk »

• ART55
  • Adventurer

• Pohang
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »
Like others have said before, this guy must definitely be a troll.

People have been ripping into him like crazy, and it doesn't even fade him, he just moves on and posts more questions.  Either he is trolling or he has zero common sense.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 12:54:11 pm »
I counted ten threads on this page and four on page 2 most of which are easily solved by a simple Google query. My favorite is "HELP I CAN'T SCAN THE SECOND PAGE OF MY APOSTILLE WHAT SHOULD I DO". This guy is definitely a troll. And even worse, people are falling for it. And by posting in this topic I guess I'm feeding the troll. But those are the breaks.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »
If you have an F4 visa, speak Korean and are amazing at human relations and have many connections yes, tutoring can reap more money. But dude, stop asking so many questions and start trying to think independently. Google stuff. You start new threads for single questions it's trollicious. If you are asking whether you can make more off tutoring from other foreigners who for the most part have E2 visas and are tied down to their workplace, you really shouldn't consider tutoring. Just apply to a school or hagwon already.

I do have an F4 visa and speak Korean but not amazing at human relations. I am applying to hagwons posted on Dave's but not getting a response so far. Maybe my appearance is not good enough.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »
I do have an F4 visa and speak Korean but not amazing at human relations. I am applying to hagwons posted on Dave's but not getting a response so far. Maybe my appearance is not good enough.

Most hagwons in general typically want to hire a white female.

• Amerz100
  • Adventurer

• October 10, 2010, 12:41:11 pm
    • Mokpo-si, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 07:39:35 pm »
you prob can register as a freelance (dont quote me on this look into it - speak to immigration) .. and do it that way .. or there are companies that offer 1 to 1 tutoring services ... put a post up on craigslist and there will be companies that contact you ... more stability would be applying to companies ... you can make more that way ... the other thing of course is to put up a post on a popular korean blog or cafe.daum.net and people will just find you including CEO's and put higher up.
Amerz

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 07:58:20 am »

As a Gyopo it's better to work on ground zero~ you need to be in Korea talking to people and building rapport. Come to Korea, get to know a lot of people- your relatives, distant relatives, their friends, their friend's friends, and ask things such as "Do you know anyone who is interested in learning English?" "Do you know anyone who is going to be taking the TOEIC?" "Do you know anyone who has any children who need to learn English?" You will be surprised what comes through the grapevine and how you can get private tutoring sessions this way. But if you are a Gyopo working through the glass window from overseas, the white females have you beat for hagwons, to hagwons image is most important and when they showcase a Gyopo customers don't think that they or their kids will learn from a native.

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:50 am »
No

Somehow, with two letters, you've summated everything and replied in the correct manner. My favourite post on the whole of WayGook.

• ART55
  • Adventurer

• Pohang
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:38:24 am »

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:30 pm »
Tutoring is illegal unless you have an F visa.  The going rate is between 30-60,000 won an hour usually.  So, yes, you can work less and earn more as a tutor.  But only on an F visa.  Immigration is trying to crack down on illegal tutoring and it results in hefty fines with the possibility of deportation if you are caught.  All it takes is for a disgruntled student or parent to call in and set you up.

To reiterate: you can only tutor on an F visa, otherwise it is illegal.

• ART55
  • Adventurer

• Pohang
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »
Tutoring is illegal unless you have an F visa.  The going rate is between 30-60,000 won an hour usually.  So, yes, you can work less and earn more as a tutor.  But only on an F visa.  Immigration is trying to crack down on illegal tutoring and it results in hefty fines with the possibility of deportation if you are caught.  All it takes is for a disgruntled student or parent to call in and set you up.

To reiterate: you can only tutor on an F visa, otherwise it is illegal.

You do realize this guy is trolling, right?

And your post is a little misleading.  I have an F visa, but I am not allowed to tutor privately because of my provincial board of education.  I work at a private high school, but still the POE will not allow it.  The only way one can become a legal tutor or open their own school is if they get a private tutoring license from the POE.  It is really easy to do, but only F-visas and nationals can do it.  Not E-2s.  If you tutor on an F visa and you did not register with the POE or you are at a job that legally restricts you from private tutoring, it is illegal and even F-ekkers can lose their visas.

However, those with F-visas can legally tutor adults (from my understanding), but still must pay taxes on it.  You can only tutor students if you get the private teacher's license.

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »

As a Gyopo it's better to work on ground zero~ you need to be in Korea talking to people and building rapport. Come to Korea, get to know a lot of people- your relatives, distant relatives, their friends, their friend's friends, and ask things such as "Do you know anyone who is interested in learning English?" "Do you know anyone who is going to be taking the TOEIC?" "Do you know anyone who has any children who need to learn English?" You will be surprised what comes through the grapevine and how you can get private tutoring sessions this way. But if you are a Gyopo working through the glass window from overseas, the white females have you beat for hagwons, to hagwons image is most important and when they showcase a Gyopo customers don't think that they or their kids will learn from a native.

Thank you. Another thing that worries me is for public schools and hagwons I guess you are told what to teach in what manner but for private tutoring I am not sure how to go about teaching.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:22 pm »
Thank you. Another thing that worries me is for public schools and hagwons I guess you are told what to teach in what manner but for private tutoring I am not sure how to go about teaching.

If you don't know how to go about teaching without someone telling you exactly what to do, then DON'T TEACH.  Seriously, SK doesn't need more people like you.