Read 3448 times

• emilprice
  • Adventurer

• March 20, 2014, 01:11:29 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Signing for 1 year, only staying for 4 months
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:09:22 pm »
So when I first agreed to work for my school last year November, it was also agreed that I'd keep working for 4 months after the contract, up untill febuary. I was told that this was possible and that I could just get a visa extension with them.

Well a year has passed and now they have told me that I can't get a visa extension and need to sign for another year. They say they are still fine with me leaving in febuary and will give me a letter of release and anything else thats necessary.

This is not a thread about weather they are screwing me or not, or lying.

I simply want to know after the 4 months is up, and I leave the school. What then?
Can I work anywhere aslong as I have the permission letter?
Can I work at multiple places?
Can I only work for 8 months at a place?
If I want to rest untill the summer then do summer camps is that possible? Can I do multiple camps?

These are my questions. Please help answer them if you can :)

• emilprice
  • Adventurer

• Seoul, South Korea
Re: Signing for 1 year, only staying for 4 months
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »
ahh and just to be clear, its a e-2 visa at a english academy

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:17:19 pm »
So, are you saying you will leave your job at the end of that four month period, but won't leave the country? Why?

If you get a letter of release, then you can get a D-10 visa and look for work elsewhere.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:18:55 pm »
This is not a thread about weather

http://images.1233.tw/beautiful-weather/ It should be.  :cheesy:

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »
I simply want to know after the 4 months is up, and I leave the school. What then?
Can I work anywhere aslong as I have the permission letter? - Yes
Can I work at multiple places? - Yes but only if you have permission from the people sponsoring your visa.
Can I only work for 8 months at a place? - No most likely the would offer you a 1 year contract.
If I want to rest until the summer then do summer camps is that possible? Can I do multiple camps?- Maybe, you can get job seeking visa for 6 months and then do camps. Not sure if the camps would employ sponsor a visa or be looking for someone that already has permission to work.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 03:21:30 pm »
1. Yes, it would be a case of simply transferring your visa. You may need up to date copies of certain documents, especially if you were transferring to a PS.
2. Yes. You'd need a primary E2 sponsor though.
3. No, You could do a transfer and extension, up to 1 year.
4. Yes it's possible. However, you'd need to get a C3? visa in order to work at a camp.
Basically. You leave your job, employer cancels your visa. You either need to change to a D10 visa (job seekers), find a job (which sponsors your visa), or leave the country.

• Korea13
  • Super Waygook

• May 29, 2013, 08:36:18 am
    • korea
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 03:34:55 pm »
I pretty sure it possible to extend you visa for another 4 months with the same employer.

If your school tell you that you can before and now said that you can't.

What make you think, after you sign another 1 year contract that your school is going to abide by that contract allowing you to break after only 4 months.

Not saying your school is purposely doing this to you, but what if they go back on their word and say that since you are only in 4 month on your new contract and quit. You wouldn't be getting you flight and must pay back the renew bonus (if you have one) back???

Something to think about.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:40:07 pm by Korea13 »

• emilprice
  • Adventurer

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 04:09:47 pm »
I am still confused.

So when I finish my 4 months, and leave the hagwon. If neither me nor my boss declare it, I still have the E2 visa for the remainder right? Are there any risks to this?

If my boss keeps sponsoring my visa even if I do not work there, can I just walk into multiple other jobs freely?

I want to know what the perks to my situation are as well as the disadvantages.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 04:41:28 pm »
I am still confused.

So when I finish my 4 months, and leave the hagwon. If neither me nor my boss declare it, I still have the E2 visa for the remainder right? Are there any risks to this?

If my boss keeps sponsoring my visa even if I do not work there, can I just walk into multiple other jobs freely?

Apart from the fact both you and your boss are breaking the law....

You can't "walk" into other jobs freely.

As he is your sponsor, you'd need his permission and immigration's approval every time you wished to take a job. You would need to submit a current copy of your contract, your new job's contract (as well as their business registration number) and a recent letter from your boss giving permission to immigration. The hours you worked on the "2nd job" would be limited, and obviously wouldn't be able to clash with your "primary job" As your "primary job" is from 2pm - 9pm, obviously any second/third job can't be within that time frame.

So yes, with your boss's help, you'd be able to pick up some part time work. However, at this point, the violations of immigration law wouldn't be able to be written off as a "mistake" or "I thought we'd reported it", it would look a lot more like fraud.

Skipping that out. You could (again illegally) stay on the E2 visa and not work, and when the time comes to change jobs, you could transfer over.

EDIT: Just to clear this up. Unless you have excluded something seriously important from your post, there is absolutely no benefit for your boss to not cancel your visa (sure, if he's a decent guy he may give you a few days grace). If and when you get caught, he'll get slapped with a huge fine, and may possibly not be able hire E2s for some time.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:44:21 pm by Menlyn »

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 04:41:29 pm »
I am still confused.

No, once you leave/quit your hagwon job, then your visa will be cancelled, because your hagwon sponsors your visa, so if you quit, then your hagwon boss will cancel your visa after you quit. Your E2 visa will not be valid for the remainder of the original 1-year period once you quit. If you want to find other jobs, your new job will have to sponsor your new visa (since you need an employer to sponsor your work visa). This wouldn't be the case if you were on an F-visa, but since you are not on an F-visa, it's a moot point.

• emilprice
  • Adventurer

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 05:12:17 pm »
Ahh I see.

So basically my visa will just be cancelled after the 4 months. Sorry for the fuss.

Is what you said correct? Korea13?

I was planning to just get them to pay me my severance and flights in febuary so everythings done and dusted at the same time. Didn't realize they'd have any grounds for demanding it to be repaid? or worse, refusing to pay it. The severance money and flights are from my first contract, not the new one. So surely they'd be unaffected?

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 05:40:40 pm »
I think it's pretty risky for your boss not to cancel your visa. There's a certain amount of time he has to report it to the immigration office. I'm not 100% sure but believe if you stayed on that visa sponsorship he would have to continue paying you according to your contract, and would get in trouble for not giving you the salary.

There are quite a few part-time jobs that pay in the ballpark of 1.5 to 1.8 mil per month that often give you permission and even sometimes facilitate private lessons / other part time work. They usually do not provide housing.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »
Ahh I see.

So basically my visa will just be cancelled after the 4 months. Sorry for the fuss.

Is what you said correct? Korea13?

I was planning to just get them to pay me my severance and flights in febuary so everythings done and dusted at the same time. Didn't realize they'd have any grounds for demanding it to be repaid? or worse, refusing to pay it. The severance money and flights are from my first contract, not the new one. So surely they'd be unaffected?

Yes he's correct. Your new contract just has to be a 4 month contract, and then immigration will only extend it for 4months.

As long as the extension contract doesn't include those penalty clauses, you will be entitled to your severance (irrelevent to contract, you're entitled regardless) and flight back.