Read 6488 times

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
Re: How to do with unrealistic working hours
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 10:30:15 am »
Tit for tat tactics are a bad way to go. If you are being exploited, or otherwise taken advantage of beyond the remit of your contract, then document and gather whatever evidence you can (bank statements will evidence late payment, phone records with the times of calls received from your boss when you allege certain conversations took place etc). Explain to your boss first why you are unhappy. Be factual, and to the point. Say what you need to see changed or else you'll be forced to seek professional advice. If the boss persists in their ways, then go to the labour board with your case. They will help you to resolve your issue.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 10:30:30 am »
I took a stand today. One of the only other foreigner teachers left and it was the other foreign teachers  first real day on his own. Me and him were waiting on the bus in the snow at 9:20. ( We both thought we were supposed to be at work at 9:30 ) My boss is trying to change the schedule around and get us to work 9-7. She called us both up at 9:30 while we were on the bus and was very rude to both of us. The bus was running late so we were both kinda late anyways.  I opted to just brush it off and say " Oh sorry, we must have had a lapse in communication" and she just hung up on me. I get to work and she confronted us and I said " Oh, I will think about it " I was trying to let me know in a polite way that we needed to discuss it privately and not in front of everyone.

On my break I went to my bank and seen if my payment was in there. Surprise surprise it is late. My pay is always late. I went back in the school and sat in her office and told her I think she needs to act more professional and that if she wants me to entertain the kids she has to pay me for it and that I did not come all this way to become a babysitter.  It's in my contract that my hours are will be ASSIGNED between 10-7, but it doesn't say that those are the working hours. Only that in between those hours my schedule will be assigned. I told her to knock it off with the nonsense or I'm leaving. It stays in my contract that I have a 6 hour maximum teaching block and she acted surprised about it. She started changing her tune really fast when I started mentioning all the ways the contract wasn't being upheld.

Good for you. Put that *T W A T* in her place
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:32:33 am by CanineKimchi »

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 11:57:11 am »
I'm sure that there will be more phone conversations that will come as well. I would recommend just recording them when she calls. It will list the time of the call and record it for you on your smart phone. This could help you for any situations that could possibly come up in the future. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »
I'd suggest standing up for yourself. I'd meet my minimum contractual requirements. Stop playing nice.  Then be prepared for war when you leave.  It's sad, but this seems a bit standard. Your hagwon will try to get it's pound of flesh.

• simw90
  • Adventurer

• January 05, 2014, 01:25:39 pm
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »
LOL.  You are at the wrong school.
I was at a hagwon and got an hour's lunch break.
The boss didn't care how we used the time that wasn't teaching.  Although she wanted us to be prepared for classes.