Read 85002 times

Re: What question asked by Koreans annoys you the most?
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2014, 10:25:38 am »
Do you know blah blah blah Korean athlete in the US? For one, I don't know any athletes in the US. For two, why do you care? Do you really find them to be a reflection of yourself? The nationalistic undertones here really turn me off.

Maybe I should just start saying "yeah, he sucks."
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2014, 10:59:35 am »
Do you know blah blah blah Korean athlete in the US? For one, I don't know any athletes in the US. For two, why do you care? Do you really find them to be a reflection of yourself? The nationalistic undertones here really turn me off.

The "do you know XYZ" is actually quite a common one for many non-American people. 
Even the most ignorant Korean probably knows of 100s of American celebrities. The average American may be able to name one or two Koreans. South Africans are also pretty bad at this. "Did you know XYZ is from South Africa?"

Obviously Americans don't need to do this, as their culture is pretty ubiquitous in this day and age.

I've even heard Canadians throw that out the ol... "Actually ABC is Canadian"

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

• March 29, 2014, 07:58:25 am
    • WI, USA (Hopefully Jinju soon)
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2014, 11:06:12 am »
Im ok with pretty much whatever people ask but there is one thing that just kills me.  Im white, and pretty white at that.  To the point where im really more pink and red that white.  Whatever, the point is that whenever something is spicy, not uncomfortably hot just basically spicy, my face gets really red.  Im fine with what im eating and happy.  but koreans who are not my friends will give me that super annoying smile like they know how much pain im in and finally ask the question.  Spicy?  I just say yes and breathe deeply through my newly cleared nostrils with a thumbs up.  they probably arent trying to be dicks. . . right?

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2014, 11:09:08 am »

Actually I think you'd annoy them a lot more if you just said 'no' . I started doing this every time a Korean asked me if I knew PSY and the looks of hurt pride and total astonishment I got were priceless

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2014, 11:12:13 am »
"You have perm?"

Nope, not everyone with curly hair does.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 11:18:36 am »

The "do you know XYZ" is actually quite a common one for many non-American people. 
Even the most ignorant Korean probably knows of 100s of American celebrities. The average American may be able to name one or two Koreans. South Africans are also pretty bad at this. "Did you know XYZ is from South Africa?"

Obviously Americans don't need to do this, as their culture is pretty ubiquitous in this day and age.

I've even heard Canadians throw that out the ol... "Actually ABC is Canadian"

I do this.

I also group sony, samsung, toyota, kia, and pokemon in the same group. It's enjoyable.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »
My students asked me if I wanted to visit Dokdo and I replied, "I just went to Japan for summer vacation. Why would I go back again so soon?" Oh I am so evil...

• fas6pa
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2014, 10:39:08 am
    • Daejeon
Things Koreans do that irks us
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2017, 01:35:34 pm »
I think most of you guys know the "Do you like broccoli/ice cream song" It's basically a song that starts out with two foods "do you like..." and then mixes them "do you like broccoli ice cream" for instance.

So I recently started teaching first graders and a few kids say that they really like foods that they shouldn't like. Even the damn video says "yucky" but they still like popcorn pizza or tomato pancakes. It doesn't make sense to me! A few kids always say "mashketa" and stuff. I mean maybe I can understand popcorn pizza since Koreans definitely **** pizza up--sweet potato pizza ahemm--but stuff like spaghetti yogurt? No way.

What other things that Koreans do irks you guys?

Re: Things Koreans do that irks us
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2017, 01:40:10 pm »
In my 4 years here, I have found that any level of discomfort is to be avoided at all costs.

Sometimes, you're hungry, it's okay. Deal with it.

Sometimes people are cold. It's okay, deal with it.

Sometimes awkward conversations need to be had, it's okay.

I find that Koreans will avoid any sort of discomfort like the plague.

Back home,

"It's cold out."

"Yup."

And you move on. We don't go around saying that it's cold for the next 4 hours, every 3 mins.

My Co-T is a great example of this. I mentioned building a small prison behind the school for the bad students (AS A JOKE, OBV) and she said, Oh, no, don't say that. That's not good.

Like, lighten up? I get that it's a different culture, but even if it's weird, just snort a chuckle and MOVE ON.

Example 2 This one is really weird. So, I went camping and my buddy has a drone. There were 9 tents on the beach and he got a top down shot of all of us. I show her the picture.

:police: Yeah, that's my tent there.

:-* Wow! Great picture. Drone is very interesting.

:police: Yeah, my buddy went to Yeouido for the cherry blossom festival with his drone. Bad idea, he got arrested because of the National Assembly building, hahaha. His Korean wife came to the station and explained everything, they let him go (Funny, silly anecdote, right?)

:-* Oh, I don't like drone, That is bad. IMMEDIATELY CHANGES SUBJECT

Like, what? I don't understand. Her English is good, it's not a vocabulary problem. Just............wei rd.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:47:01 pm by CO2 »

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2017, 01:47:21 pm »
I quiet enjoyed sweet potato on pizza.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2017, 01:50:43 pm »
I'm actually a fan of some of the Koreanized pizzas.  Sweet potato?  Oh yes.  Corn?  Aight.  Chicken tenders with sweet chili sauce drizzled over?  Oh hella to the yes. 

But mustard?  Aw nah!   >:(

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2017, 01:55:57 pm »
I think most of you guys know the "Do you like broccoli/ice cream song" It's basically a song that starts out with two foods "do you like..." and then mixes them "do you like broccoli ice cream" for instance.

So I recently started teaching first graders and a few kids say that they really like foods that they shouldn't like. Even the damn video says "yucky" but they still like popcorn pizza or tomato pancakes. It doesn't make sense to me! A few kids always say "mashketa" and stuff. I mean maybe I can understand popcorn pizza since Koreans definitely **** pizza up--sweet potato pizza ahemm--but stuff like spaghetti yogurt? No way.

Those kids are probably being little jerks. Most of my 1st and 2nd grade boys (elementary) last year would say "yummy" at the gross parts just so the girls would get upset. I'd just roll with it and be like "REALLY!??!?!? Ewwwwwwwww". They'd think they were hilarious, and they'd do it the next time too. I had a girl who thought it was hilarious to mix random foods (sometimes animals) together in the format of that song just to see my reactions. They're just being kids and trying to irk you :P

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2017, 02:00:59 pm »
Mustard doesn't belong on the pizza. Just for dipping the pizza.

Also Pizza School etc are great and should be praised.

Also mustard belongs on the beat.

Napoli Pizza is based pizza.

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2017, 02:02:05 pm »

1) They're kids. Kids do kid stuff. They aren't rational adults who give mature answers to this. I'm mystified so many NETs here, who each think they're geniuses and great at their job, are too dumb to realize this. They're kids. Of course they're not supposed to make sense. The day kids make sense is the day the world is no longer a fun place.

2) Anyone who thinks sweet potato pizza is "wrong" and thinks a "real" pizza is what they get from some pizza place back home is an idiot. It's no more wrong than pineapple, bbq chicken pizza, a Mexican pizza, and all the other pizzas we get back home. I also love how the people who think shrimp or squid is "inauthentic" or an abomination when in fact you're more likely to find those on real Italian pizza than frickin Canadian bacon. 

3) You'd be surprised what tastes good even though it sounds odd. Perhaps the most famous is the Wendy's Frosty and french fries but there are loads out there. Be open minded. 

• jeolla24
  • Waygookin

• September 15, 2015, 02:33:20 pm
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2017, 02:07:10 pm »
I'm irked at how dense OP is

• fas6pa
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2014, 10:39:08 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2017, 02:07:14 pm »

1) They're kids. Kids do kid stuff. They aren't rational adults who give mature answers to this. I'm mystified so many NETs here, who each think they're geniuses and great at their job, are too dumb to realize this. They're kids. Of course they're not supposed to make sense. The day kids make sense is the day the world is no longer a fun place.

2) Anyone who thinks sweet potato pizza is "wrong" and thinks a "real" pizza is what they get from some pizza place back home is an idiot. It's no more wrong than pineapple, bbq chicken pizza, a Mexican pizza, and all the other pizzas we get back home. I also love how the people who think shrimp or squid is "inauthentic" or an abomination when in fact you're more likely to find those on real Italian pizza than frickin Canadian bacon. 

3) You'd be surprised what tastes good even though it sounds odd. Perhaps the most famous is the Wendy's Frosty and french fries but there are loads out there. Be open minded.

Umm, no sir, if I may interrupt. If you would consult the dictionaries and the encyclopedias, then there are truly only two types of pizza (marinara, margherita). So, all other pizzas are indeed abominations and honestly they shouldn't even be called pizzas at all. However, Koreans go a step further and catapult these already-abominations into some sort of Sodom and Gomorrah era. It is unspeakable, sir!

Furthermore, yes they are kids. But they are capable of rational thought and I only expect rational thought from my students. They are aware that broccoli ice cream is irrational but still incorrectly claim that they like it. This sort of jest, for I am assuming that it is in jest they do this, has no place in our great educational systems and should be swiftly rooted out.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2017, 02:08:14 pm »

Any pizza under 10,000 for a whole pizza is based pizza.

Plus once you put half a bottle of sriracha on it, and half a dozen beers in you, it tastes awesome.

Speaking of tasty food abominations, I could really go for some deep fried cali rolls slathered with sriracha mayo. 

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »
Furthermore, yes they are kids. But they are capable of rational thought and I only expect rational thought from my students. They are aware that broccoli ice cream is irrational but still incorrectly claim that they like it. This sort of jest, for I am assuming that it is in jest they do this, has no place in our great educational systems and should be swiftly rooted out.

Have you considered that they full well know that this will irk you?

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:06 pm »

Any pizza under 10,000 for a whole pizza is based pizza.

Plus once you put half a bottle of sriracha on it, and half a dozen beers in you, it tastes awesome.

Speaking of tasty food abominations, I could really go for some deep fried cali rolls slathered with sriracha mayo.

That sounds like some delicious trash. I've never had deep fried cali rolls, before. Is that a thing?

:shocked: Never?? It's amazing garbage!!! I thought it was a common bastardization but maybe not. Mmmm get you some!!

• Ptolemy
  • Super Waygook

• January 09, 2017, 06:25:15 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2017, 02:33:45 pm »
I'm irked at how dense OP is

Yeah, I'm not really "irked" at much of anything in Korea, except maybe all these petty irkings.  :azn: