Read 86455 times

Re: Things Koreans do that irks us
« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
There are a shit load of stray dogs here, they also are sometimes cooked into 영양탕.

This is the first I've heard 영양탕. Just another word for  보신탕? I looked both of them up on Naver and interestingly 영양탕 translates to 'nutritional' soup and 보신탕 to 'rejuvenating' or 'strengthening' soup. ;D :huh: :sad:

Yeah I've had Koreans explain to me that dog is very nutritious and full of protein, etc. I mean, fine. But surely this is not wizard meat.

Dog meat is full of protein because it's meat, lmao.

It's not anymore nutritious than any other kind of meat, and is actually not the best kind of meat for human consumption. It's just a Korean misconception due to common practice started back in the day when protein was hard to come by. When you have limited food options, it becomes "very nutritious" -- better than little to no protein at all. The rest is a carryover from other countries for pretty much similar reasons.

Definitely not anymore nutritious than other options available, and other options would actually be more nutritious.

I don't personally have a problem with the consumption of dog meat, though, only with their treatment of the animals prior and their method of slaughter.

I agree 100 %.  To be honest, it tastes horrible though. If the recommended way to eat it consists of a large dab of pickled ginger with each bite, it probably isn't something that's worth eating.  I was told it makes it 'more delicious', but that's code for 'it hides the terrible taste'. 

« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2017, 05:27:02 pm »
Semantic issue...many have been calling these animals "strays", but most aren't strays in the least (they didn't stray from their home).

Most were disgarded/abandoned.

Yup!

Nevertheless, unless you've got a guaranteed plan to find it a home or adopt it yourself, leave it alone.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2017, 06:41:18 pm »
Wow, so much hostility and judgment.

[text redacted]

Finally, I would never choose to adopt a dog and then abandon it when I leave in a year. You know what they say about assuming, right? Anything else I need to defend myself against?

At least in regards to adopting/abandoning pets, I can only speak for myself when saying that I wasn't specifically directing my comments at you.  This is just a general thing that irks me: when some people adopt/buy pets for the brief time they are here only to struggle with rehoming them when they leave as they never intended to adopt the pets for life.

If you have permanently rescued a stray, then kudos to you. 

« Reply #343 on: June 02, 2017, 10:46:57 pm »
Why won't they level the pavements here? I was recently at a coffee shop outside of which a team of ajoshis had chiselled up the bricks and were laying new ones. Casting an eye along the progress they'd made, I could see all the random rises and dips that were previously there still in place. Surely it wouldn't be too much work to add some more sand or whatever it is they put under the bricks and level it off so that people can walk without randomly tripping or rolling ankles in unseen dips?

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• July 04, 2017, 10:35:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #344 on: August 03, 2017, 09:53:18 am »
Was at Vancouver airport last week and some ajoshie loudly coughed up his lung and spat it in the garbage can. I scolded him in Korean. Same with three Korean punk teenagers smoking and spitting on the street. I have to endure this behaviour here. I refuse to tolerate it in Canada.

Some people need to be house trained before they arrive in Canada - even as just tourists.

Leave your gross unhygienic customs at home.

And when the Air Canada flight crew tell you to sit down and fasten your seat belt, sit the &^%$ down and fasten your seat belt. If you get thrown through the cabin you're going to injure more than just yourself.

« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2017, 10:03:32 am »
Was at Vancouver airport last week and some ajoshie loudly coughed up his lung and spat it in the garbage can. I scolded him in Korean. Same with three Korean punk teenagers smoking and spitting on the street. I have to endure this behaviour here. I refuse to tolerate it in Canada.

Some people need to be house trained before they arrive in Canada - even as just tourists.

And when the Air Canada flight crew tell you to sit down and fasten your seat belt, sit the &^%$ down and fasten your seat belt. If you get thrown through the cabin you're going to injure more than just yourself.

I have no problem with this, provided you do it to other Canadians who spit (and if you claim Canadians don't spit- horseshit). Go outside some scuzzy bar in Windsor and you'll see plenty of people puffing on an ExportA or Player's or whatever and hacking a loogie.

If you only do it to Koreans, you're just a bigot.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2017, 10:11:45 am »
At least he spit it in the can?  :undecided: Instead of on the street/sidewalk?

Though if there's no garbage liner then ick. 

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:00 am »

I have no problem with this, provided you do it to other Canadians who spit (and if you claim Canadians don't spit- horseshit). Go outside some scuzzy bar in Windsor and you'll see plenty of people puffing on an ExportA or Player's or whatever and hacking a loogie.

What does "hacking a loogie" mean?

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2017, 10:57:40 am »

Koreans behaving like Koreans at a Canadian airport is one thing, but...
Westerners also press their expectations at non-western airports as well.

Personally, I've pissed off a westerner at Incheon airport for stepping up to order a cup of coffee. I didn't bump into him at all, just walked around him and went into his rather large personal space bubble.
He said in a rather angry tone "Excuse me?"
I said "Oh sorry, were you in line?"
"No, but can you at least say "Excuse me...?"
*Me bewildered* "Sorry, excuse me."

I didn't even touch the guy, he wasn't waiting in line either. I just merely invaded his personal space because I had been conditioned to living in Seoul for so long, and this guy was behaving like that in a crowded Incheon airport.

Personally I think that it's easy to offend people and be offended by people at airports because many of them may be on linked flights and/or they may not be conditioned to the different culture just yet and may have not adjusted their behavior/expectations.

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2017, 11:12:45 am »

It's "hocking a loogie" not hacking.

What is it? Well, see closest adjosshi for advice on the best way to do it.  But, the hock is the act of getting it up and out, the "loogie" is the mass that comes out.

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:48 am »

It's "hocking a loogie" not hacking.

What is it? Well, see closest adjosshi for advice on the best way to do it.  But, the hock is the act of getting it up and out, the "loogie" is the mass that comes out.

I'm aware of the terminology. Steelrails, however, seemed to be a bit confused about the terms. I was just wondering what exactly he thinks Canadians are doing all over the country. I just got back yesterday, and the only hocking / expelling of loogies I witnessed came from the afore-mentioned Asians. 

It's seriously taboo in Canada, and for good reason.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2017, 12:16:12 pm »

See/hear it quite often in Toronto from non-Asians, although it's still way more common in Asia (Korea and China).
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »

See/hear it quite often in Toronto from non-Asians, although it's still way more common in Asia (Korea and China).

Yeah, like a thousand times more common.

« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2017, 01:17:25 pm »

Certainly more common. The question still stands- do you do this to people of ALL backgrounds or just Koreans? Do you walk up to some big bikers and tell them to stop spitting?

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #354 on: August 03, 2017, 01:35:43 pm »
To my co-teachers: Stop pretending you understood what I said when you clearly didn't. I have no problem saying it again or trying to explain in simpler terms. That's pretty much my job description. I've actually started asking one of my co-teachers comprehension questions after I tell him anything.

Also, it's called "patience". Get some. If I'm otherwise engaged with a student or work on my computer, give me a minute. Don't rapidly and repeatedly insist I immediately turn my attention to you. Especially when you're interrupting me to help another student or you with your work. Gah!

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2017, 01:39:02 pm »

Certainly more common. The question still stands- do you do this to people of ALL backgrounds or just Koreans? Do you walk up to some big bikers and tell them to stop spitting?

This is some spectacular disingenuity. Hey Martino, if you tell a kid to pick up his litter, but not a tweaker packing a hand cannon covered in lewd facial tattoos you're a hypocrite!

« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2017, 01:44:35 pm »

This is some spectacular disingenuity. Hey Martino, if you tell a kid to pick up his litter, but not a tweaker packing a hand cannon covered in lewd facial tattoos you're a hypocrite!

It's an over-the-top comparison, but if you ONLY do it to Koreans/Asians and to no one else, that's bigotry (and cowardice).

• Maclean
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #357 on: August 03, 2017, 01:51:52 pm »

Yes, I say this to people of all backgrounds. Unfortunately the vast majority of people coughing up their lungs and spitting it on the ground in Canada are east Asians. Someone immigrating or visiting from Switzerland is not coming from a spitting culture. If they did, and partook of that practice in Canada, I'd call them on it. They don't, hence no need to call them out. I lived 20 years in Canada. I know of what I speak? You clearly don't.

As for your "big bikers" reference, what's your prejudice against people on motorbikes? We know you are hostile to bicyclists on the road. Now you're building up a negative stereotype of people who own motorcycles for some bizarre reason? Not surprising, I suppose, given your regular references to "black guys riding four deep".

What's with your morbid fascination with people's modes of transport and prejudiced stereotypes? I used to hang out with guys on motorcycles. There were several of them and they were obsessed with motorcycles - and Jesus. They rode their motorbikes to church.

So yeah, if I even caught them spitting (which I never did) I'd have happily called them out on it. As would they if I engaged in similarly vulgar behaviour.

« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2017, 01:55:34 pm »

Yes, I say this to people of all backgrounds. Unfortunately the vast majority of people coughing up their lungs and spitting it on the ground in Canada are east Asians. Someone immigrating or visiting from Switzerland is not coming from a spitting culture. If they did, and partook of that practice in Canada, I'd call them on it. They don't, hence no need to call them out. I lived 20 years in Canada. I know of what I speak? You clearly don't.

As for your "big bikers" reference, what's your prejudice against people on motorbikes? We know you are hostile to bicyclists on the road. Now you're building up a negative stereotype of people who own motorcycles for some bizarre reason? Not surprising, I suppose, given your regular references to "black guys riding four deep".

What's with your morbid fascination with people's modes of transport and prejudiced stereotypes? I used to hang out with guys on motorcycles. There were several of them and they were obsessed with motorcycles - and Jesus. They rode their motorbikes to church.

So yeah, if I even caught them spitting (which I never did) I'd have happily called them out on it. As would they if I engaged in similarly vulgar behaviour.

Cool story bro.

I totally believe you'd walk up to a bunch of Banditos or Hell's Angels and tell them to keep it down and not spit.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2017, 02:10:58 pm »
I'd say most people would avoid interacting with bikers. With their penchant for casual violence and what not. As usual steelrails chooses the most ludicrous extreme. I would tell other people, not involved in the criminal underworld, not to spit. Its fuckin gross.

Who is this Maclean guy? Is that you kim du han?
Kpip! - Martin 2018