Read 86453 times

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
Re: Things Koreans do that irks us
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2017, 08:08:01 pm »
Kind of on the topic at hand-- I think it's interesting that most of my students can typically read/write English better than they can speak it but when it comes to Korean my speaking is better than my writing (not that my speaking is anything to speak of  :P).  I can read hangul well enough but if I have to spell something when messaging in Korean I'm always double checking basic words because I haven't had enough exposure to memorize how a lot of them are spelled. Like ㅐ versus ㅔ ugh. 

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2017, 08:10:28 pm »

this isn't a topic about proving ability. it's kind of weird to just assume people are making stuff up?

You are confusing points here. That sentence wasn't addressing the loss of writing skills, but was in regards to someone being able to order something, but being unable to comprehend the follow up questions that may arise.

someone can't read your writing while ordering something??? i don't know why you're bringing up follow up questions based on writing.

i'm not confusing points. the point is that you shouldn't judge someone's speaking ability of a second language via one sample online. again, speaking fluency has nothing to do with writing! if you're an ESL teacher who is taking points off in their conversation class for their writing ability, you're doing it wrong. sorry buddy, i have friends with masters who can back me up.

we live in a technological world. we don't have to rely on memory as much for writing. i can quickly look something on my phone's dictionary if i forget a word in a conversation.

Speaking at a 5th grade level is good, but think of all the ESL people we encounter back home at uni. If you're at TOPIK 5, then you are above my level, but we should still strive for better.

i taught korean exchange students in lab classes during UNI. they did not speak at a 5th grader level at all. more just "uh yes!" "hm no!" they could write though. they were the only students who would use the singular "datum". I always wondered if they were paying someone though.

« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2017, 08:15:53 pm »

this isn't a topic about proving ability. it's kind of weird to just assume people are making stuff up?

You are confusing points here. That sentence wasn't addressing the loss of writing skills, but was in regards to someone being able to order something, but being unable to comprehend the follow up questions that may arise.

someone can't read your writing while ordering something??? i don't know why you're bringing up follow up questions based on writing.

Nevermind. You are missing what I am saying and I don't want to go through it. It's a wash here.

i'm not confusing points. the point is that you shouldn't judge someone's speaking ability of a second language via one sample online. again, speaking fluency has nothing to do with writing! if you're an ESL teacher who is taking points off in their conversation class for their writing ability, you're doing it wrong. sorry buddy, i have friends with masters who can back me up.

we live in a technological world. we don't have to rely on memory as much for writing. i can quickly look something on my phone's dictionary if i forget a word in a conversation.

Of course you wouldn't dock points for spelling in a speaking class, but I would hope that someone who is able to take a speaking class would be able to spell a basic word. Again, this isn't a speaking class and all I have to go off is what you give me here.

Speaking at a 5th grade level is good, but think of all the ESL people we encounter back home at uni. If you're at TOPIK 5, then you are above my level, but we should still strive for better.

i taught korean exchange students in lab classes during UNI. they did not speak at a 5th grader level at all. more just "uh yes!" "hm no!" they could write though. they were the only students who would use the singular "datum". I always wondered if they were paying someone though.

I wonder where you went to school. At my uni all of the Korean students were essentially perfect at English.

Also, I fucked up the formatting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:18:38 pm by HiddenPerson »

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• south korea
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:06 pm »
Kind of on the topic at hand-- I think it's interesting that most of my students can typically read/write English better than they can speak it but when it comes to Korean my speaking is better than my writing (not that my speaking is anything to speak of  :P).  I can read hangul well enough but if I have to spell something when messaging in Korean I'm always double checking basic words because I haven't had enough exposure to memorize how a lot of them are spelled. Like ㅐ versus ㅔ ugh.

i wonder how many koreans have perfect TOEIC scores but say sentences like this "uuuhh hellow. i wouldu like-uh talk with you? is okay? why here in korea? girls? yes?" cause i've met a few

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• south korea
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2017, 08:21:17 pm »

Nevermind. You are missing what I am saying and I don't want to go through it. It's a wash here.

Of course you wouldn't dock points for spelling in a speaking class, but I would hope that someone who is able to take a speaking class would be able to spell a basic word. Again, this isn't a speaking class and all I have to go off is what you give me here.

I wonder where you went to school. At my uni all of the Korean students were essentially perfect at English.

oh damn you messed up formatting. now i'm not sure if you know how to use the internet well? all i have is this to go on......hmmm well good luck with your foruming!  :P

« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:25 pm »

oh damn you messed up formatting. now i'm not sure if you know how to use the internet well? all i have is this to go on......hmmm well good luck with your foruming!  :P

I blame my mac~

« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:09 pm »
If a person is claiming to speak English but they spelled a basic word wrong, I would question their ability. Especially if they only used 3-4 words from that language in their post.

But Go I Cambrij Univercity

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »
If a person is claiming to speak English but they spelled a basic word wrong, I would question their ability. Especially if they only used 3-4 words from that language in their post.

But Go I Cambrij Univercity

5 werds ur gud

« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2017, 10:05:20 pm »
Klown logic, common sense & city planning are demonstrated perfectly with a single image.

jpg imagescertificity.com

I imagine that the drainage system existed long before the bike path and the recently resurfaced road. You are basically asking for the city to completely tear up the drainage system which was installed long before bike paths were considered a part of city planning (We're talking something on the order of 40+years).

Now you can either spend millions in tax revenue overhauling the drainage system so it blends perfectly with bike paths (rather than spending it on schools, parks, community services, etc.) OR you could have a few spots like this which are inconvenient.

Guess the klown without common sense or any grasp of city planning is you.

And 'klown' is really dodgy man. We're talking 'the blacks'/'coolie' territory.

You are being far too kind. He clearly has far deeper issues than being molested by the 'klowns'.

« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2017, 08:01:48 am »
The bitter lifers who just whine about this place and cant speak a lick of Korean or even read it are sad, but the people who go on and on about Korean grammar and their TOPIK score or whatever are somehow worse.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2017, 08:05:36 am »
The bitter lifers who just whine about this place and cant speak a lick of Korean or even read it are sad, but the people who go on and on about Korean grammar and their TOPIK score or whatever are somehow worse.
The problem with those koreaboos is that they have a serious superiority complex. They like to think that they are different from the "bad/lazy/loser foreigner." In reality, they are extremely insecure about their own identity as a foreigner. These types of people are more common in Japan as there are many people in love with Japanese culture trying to assimilate to it while living in Japan.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:27 am »
The problem with those koreaboos is that they have a serious superiority complex. They like to think that they are different from the "bad/lazy/loser foreigner." In reality, they are extremely insecure about their own identity as a foreigner. These types of people are more common in Japan as there are many people in love with Japanese culture trying to assimilate to it while living in Japan.
I have a friend who is like that. She studied here for a semester and went back home to change her major to Korean studies and now only hangs out with Korean/Korean americans and studies Korean so she can come back.

« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2017, 08:52:38 am »
OMG, people arguing about Korean spelling and how believable a person you've never met is about his/her own Korean fluency -- SHUT UP!

« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:40 am »
lol I dunno why everyone's giving HiddenPerson such a hard time. When I saw 왜국 I rolled my eyes too. There are a lot of people who claim they speak Korean very well but in reality can't so his reaction to such a simple misspelling is quite reasonable.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:39 am »
lol I dunno why everyone's giving HiddenPerson such a hard time. When I saw 왜국 I rolled my eyes too. There are a lot of people who claim they speak Korean very well but in reality can't so his reaction to such a simple misspelling is quite reasonable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is."

"Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:[4]

fail to recognize their own lack of skill
fail to recognize the extent of their inadequacy
fail to accurately gauge skill in others
recognize and acknowledge their own lack of skill only after they are exposed to training for that skill"

Don't make fun of people's 핸굴 you 왜이구긴.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:12:50 am by cjszk »

« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2017, 09:24:49 am »
Can confirm; I was one of those people. Couldn't figure out why everyone spoke English to me when I spoke Korean. Figured out I sucked at Korean. Went on to study hard. Now it happens <10% of the time and when it does happen will be like "damn my Korean sucks" instead of "wtf is wrong w/ these people"

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2017, 09:39:21 am »

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is."

"Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:[4]

recognize and acknowledge their own lack of skill only after they are exposed to training for that skill"

I did this soooo much, still do sometimes.

"my speaking is low but I can read and understand quite well" etc is one of the most spoken phrases about Korean by expats. I am super guilty of saying it myself. These days I feel it translates to

"I don't really speak Korean but I feel a bit embarrassed about it, so I am going to say to myself that my understanding is good"

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• south korea
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2017, 09:42:13 am »

okay, well good luck being ESL teachers y'all. "i'm sorry, i can't understand your spoken English. you made a spelling mistake"

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2017, 09:45:29 am »

okay, well good luck being ESL teachers y'all. "i'm sorry, i can't understand your spoken English. you made a spelling mistake"
teacher you make spelling mistake you bad teacher my better English

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• south korea
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:20 am »

this is so absurd. one spelling mistake = not being able to order food effectively???

going by that standard my fluent English speaking korean partner would have to be ignored all the time in the states. he makes plenty of writing errors in English.