Read 7795 times

• alexc2000
  • Veteran

• October 13, 2012, 10:20:21 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
    more
Re: choosing between EPIK and multiple Hagwon jobs
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 02:42:19 pm »
Take the EPIK job. I know very few people who last at a hagwon for more than a year (two at the most).  This is either due to hating it and leaving, getting screwed over, the hagwon folding, etc. Pick your reason, you'll have WAY more teaching hours at a hagwon, less vacation, and less job security while working there.

true
You have to do the research.

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:19 pm »
Look like EPIK is dead and hagwons are terrible. Look into Japan or China.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• alexc2000
  • Veteran

• Gwangju, South Korea
    more
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 02:39:55 am »
update:

I went ahead and went with EPIK instead.
I will just use the free time to study.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 06:03:08 am »
Look like EPIK is dead and hagwons are terrible. Look into Japan or China.

Are there more Japan jobs than EPIK?
What kind of things are horrible about hagwons (long hours, no guaranteed breaks?) that are not in Japan/China?

• kitster1
  • Adventurer

• December 06, 2010, 09:34:41 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 10:22:22 am »
OP, I don't know your credentials or background, but I think you're thinking along the correct lines venturing outside ps jobs to strike it big over a long haul. I have a friend who graduated from a private top tier US uni, and teaches SAT math as a 'private mercenary'. Although not a celeb teacher, he takes home an astronomical amount.  These are exceptional cases, but if you're as ambitious as you say you are (looking to buy those "houses"), working ordinary ps and hagwon jobs won't get you there. (Unless you plan to live frugally over a long haul - maybe you can save up for a property somewhere in the sticks).

This is coming from someone who banked 20K his first year in SK effortlessly.

Although hagwons are a bigger risk, it gives you a broader age group to work with as you stated, some are excellent and gives you potential to work up the corporate ladder. I know people who are head teachers, teaching teachers; and others who are running their own businesses now.

P.S jobs are safe to start with, while you study and build up a repertoire. In the mean time, P.s. jobs also offer afterschool programs, where you can easily get an extra 250+/mos (sometimes 500+). If your school doesn't offer this to you, it doesn't hurt to ask them you're interest in opening one. It's perfectly legit, and also gets your name and face out with parents and the community. And you're a.s. enterprise can grow term by term.  Then you can potentially clear 3K/mos working 9-5. Not bad.  (Small tip though, try not to come off greedy or too money hungry. People sense it fast, and it can be a big turn off. I learned).

Congrats and Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:34:44 am by kitster1 »

• alexc2000
  • Veteran

• Gwangju, South Korea
    more
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 06:05:00 pm »
OP, I don't know your credentials or background, but I think you're thinking along the correct lines venturing outside ps jobs to strike it big over a long haul. I have a friend who graduated from a private top tier US uni, and teaches SAT math as a 'private mercenary'. Although not a celeb teacher, he takes home an astronomical amount.  These are exceptional cases, but if you're as ambitious as you say you are (looking to buy those "houses"), working ordinary ps and hagwon jobs won't get you there. (Unless you plan to live frugally over a long haul - maybe you can save up for a property somewhere in the sticks).

This is coming from someone who banked 20K his first year in SK effortlessly.

Although hagwons are a bigger risk, it gives you a broader age group to work with as you stated, some are excellent and gives you potential to work up the corporate ladder. I know people who are head teachers, teaching teachers; and others who are running their own businesses now.

P.S jobs are safe to start with, while you study and build up a repertoire. In the mean time, P.s. jobs also offer afterschool programs, where you can easily get an extra 250+/mos (sometimes 500+). If your school doesn't offer this to you, it doesn't hurt to ask them you're interest in opening one. It's perfectly legit, and also gets your name and face out with parents and the community. And you're a.s. enterprise can grow term by term.  Then you can potentially clear 3K/mos working 9-5. Not bad.  (Small tip though, try not to come off greedy or too money hungry. People sense it fast, and it can be a big turn off. I learned).

Congrats and Good luck.

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, it's true that you should not seem too greedy. The key is to develop a relationship with the person or organization rather than just simply ask them to give you a money making opportunity.