Read 3333 times

Need game Idea for Spring Camp
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:20:21 am »
Hi, my spring camp starts on Feb. 18th and I'm trying to plan everything out. I'll be teaching 2nd graders and I'm doing a lesson on food for a day. Basically I'm showing the kids powerpoints which have pictures of food on them. We'll go over the different types of food. Initially I was going to have them make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but the school does not have enough money for that. Any fun, creative ideas on a game over food?

• mtnbk13
  • Adventurer

• November 09, 2009, 09:47:17 am
    • Busan
Re: Need game Idea for Spring Camp
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:39:49 am »
you could have them write directions on how to make a pbj.  then shell out 10 bucks for a loaf of bread, jelly, and peanut butter.  bring it to class and call on students to tell you how to make a pbj.  follow their directions exactly (i.e. "put the peanut butter on the bread"= set the jar of peanut butter on the loaf of bread).  with 2nd graders you probably won't have anyone do a perfect job, but it would be a fun way to spend ten minutes practicing and laughing at the end of class. 

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:28:21 am »
You could divide them into groups, each group brainstorms a type of sandwich then has to draw it and list its ingredients.  Then after each group has finished their sandwiches get them to show them to the class, and after every group has gone, make up actions for each sandwich. So maybe for the fish sandwich (ew) they'd have to make a fish face... Then go through each sandwich and action for the sandwich a couple times until they have know them and get them to stand up then hold up a sandwich and the last person to make the correct action or anyone who makes the wrong action has to come to the front and help you spot the wrong actions, and or the last person.  I've done a game like this before, students love it because they actually get to decide things (the actions and who messes up).

• complex303
  • Featured Contributor

• December 02, 2009, 09:34:06 am
    • California
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:07:07 am »
Do you know how many 2nd graders? 
Also, what kind of food?  Fruits, vegetables, dairy, entree items, breakfast items?

My 1st and 2nd graders like Hot Potato.  Print out flashcards (about 15 or 20) of the items you're teaching, and put them face up on the floor or table.  When they have the hot potato, they choose a flashcard and say what it is.  ..I only have 6 students though, so this might not work with big groups. 

Another game I play is "Bring Me.." Scatter the flashcards around the classroom, and then have the students race to bring you a certain flashcard.  For example, I say "I like strawberries!" and they race to find me strawberries.  If there's a lot of kids I'll split them into teams.  And if there's one kid who doesn't want to play (or keeps losing), I make him pick the food I say, or keep score.

Hope this helps.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:01:08 am »
 Use post it notes to make a treasure hunt. Have each team a different color post it note. Each post it note say's the location of the next one. Look under the clock.