Read 7639 times

Re: Akward situation
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:47 am »
Just to point it out its not that i need ppt.

Its that they expect me to teach the text book and I MUST  use the materials on the disk.

i am not allowed to improvise

lol wat

what the hell are you meant to do with the CD? throw it at them?

• xorbak
  • Adventurer

• April 27, 2013, 01:43:16 am
    • Yesan-gun, Chungcheongnamdo, Korea
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 10:29:06 am »
Frankly I'm sick of being a slave to PPT.  I'm beginning to resent it and try to change the types of lessons and activities, but there are too many classes and students to do it properly so it is largely piecemeal.  Plus I don't even have a classroom like you do.

If I was you I would break the classroom into stations, reading station, writing station, speaking station, listening station. 

Plan small activities for each and split the students into groups and rotate them around the class every 9 minutes.

Id love it but my principle once came in while i was doing reading and started to scream at me because "the office of education said we need to do the books" after i told the right channels that i want to do it.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 10:29:56 am »
Why are some of you so harsh on the OP? He is asking for tools to do his job. Chill people, he is not being unreasonable.

I don't know, I was just having fun. After seeing a few hundred of these on waygook, you can only really tell someone to help themselves so many times. There's nothing any of us can say or do to help him. He wants it fixed he has to go get it fixed. I'm just having some good old fashion razzing of coworkers, just joshing him around, giving him the business, roasting his hide, kissing him softly...uhm...

basically all you can do is ask for a new screen. If they say no, you have two options. Say you won't work til you get one, or work without one in your room, this does not rule out the option of finding random empty rooms, there is always at least one class in P.E.

• xorbak
  • Adventurer

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 10:31:13 am »
Just to point it out its not that i need ppt.

Its that they expect me to teach the text book and I MUST  use the materials on the disk.

i am not allowed to improvise

lol wat

what the hell are you meant to do with the CD? throw it at them?

ha no the materials is on the disk...

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 10:35:19 am »
Hire a few student co conspirators and swap the broken one for one that works somewhere else in secret.  It could be like mission impossible.

http://imgur.com/gallery/3b4uf

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:29 am »
I spoke to my COT and i cant use the home room because they use those classes for other lessons when they have English

This isn't an awkward situation, this is Koreans trying to be as cheap as possible while also not doing anything the low-rung foreigner asks them to do.

The awkward situation is I need to go to the office of education to get anything done but i am afraid that if i go to the course coordinator my school is going to be insulted or take offence to it like the last time I needed to do that.

Uh the MOE is there for when your school tries to screw you over about something in the contract. They are not there to improve your work situation. You shouldn't really ever go to them for stuff like this, they will not help you and your school will get annoyed that you are going around them instead of being a good peon and obediently dealing with their hierarchy.

If you can't use homerooms and nobody is getting the TV fixed, like I said just tell them you're teaching without a TV because it's impossible, and walk away and let them deal with it. Anytime anyone fusses at you about not using the TV, show them that it's broken or cross your arms into an X. I think the Korean for "it's broken" is something like "manga josseoyo" but don't quote me on that. If the principal yells at you about it then show him the broken TV, and he can go tell his underlings to solve the problem, which even he will know isn't your responsibility.

Honestly you just need to learn where your responsibility begins and ends. The TV is not your responsibility.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:44:45 am by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• xorbak
  • Adventurer

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 11:11:11 am »
Hire a few student co conspirators and swap the broken one for one that works somewhere else in secret.  It could be like mission impossible.

http://imgur.com/gallery/3b4uf

I needed some imgur that made e feel a bit better ^^

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 11:20:22 am »
The TV is not your responsibility.
+1.

I don't really understand why this is an issue.
If the TV is broken, let somebody know.
Tell them that you can't do part from the text, because they require a TV.
Make lesson content to replace what you are no longer able to do.

It's not your responsibility to ensure that your classroom has a TV... it's theirs. Just make sure everybody is informed about the situation.
Ask your co-teacher for input on how you should compensate for the missing resources, and your ass should be duly covered.

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference."

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:16:48 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 11:35:13 am »
The speakers still work right?
Good enough.

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »
They won't do anything about it this year.

They may fix it next year.

There probably isn't enough budget to fix it and the money for the TV comes out of the English department (if the TV is part of the English room).

Yes it sucks and it's not your fault, nor should it be your problem to deal with.

The reason I know this is because I have almost the exact same problem. Our TV is so bad the students can't read or focus on the screen. I have complained (and my teachers have complained) to the higher ups following the chain of command but when it comes down to it, we don't have any money to fix it. We won't get it fixed until next September!

I've requested to switch rooms for my after school and I explained why I need a working TV to my Co-Teacher. He has nicely enough given me his homeroom class. Luckily I only teach in the broken TV English room 5 times a week, but the kids are really good about dealing with it.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 12:37:20 pm »
It sounds like you're in a public school. If you are, why does it sound like you're teaching alone? It's very clear in my contract that I am here to assist the Korean teacher. A broken TV should be his or her problem exclusively.

Look at the TV, shrug your shoulders, make a long and loud hissing sound whilst sucking air in through your teeth and say 'impossible'.
Hail Caesar

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »
I spoke to my COT and i cant use the home room because they use those classes for other lessons when they have English

I'll bet my weekly kimchi ration that they're not using those homerooms when the students have English class

"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »
"This sort of thing would never happen in Japan"

Sometimes you just gotta let 'em know

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 01:36:07 pm »
"This sort of thing would never happen in Japan"

Sometimes you just gotta let 'em know

Haha, its true though. Japanese classrooms don't have TVs.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:16 pm »
Gosh..this topic is so akward. Just so akward...

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 09:08:58 am »
If they know about it and aren't doing anything, it's probably a budgetary issue. Pushing them and going to the MOE might make things worse.

As annoying as it sounds after teaching here, doing games and the like without a TV/PPT isn't too hard. You'll have to rely more on worksheets and spend a little more time making materials by hand, but it won't be awful.

Here's a site many foreign teachers in Japan use. I don't think any of the games or activities use technology: http://www.englipedia.net/Pages/JHS.aspx

Good luck!
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 01:00:57 pm »
It doesn't sound like the screen is going to be replaced any time soon. Who knows where the money for the English department went, could've been pissed away on snacks for all the teacher's meetings, or a new set of golf clubs for the VP. It's entirely possible there is a brand new big-screen TV sitting in storage somewhere in your school, only to be wheeled into the lobby once a year for special events.

I would just try to make the best of it. Does the sound work? Have students act out the roles, draw comic strips using the dialogues and stuff like that.

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 01:24:27 pm »
Ask to use the homerooms... that TV will be fixed in no time!

I thought of that but what bothers me is why have a whole English classroom then?

Sometimes, there just isn't money to fix the problem. I have been without a TV in the room for 2 years, and I just roam around and use the other classrooms. Actually, it is kind of a perk, because that big classroom is now quiet, and my own personal office. I also can host activities in there when I want, and set up the classroom prior, so that it doesn't cut into class time. Maybe it could be nice to just see if homerooms, or other classrooms are available during your time slots.

• sass
  • Veteran

• August 19, 2009, 01:57:00 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 07:35:45 pm »
Find out when your next open class or parent's day is. Plan a lesson that requires the TV. Watch TV issue be fixed immediately. This is how our English classroom got a brand new TV.