Ugly Churches of Korea
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:42:41 pm »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: Ugly Churches of Korea
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »
Why should anyone care? Christians, in particular, shouldn't care at all because there is nothing in their book about going to church, but there is a lot in that book about giving away their money to charity. If anything, they should just go outside to worship and drop the building.

Well, yes you are right. The building shouldn't matter. But if you ARE going to have a church building you could at least try to make it attractive. I'm not saying everything has got to look like the Cologne Cathedral, but I've always thought they could try to blend some traditional Korean architecural concepts and make original style Asian churches.

Also, the captions for each picture are pretty funny too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:27:00 pm by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• terivinix
  • Expert Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 02:20:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:39:53 pm »
I'm a big fan of this site now and I hope they keep going. Lots to cover in Korea. I feel like I've seen the Pablo Picasso lobotomy one before in person, but can't remember where.

Well, yes you are right. The building shouldn't matter. But if you ARE going to have a church building you could at least try to make it attractive. I'm not saying everything has got to look like the Cologne Cathedral, but I've always thought they could try to blend some traditional Korean architecural concepts and make original style Asian churches.

The only example I can think of that blends Korean architecture is Saenamteo, one massive Catholic shrine in Yongsan.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:57:28 pm »
It's not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside that counts. 

• fourthchild
  • Veteran

• March 07, 2012, 01:23:38 pm
    • Hwacheon, Gangwondo, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »
Hehehe Hilarious!  I've often thought how ugly the Christian buildings are here.

I am a Christian but Buddhists definitely get their architechture better than Christians - at least in Korea anyway.

• GenericPie
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2013, 06:28:59 am
    • Sangju, Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 06:06:55 pm »
I'm a big fan of this site now and I hope they keep going. Lots to cover in Korea. I feel like I've seen the Pablo Picasso lobotomy one before in person, but can't remember where.

I found that one in Seoul, just along from Chungmuro station. Whoever designed it must've been on drugs.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:14:04 pm by GenericPie »

• terivinix
  • Expert Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 02:20:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 09:37:23 pm »

I found that one in Seoul, just along from Chungmuro station. Whoever designed it must've been on drugs.

Yeah, I was thinking it must be near Namsan, thanks.

By the way, are these all yours, or do you take submissions?

• GenericPie
  • Adventurer

• Sangju, Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:16:47 am »
Yeah, I was thinking it must be near Namsan, thanks.

By the way, are these all yours, or do you take submissions?

Submissions are more than welcome (provided they're ugly enough!). There's an email address on the 'About' section of the site that you can send them to.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 07:31:42 am »
I really enjoyed these. Keep it up. Also, the captions were pretty amusing.
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 07:41:43 am »
Why should anyone care? Christians, in particular, shouldn't care at all because there is nothing in their book about going to church, but there is a lot in that book about giving away their money to charity. If anything, they should just go outside to worship and drop the building.

Also, the captions for each picture are pretty funny too.

That is fair. We are all allowed to have our opinions, but why the hell is my posting deleted???

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 08:08:14 am »
Yeah the churches are really scary looking here.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Mizzuru
  • Waygookin

• February 24, 2014, 07:42:01 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 08:47:11 am »
I don't really think its so much ugly churches of korea and it's more a case of ugly modern churches. My own village in England has 4 churches, a CoE church founded in the Norman period, a Methodist church from the 1910s, a red brick Catholic church from the 50s and a Mormon church built about 10 years ago. Frankly the Mormon church is an eyesore but it's just a product of its time. You can go anywhere and find ugly churches, especially in countries like korea where Christianity wasn't even legal until 100 years ago. European nations especially had schools of architecture based on churches for centuries so there are a lot of styles and there was a lot of state building of churches. That's just not the case here.
Personally I kind of find the churches here fascinating. Looking out over a seoul skyline with all those neon crucifixes it's like something from blade runner. Not that I've been in any of them, bar a cathedral in Jeonju which was painfully baroque.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 09:17:24 am »
I don't really think its so much ugly churches of korea and it's more a case of ugly modern churches. My own village in England has 4 churches, a CoE church founded in the Norman period, a Methodist church from the 1910s, a red brick Catholic church from the 50s and a Mormon church built about 10 years ago. Frankly the Mormon church is an eyesore but it's just a product of its time. You can go anywhere and find ugly churches, especially in countries like korea where Christianity wasn't even legal until 100 years ago. European nations especially had schools of architecture based on churches for centuries so there are a lot of styles and there was a lot of state building of churches. That's just not the case here.
Personally I kind of find the churches here fascinating. Looking out over a seoul skyline with all those neon crucifixes it's like something from blade runner. Not that I've been in any of them, bar a cathedral in Jeonju which was painfully baroque.

What are you thoughts on Paddy's Wigwam in Liverpool. It's modern and kinda ugly but I think it has character.  Also, it would have been tough to better or even match the Anglican Cathedral so why not go for something different.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 09:36:46 am »
Have you seen any of the other buildings?

This country's architecture alone is probably contributing to the high suicide rate.

• GenericPie
  • Adventurer

• Sangju, Korea
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 09:42:00 am »

You're definitely right about there being ugly churches everywhere and my town in England is no different, but to me the ones in Korea are on a whole other level.  I mean, however bad the churches are in your village, I doubt they have bright green steeples, 50 foot concrete crosses or are shaped like lopsided triangles and peppered with asymmetrical windows. The ugly churches in the UK are League 1 standard to the Premiership ugliness of Korean churches.

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 09:43:41 am »

This country's architecture alone is probably contributing to the high suicide rate.

Well that is the danger of building too much too fast.  They clearly settled on a few key designs and just blasted them all out.

You can see it in the UK when there was a huge building boom with the rows upon rows of terraced houses everywhere.

Still more space in a terraced house than the chicken boxes here though.  Even though they are more modern and better equipped I would still prefer to live in a proper house.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:20 am »

It is dire and does provide many high launch platforms.

Some of those high-rise buildings are showing their age inside and are suffering from being built to low standards. When I see a building that isn't horribly ugly or has some character it makes me a little happy. It takes some special skill to build an urban environment are uniformly ugly as Korea. You would think by sure character they might have hit on a few gems but no.

• Mizzuru
  • Waygookin

• February 24, 2014, 07:42:01 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 10:33:25 am »
A lot of replies here.
Personally I don't like 'paddies Wigwam' like you said it's sort of divisive, I actually have a lot of family in liverpool and even they don't like it.
And I agree with the sentiment, there is no point trying to copy the original cathedrals of Europe and the Middle East as thats a different heritage and were born of different things. They were also hugely expensive and took generations to build, this is a faster and more more modern world.
And again I feel that it's not even a case of quick building but just unpleasant and often brutalist design, and again this is not uniquely korean. Speaking from the UK again, places like Bradford are blotted by the same '60s architecture and regeneration is a huge and expensive project, same for parts of london, the the infamous tower hamlets from for example, and a large majority of Northern cities. It is just more apparent here because many large cities lost their architectural heritage and the choice was aesthetics or practicality, in such a time practicality won. You see the same in other places. East Berlin for one is particularly blighted by these building, many long abandoned. Even historically after the great fire of London there were great plans for restructuring and redevelopment, but the needs of quick housing and stability for the City meant it was just all crammed back in and wouldn't be resolved until the slum clearances much, much later.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:33:44 am by Mizzuru »

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2013, 07:46:49 pm
    • Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 10:37:00 am »
It's not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside that counts.

Thats what ugly churches say!

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 10:40:40 am »