Read 4293 times

After 2 years with EPIK in a mid size city I am looking to head up north to the big smoke.  Well, it will be 2 years when the contract is up, but with contract renewal time coming up I'm considering: "what shall I do?"

I'm hoping to get in Seoul or surrounds.  I'm certainly not set on Seoul. Incheon, Bucheon, anywhere close is good too. 

The reason for the move is that I could do with a change of pace. This city has been good to me, but I find myself in Seoul most weekends anyhow, for various reasons I won't bother putting here. 

So the question is: Is GEPIK worth looking into, or should I go another route? I have the TEFL certificate, but no teaching degree unfortunately.  I have actually kind of enjoyed working in public schools for the most part, but after reading another thread I'm wondering if that is my best route, GEPIK.... and then there are hagwons, which are obviously hit and miss so we don't need to retread that line.

Any thoughts?

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
Re: After 2 years with EPIK looking to move... any thoughts on GEPIK?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:11:47 pm »
Nothing wrong with GEPIK.

Most GEPIK schools are direct-hires. So you apply to a recruiter, and then they set up the interviews with the schools themselves. Most of them prefer in-person interviews (usually in Mid-January, so you may need to use a vac day or 2 in order to go for interviews). One of the major benefits of a direct hire, is that you can "choose" your location. Obviously if you are very picky, options may be limited, but it's less of a crap shoot than EPIK.

The contract is pretty standard, but like all public schools, each one is different, and whether they are good or not usually depends on the staff (a good number of whom change every year).

There are many locations within commuting distance of Seoul, and for day to day living, many actually prefer living in the orbit of Seoul as opposed to the city itself.

One thing to note, for the most part, GEPIK has phased out NETs in secondary schools, so expect to be teaching elementary.

• corkireland
  • Waygookin

• August 18, 2014, 03:53:50 am
    • Cork City, Ireland.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:08:50 pm »
Hi!
Sorry to hijack your thread, I just received an e-mail from a recruiter saying that there are no vacancies within the GEPIK program. Can anyone recommend a recruiter please
corkireland

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:43:08 pm »
Hi!
Sorry to hijack your thread, I just received an e-mail from a recruiter saying that there are no vacancies within the GEPIK program. Can anyone recommend a recruiter please
corkireland

Since we don't know who your recruiter is and the risk is that we recommend the one you have already, but anyhoo... try Korvia.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:53:47 am »
@corkireland
I don't mind the thread being hikacked as much as I don't like the info provided.

Can anyone else confirm that there are no positions available in GEPIK?

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 07:59:04 am »
There are always positions bro. Maybe fewer than prior years. Why trust what we say on this subject? We are just assuming. Get in contact with a recruiter and find out first hand. It seems that position availability won't be open until December so maybe that is why there is no positions open CURRENTLY. If you are transferring from EPIK, you should be able to get your docs from your POE. The Korean background check is easy to get as well.

We are in the same boat bro.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 07:59:30 am »
@corkireland
I don't mind the thread being hikacked as much as I don't like the info provided.

Can anyone else confirm that there are no positions available in GEPIK?

I assure you, there are plenty of positions within GEPIK for the next (March) semester.

Most schools haven't even gone through the renewal / non-renewal process yet.

Unless of course, GEPIK has decided to scrap the entire program, and only corkireland's recruiter is aware of this information.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:58:32 am »
I still have nightmares about my GEPIK job. I would never take a GEPIK job without visiting the school and meeting the co-t's. Worst job of my life. Good Luck
"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:45 am »
I still have nightmares about my GEPIK job. I would never take a GEPIK job without visiting the school and meeting the co-t's. Worst job of my life. Good Luck

How come?

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:49:37 pm »
I had 5 co-t's and two were CRAZY! One was angry at all times. One was nice and the last was her first job and didn't know what to do. I got yelled(a harsh talking) at for not waving with two hands at students. I was told I could not use the teachers lounge. It was a very little room, so ok . I was forced to use a students table for my desk and had to sit with 6th graders in class during my prep time if I wanted to use the computer so I had students 2 feet from me while I'm trying to prep. It is so horrible having to sit in classes all day that are not mine and have students yell in my face all day. Looking back I should of midnight ran that place. I got told how great the teacher before me was starting from day one:). My power point was always to fast or slow. I got stuff stolen from me a few times. The desk warming was the most ridiculous thing Korea public schools do? I worked at a hagwon teaching 8 hours a day and loved it because I had a purpose. Coming to an empty building in the middle of winter with no heat and no purpose for being at the school is CRAZY! I will forever hate you GEPIK
"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 02:21:46 pm »
That does sound horrible, but I think that was more a problem with the school and the ct's and not GEPIK in general. I have heard some horror stories within EPIK (although not as bad as your) - and again, it's the school, not EPIK.

BUT, your point is well made: visit the school and meet the ct's before taking the position. 

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 02:25:19 pm »
I'm in the process of transferring out of SMOE (due to potential budget cuts) to GEPIK and was told by my recruiter that the schools that I will visit would like a demo lesson. Seems like a good idea. Visit the school, location, and Co-Ts. Of course this doesn't guarantee my next school will be good but it should weed out the bad ones in  the process.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:45:28 pm »
I read the horror tales of people on here and understand. I saw some guy wrote that he would sit in on his bed depressed in the morning because he dreaded going to school so much. I really understood what he wrote. I would start dreading the next day around 10 o'clock and on Sunday too. Check out the co-t and past teachers before taking a job. I felt bad for the girl coming after me. I heard the crazy teachers talking about how ugly the new teacher is from the picture they saw of her. If she would of called me I would of told her don't take the job

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:41 pm »
Well, that's every school. The gossip is crazy. I'm sure at all of our co-teachers have talked sh^t about us at one point or another.

I will ask to speak to a former teacher. Thanks for the heads up.

• corkireland
  • Waygookin

• August 18, 2014, 03:53:50 am
    • Cork City, Ireland.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »
Hi again,

Another poster was right, try Korvia Consulting! They are accepting GEPIK applicants :)

corkireland

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:43:07 am »
dont believe what others are saying about no jobs being available. Ive seen tons of recruiters advertising for GEPIK jobs. The only downsides have already been said, smaller amount of jobs and elementary schools. However there are some middle school jobs still available. As far as teachings talking smack, it does happen. Some schools I have worked at have the teachers who believe that their KETs are at the genius level in speaking and teaching English. With the exception of one teacher who is quite good at English, I have yet to meet another who actually is just that.

I will also say that the coordinators in GEPIK are basically teachers who simply have the title of coordinator. Dont rely too much on them as they for the most part are useless. Ignoring calls and putting themselves first in anything they places them ahead.

Bottom line: there is good and bad in every job you can work. Just do your best, its only a year contract! Rely on friends and yourself if you get a GEPIK job!  ;D

• JDSR2012
  • Adventurer

• September 17, 2012, 08:13:10 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 10:58:15 am »
Also, remember that GEPIK and EPIK have different pay scales.  If you are a 2+ in EPIK doesn't mean that you will be a 2+ in GEPIK.  You may have to start over from the level that includes having the TEFL.  I would advise you to check that out as well.