Read 4944 times

Re: How are the quality of toilets/restrooms in your school?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 08:07:39 am »
Mine have urinals right beside glass windows for everyone to see.

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 08:29:59 am »
Compared to what's going on at other schools, my bathroom sounds top notch.

We don't have a teacher's bathroom so I usually just wait until I have a break during class time to avoid the 3rd grade girls who climb on the toilet and look over the stall at me - Very uncomfortable.

All of the other teachers seem to prefer the one squatter at the end of 3 toilets.

We don't have a problem with unflushed turds (often), but what troubles me are the constant pee drips on the seat...are they not wiping?? If not, why not?

Also, it's taken 3 years but I'm finally using the public soap. It's taken a long time for me to get used to that idea. I did some research and if you wash the soap off, which naturally happens if you do a rigorous job of lathering up your hands with the bar, there's not a lot of harmful bacteria left on it - supposedly.

• kjritchhart
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2013, 01:38:04 pm
    • Yeoju-eup
    more
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 08:30:43 am »
For me, the toilets are hit or miss.  It really depends on where I am on the campus and how old the building is.  The gym, machinery and greenhouse bathrooms are horrible.  But they are really old buildings that have not been fixed in years.  The college restrooms are nice, especially during the winter months because they have heated seats.  They aren't the newest but they are fine.  The best ones though are in the high school.  They were re-done a few years ago and are clean and nice.  Only wish they were like the college and had heated seats.  It would be great.

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 08:32:32 am »
My go-to throne has a heated toilet seat with a massaging bidet. It's right next to the squatter that gets very little action. Of course, either one you choose it is BYOTP.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:16 am »
Pro tip: Learn to use the squatter. There'll only be one or two total...
Really? ... My last public school didn't even have a single Western-style toilet in the entire building and only had squat toilets.

I've worked in a few public schools here and been to a whole heap more on 'business trips' or for inter-school English kaempeus and the one to two squatters thing has been the norm for me. Having said that, I've only worked in metropolitan cities (Seoul, and Daejeon, the latter of which in particular hurled tonnes of money at their schools). I most certainly could imagine it being different in a provincial city or rural hamlet.

One school I worked at had absolutely rank student bathrooms (but still the rule of the squatter stall), but if I had the time for the trek across the school and up a few flights of stairs, it had a high-class hotel-foyer-level staff setup of the quality KoreaBoo described above. It didn't just smell like nothing, it had flowers. I suspect my current school has a similar luxury bathroom tucked away somewhere, but this school is a nigh-endless labyrinth I've yet to fully explore.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• stotes
  • Adventurer

• August 19, 2012, 07:45:59 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:02 am »
The teacher's bathroom (men') at my high school (public) has a nice deluxe heated seat which is great in winter!  The downside is it also has the electric bidet feature that sprays water everywhere, which leads to a warm and wet toilet seat for the next person...  Sometimes I find pee dribbles and grossness in it though....come on, teachers, get it together!  :shocked:

The problem is this bathroom is way down at the other end of the school, so sometimes when I REALLY gotta go, I use the boy's room near my office. . .

This bathroom only has one sit down toilet, and the seat is horribly scarred by cigarette burns, but is usually fairly clean.  This bathroom is quite popular with smokers, despite the harsh penalties for being caught, so I try to use it as a last resort as the air gets quite toxic.  One time students thought it would be a good idea to throw their butts into the TP bin, which ended up catching on fire, spewing lovely poo-smoke into the hallway.  The other problem with smokers is they use one urinal as an ash-tray, and it ends up getting horribly clogged with cigarette butts. 

I feel really sorry for the ajjumma who has to clean this bathroom daily.  Sometimes I am tempted to make a coffee can filled with sand as a butt-receptacle, but I am afraid this would be seen as condoning their smoking, rather than as a courtesy to the cleaning lady; they're gonna smoke anyways, so might as well be a bit polite, eh?  :undecided:

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 09:27:14 am »
Mine is okay, there's two squatties and a normal western toilet.

Weird thing is that there is no toilet paper provided. You have to take your own. I've got used to it now, but... It's odd!

Toilets are all cleaned by the students here, and it's surprisingly well kept, if a little bad on the old nose (thought not as bad as some report here).

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 10:43:47 am »
My main school has western toilets that can squirt water onto your butt. But there are dead insects everywhere.

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 11:12:06 am »
I feel like this topic has been discussed in a thread before, but oh well.

Last school (public elementary) had no western toilets in the building, and no teacher's bathrooms anywhere. There were urinals and squatters in the boys bathrooms, and I eventually discovered one western toilet near the gym, but there was never any TP or soap there, so I never used it. I would just walk to the public library, that had clean, quiet bathrooms with heated seats/ bidets, etc.

First hagwon ever only had 1 shared bathroom for all students and staff. It had TP, but not always soap, was reasonably clean, but the floor was always wet and there was only 1 (adult sized) toilet.

Current hagwon has clean, fairly modern bathrooms, but they are still shared with students. 1 urinal & 1 toilet in the men's/boys. Always has TP, soap, and paper towels. Even has a fan.

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 12:33:20 pm »
They reek of piss. Sometimes I can taste the fug in the back of my throat. One of them on my floor occasionally has paper and always has soap, but the other- which is for the first graders- has no paper and no soap. Ever. In the bathroom that has paper and soap, there's a doody handprint on the wall of one and a huge blood smear on the wall of the other. Both at eye level. They predate me.

There's a single Western-style toilet per floor, which is strictly for "disabled persons." I can sneak in there before 8:30 or after 5:30, otherwise the bathroom cleaner lady yells at me and drags me physically into a squatty while pointing emphatically at it.

The thing that really kills me is when I'm in a stall and I know for a fact that the person in the other stall is not wiping (because I took the only stall with paper), not washing their hands, and that they work in the VP's office. Pleasant knowledge, that.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 12:48:15 pm »
Cleaning lady is sweet and amazing. I'm in Seoul but even though my school is older (20 years I think), there are modern toilets. I rarely see anything discussing only a few pieces of paper on the floor. I usually give the cleaning lady a coffee or juice once a week. She is actually one of the highlights of my day when at work.

• XiaoYan
  • Waygookin

• March 04, 2013, 10:44:06 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 12:59:03 pm »
what toilets? they're squatties.

i only use the one next to my one classroom because students don't use it often. so it's a little less smelly. but recently, the cleaning lady has been cleaning it once or every other week with bleach. this is fantastic. (before, i was always opening the window to prevent asphyxiation).

oh but our entire building has no hot water. (bldg 1 has)

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 01:16:09 pm »
My main school just got a bunch of money handed to it for some reason, so now we've got brand new bathrooms with hot water and toilet paper and everything. The cleaning lady comes in once a week and attacks everything with bleach.

My other schools' bathrooms are pretty sketch, though. At least the teachers have their own bathrooms.

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 06:23:07 pm »
My school's bathrooms are really nice and clean. Occasionally, someone forgets to flush, and I'm an idiot to lift the covered toilet seat.

But this month, the bathrooms no longer have soap. There's been rumors of a budget shortage at school, but surely bar soap can't be that expensive.