Read 12061 times

Re: Canadian Passport renewal
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:43 am »

I'm wondering if I need to give my new passport number to my bank, for sending money home tho. Anyone know if this is necessary? (when sending money home online with NH bank, you have to type in your passport #...)

Hope this info helps!

I've never had to type in my passport number to send money home using NH. So I think you will be fine.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 10:02:24 am »
I transfer money from my NH account to my KEB auto transfer account. When I got my new passport I had to go to the KEB branch and let them photocopy it.

Don't forget to tell immigration you have a new passport too. If they don't know it will cause issues when you leave/enter Korea because everything is tied to your passport number.
Hail Caesar

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 01:39:29 pm »
Does anyone know what type of currency we pay to get the passport renewed? I am assuming it would be in CAD, but since we are in Korea and it is being mailed to the Canadian embassy in Korea, I also feel it might possibly be in KRW.
Open your mind.

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 01:40:29 pm »
CAD. When I renewed I had to print out a credit card form. Sent that in and was charged in CAD to my Korean card.

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 02:40:16 pm »
Does anyone know what type of currency we pay to get the passport renewed? I am assuming it would be in CAD, but since we are in Korea and it is being mailed to the Canadian embassy in Korea, I also feel it might possibly be in KRW.

When we renewed a few months ago we paid in KRW and it had to be by money order from the post office. It will all depend on what method you decide to pay with.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »
They do not accept cash in any form at the embassy.

I know this because my wife needed her driver's license blessed; she had to run to the post office to get a money order.

• sechje
  • Adventurer

• December 07, 2010, 08:17:44 am
    • seoul, korea
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:48 am »
I just went to the embassy today to renew. Fairly easy process. Paid by credit card which cost a total of 269 C$ including processing fees.

Got the photos done from the studio nearby. Was very easy and fast. In and out within 10 mins. It is still 20k krw.

As confirmed before you do not need a guarantor anymore with a renewal but do need 2 references still. I recommend printing out the forms online and filling them in instead of trying to do it at the embassy. There was one guy that looked super stressed and just gave up and said he was going to do it at home because he didnt have all the info to fill out his form.

They told me that it will be ready december 5th which is like a month away but most likely done earlier.

• Dhazaras
  • Veteran

• November 05, 2015, 08:16:05 am
    • jinju
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 03:08:20 pm »
Just curious because this is an old post, but I'm looking to renew my passport. I'm confused as to whether I can do this service in Busan...because according to the Canadian Embassy website, the Seoul branch has been closed and moved to Manila.

Hopefully Busan as that's closer, but it's quite a small office if I remember correctly.

Any info would be great  ;D

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »
Just curious because this is an old post, but I'm looking to renew my passport. I'm confused as to whether I can do this service in Busan...because according to the Canadian Embassy website, the Seoul branch has been closed and moved to Manila.

Hopefully Busan as that's closer, but it's quite a small office if I remember correctly.

Only closed for visas. Passport is still on.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Dhazaras
  • Veteran

• November 05, 2015, 08:16:05 am
    • jinju
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 06:49:00 pm »

Only closed for visas. Passport is still on.

Thank you :)!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 06:58:18 pm »
Thank you :)!

That said, I can't speak of the Busan consulate, only the embassy in Seoul.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• December 01, 2015, 08:59:17 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 09:06:02 am »

Passport applications can be submitted IN PERSON or BY MAIL to the Canadian Embassy in Seoul, or to the Canadian Consulate in Busan.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/consular_services_consulaires/passport-passeport.aspx?lang=eng
ESL in the ROK - 19 games for any lesson - simply enter your data/choose a lesson and play

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 10:41:07 pm »
I have recently renewed my Canadian passport for the THIRD (or was it fourth?) time...

I arrived here in '02 and have gone through the process a few times and have been stressed each time but IMPRESSED each time by how easy it was. The first two times I went to the embassy in Seoul and got it done in person. Once (or twice, I think, but my memory's fuzzy on that) I've mailed it in while living on Jeju for the better part of the last decade.

I got my newsest passport this April and now it's for TEN (10) years - instead of the 5-year-only option before.  ;D  I'm set until 2027 and it's prompted me to assemble a 5-country must-go-to list over that span (whether it be for vacation, ESLing or volunteer projects).

As a Canadian I have many, many BAD experiences back home with government red tape (up to age 32). But as a Canadian expat living in South Korea (from age 32 to 48), I have nothing but GOOD experiences with the passport renewal process and the embassy in Seoul. Matybe my paranoia and expectations of trouble prepared me well, but I have "whew!~" wiped my brow of sweat in relief every time....  :azn:

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2020, 10:55:37 am »
Anyone know if the following is still required. Says so on the gov't website, but I feel that it not the case. Guarantor and two references who have known you for at least two years and are not family members.

I'm applying for a new passport (live in Seoul) and the government email I received upon making my reservation says that a guarantor is required.

This is for simplified renewal, 10 year.

Also, is there a mail-in option? I'd rather do that than rush to the embassy before work on morning.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:21:04 am by obwannabe »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2020, 12:42:54 pm »
I dunno about your feeling but

I just got my employer and co-workers to help me out.

Buy them a beer. Or a cup of coffee. They'll do it.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2020, 09:45:36 pm »
Call the embassy...

They will tell you exactly what you need and I did it easily through the mail  (I also got the 10 year one, around 6 years ago)... I didn't have to have any guarantors or anything at that time (from my recollection).   Just call the embassy. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:52:17 pm by dippedinblush »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2020, 08:01:52 am »
You have to have two guarantors but they've made it much easier.  It can be any non-family member Canadians.  It used to be when I first got them that a guarantor had to be of a certain profession or public standing, i.e. a doctor or lawyer.  Now you could pick a friend from back home and just put their info down, just make sure you tell them and the information is accurate on the off chance they are contacted.