• March 31, 2013, 07:46:49 pm
    • Geoje, South Korea
Canadian Passport renewal
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:41:58 am »
I just want to clarify a few things. In order to renew my passport I must:

1) Fill in the application form
2) Have 2 passport photos with date and location stamp
3) Include the old passport
4) Have a money order for 254,000 won (ten year passport)
5) Put this all into one envelop with address of the embassy

I just talked to a Korea lady from the embassy but she did not seem to be very informative on the matter and did not know certain things. I just want to make sure this is all I need to include and if anything is missing.

Thanks!

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• Geoje, South Korea
Re: Canadian Passport renewal
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:53:33 am »
I just realized that I nedd a garantor. How do I get that if I don't know anybody in Korea for over two years?

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:58:49 am »
I just realized that I nedd a garantor. How do I get that if I don't know anybody in Korea for over two years?

I don't think you need a guarantor anymore.  I believe they've changed the process to simple renewal like the American system, instead of having to go through the whole process again.  I'd just check online.  The documents will be the same in Canada as here, it's just the fee that might be different. 

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:07:09 am »
Thanks orangeman! You are right that I no longer need a guarantor with the simplified passport renewal. Phew! That makes things a whole lot easier.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:49 am »
Yeah, amazingly the government has made it a whole lot easier.  You used to have to provide a birth certificate and pay extra in lieu of a guarantor.  I did it two weeks ago, and it was a breeze.  They have done away with the option of getting a 48 page passport though.  The ten year one is 36 pages.

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:38 pm »
Yeah, amazingly the government has made it a whole lot easier.  You used to have to provide a birth certificate and pay extra in lieu of a guarantor.  I did it two weeks ago, and it was a breeze.  They have done away with the option of getting a 48 page passport though.  The ten year one is 36 pages.

Did you do all of it by mail? Also, is there a particular type of passport photo? I remember in Canada they ask me what type of passport it was for. Apparently, diffirent countries have different requirements.

• ka-eel
  • Adventurer

• January 05, 2011, 03:08:22 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:30:04 pm »

Did you do all of it by mail? Also, is there a particular type of passport photo? I remember in Canada they ask me what type of passport it was for. Apparently, diffirent countries have different requirements.

I renewed mine at the embassy in Seoul. Make sure you get canadian passport pictures. Korean passport photos are significantly smaller and more photoshopped.

This page explains what you need well:

http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/photos.aspx?lang=eng

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:47:43 pm »
I dropped it off in person.  I wanted to be sure everything was correct.  I didn't want to mail it, then have it returned because I missed something. The lady goes over everything with you.  The consular hours for drop-off are 9-11:30am.  I had it mailed back to me.

As mentioned above, be sure you have the right photos.  Not any passport photo will do.  They have to be stamped with the studio name and date as well.  The studio up the street from the embassy specifically does the Canadian size.  Four for 20 000 won. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:55:38 pm by OnNut81 »

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 02:47:19 pm »
Also, is there a particular type of passport photo? I remember in Canada they ask me what type of passport it was for. Apparently, diffirent countries have different requirements.

Yeah, the passport photo size depends on the country; I know the size of an American passport photo is bigger than the Korean one (learned that the hard way when I was applying to renew my passport a few years ago and inadvertently got the Korean size when I got my passport photos taken at a photo studio here; only realized it after I got home, and so I had to go back to the photo studio the next day to get the correct size that I needed). In any case, I'm sure the Canadian embassy web site says which size you need for a Canadian passport photo, so I would recommend checking there before getting your passport photos taken.

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 03:16:13 pm »
Thanks everyone. I think I have all that I need.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:21:20 am »
Yes, I'd also recommend going in person. The Canadian Embassy in Seoul website has the location of a photo studio right near the Embassy where they know the requirements for Canadian passport photos.

A couple other heads up, as I've just been through the process. Don't try to go there after 11:30 AM - they will turn you away and won't accept your application. I even tried to arrange an afternoon appointment but they wouldn't give me one.

The great news is that my new passport was mailed to me SUPER fast. I got it only 9 days after dropping off my application.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:48:36 pm »
Just did it recently.  It is easier this time.  Last time it was all references who have known me for a while and a guarantor.    This time it was a bit easier.  Still some troubles.   Of course some of it was partially my fault for over preparing on addresses and that.

As to the passport photo there is a document on the Canadian passport website.   Give it a read.  Alas no Korean version to give a photostudio.   One important thing is ....

DO NOT LET THE PHOTO STUDIO PHOTOSHOP IT!

I told mine and they still decided to do a little.   I looked at the photos but not the carefully.   Did not notice the changes.  Likely some denial about my looks and age.   
So on my trip to the embassy I was told I need to get the photo's again from the studio I used in Daejeon.   Little lucky the lady at the embassy counter called the studio and explained.   Still, I had to go back to Daejeon and pick up the unaltered photos and mail registered back the embassy.   So that delayed and messed things up a touch. 

Also irked me at all the work I did getting proper information and adding to an attached sheet was duly ignored.

Second point is fill the form in pen.   I used the edit function on the PDF and often there was not enough room for addresses and information.  Remember to use CAPITAL letters.

In the end, I did get the passport about two weeks from visit.

Good Luck.

Whoops - One more piece of advice.

Do not forget to register with immigration the change of your passport number.   You are required by law to inform immigration of the change within 14 days.   True sometimes immi has given breaks to those who did register past 14  and even much later. Through some have known to been fined and give themselves future troubles with a blackmark on record for not do it.  Save yourself the trouble.

The change of information is easy.   Print out the basic form number 34 from immigration.  Fill in.  Best to prefill in before visit to immigration.   If possible use the website and setup an appointment.   When you get to the counter.

Give
1) ARC
2) Form
3) New Passport

Done! 

No service fee or charge.  It is free.

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/CvlapplInfoDetailR_en.pt?cvlapplCd=127000000RC&locale=en&cvlapplGbSeq=
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 01:10:33 pm »
I just want to clarify a few things. In order to renew my passport I must:

1) Fill in the application form
2) Have 2 passport photos with date and location stamp
3) Include the old passport
4) Have a money order for 254,000 won (ten year passport)
5) Put this all into one envelop with address of the embassy

I just talked to a Korea lady from the embassy but she did not seem to be very informative on the matter and did not know certain things. I just want to make sure this is all I need to include and if anything is missing.

I just got my Canadian passport renewed with that simplified system.
You got everything exactly right! However make sure that your passport photos are 50x70 mm. The money order should be a postal money order of that same amount payable to the Embassy of Canada in Seoul. Put all these things you have in one envelope and everything will be perfectly fine.

You will have to wait 15 business days to get yout new passport, and i you want back your old passport, make sure you have that indicated on your application form too. Good luck eh!

Thanks!

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:13 am »
Don't forget to include a self-addressed prepaid return envelope.

I missed out on the 10 year Visa when I had mine renewed in Seoul a while back, but my 5 year passport has 48 pages and cost about 70,000 Won.

Also, strangely, my pictures were photo-shopped, barely but a little, and they were accepted.

As well, the exchange rate had changed a bit and the Canadian Embassy returned my passport (within 4 business days) with some change. 
Hail Caesar

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 03:40:40 pm »
I just wanted to refresh this topic with my recent and very easy passport renewal experience.

Everything Skippy said above is bang on AND I'd just like to reassure those of you about to renew that the process is incredibly simple and FAST. We sent our stuff out by registered mail on April 2nd, it was received on the 3rd and we have our passports back in hand today, the 15th.

We took explicit instructions with us to give the photographer about NOT photoshopping our passport photos, written in Korean and everything. They still went ahead and photoshopped the backdrop to make it appear more white, because our instructions also said the backdrop must be white - maybe just don't mention this, as the backdrops are usually always white anyways. You could see something was going on if you looked really closely, but luckily they were accepted.

Also, at the post office getting the money orders was a bit of a headache because the name "The Canadian Embassy in Seoul Korea" didn't fit, and neither did our full names. Neither of these things were issues as they were accepted without any problem.

If you're in Busan you could do as we did and skip dealing with the CND Consulate here and mail them directly to Seoul by registered mail, since that's where they need to go anyways. We thought it'd be easier to cut out the middle man, and looking at how smoothly everything went, I'd 100% recommend doing it that way.

We'll be changing our info at immigration this week, and as Skippy said, it should be a simple process free of fines.

Happy passport renewing!

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »
You can fax that info into immi if you want to save yourself a trip. Just fill out the form, and photocopy your ARC and New passport on the same page. Send to immi. Call immi or check their website for the phone number.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 05:34:08 pm »
Just did it recently.  It is easier this time.  Last time it was all references who have known me for a while and a guarantor.    This time it was a bit easier.  Still some troubles.   Of course some of it was partially my fault for over preparing on addresses and that.

As to the passport photo there is a document on the Canadian passport website.   Give it a read.  Alas no Korean version to give a photostudio.   One important thing is ....

I told mine and they still decided to do a little.   I looked at the photos but not the carefully.   Did not notice the changes.  Likely some denial about my looks and age.   
So on my trip to the embassy I was told I need to get the photo's again from the studio I used in Daejeon.   Little lucky the lady at the embassy counter called the studio and explained.   Still, I had to go back to Daejeon and pick up the unaltered photos and mail registered back the embassy.   So that delayed and messed things up a touch. 

Also irked me at all the work I did getting proper information and adding to an attached sheet was duly ignored.

Second point is fill the form in pen.   I used the edit function on the PDF and often there was not enough room for addresses and information.  Remember to use CAPITAL letters.

In the end, I did get the passport about two weeks from visit.

Good Luck.

Whoops - One more piece of advice.

Do not forget to register with immigration the change of your passport number.   You are required by law to inform immigration of the change within 14 days.   True sometimes immi has given breaks to those who did register past 14  and even much later. Through some have known to been fined and give themselves future troubles with a blackmark on record for not do it.  Save yourself the trouble.

The change of information is easy.   Print out the basic form number 34 from immigration.  Fill in.  Best to prefill in before visit to immigration.   If possible use the website and setup an appointment.   When you get to the counter.

Give
1) ARC
2) Form
3) New Passport

Done! 

No service fee or charge.  It is free.

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/CvlapplInfoDetailR_en.pt?cvlapplCd=127000000RC&locale=en&cvlapplGbSeq=

There's a guy up the street from the embassy who does embassy photos and he knows what the embassy wants to he does it to their standards.  I'm surprised they didn't have the courtesy to tell you.  Some folks there told me about it back in 2009 and I used it again when I renewed in 2014. 

I'm not sure the exact location.  But, it's somewhere around here.  http://map.daum.net/?urlX=493276&urlY=1130009&urlLevel=3&itemId=13128078&q=%EA%B3%A0%EB%9E%98%EB%A9%B4%EC%98%A5&srcid=13128078&map_type=TYPE_MAP

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 07:58:03 am »
You can fax that info into immi if you want to save yourself a trip. Just fill out the form, and photocopy your ARC and New passport on the same page. Send to immi. Call immi or check their website for the phone number.

Thanks for this info, I didn't know you could do that! One visit to immigration is more than enough for the year so we'll try this out.  :azn:

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »

There's a guy up the street from the embassy who does embassy photos and he knows what the embassy wants to he does it to their standards.  I'm surprised they didn't have the courtesy to tell you.  Some folks there told me about it back in 2009 and I used it again when I renewed in 2014. 

I'm not sure the exact location.  But, it's somewhere around here.  http://map.daum.net/?urlX=493276&urlY=1130009&urlLevel=3&itemId=13128078&q=%EA%B3%A0%EB%9E%98%EB%A9%B4%EC%98%A5&srcid=13128078&map_type=TYPE_MAP

Yep, I knew that.  I had used him before the passport previous.  Good Job.   Problem was I did not live in Seoul. I wanted to get everything ready before heading up.  Add in me not checking the photos.

Yea people who live in Seoul or have the time should consider getting the photos done at that studio.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• kamikazely
  • Waygookin

• November 01, 2011, 07:48:09 pm
    • Hampyeong, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 10:02:29 am »
I found this information very helpful, so I just wanted to pass on my recent experience.

Photos: I went to Home Plus photo studio, and had a Korean explain several times NOT to photoshop it at all. Took a bit of explaining why, but it worked. And, I made sure he knew the right size/dimension the photos should be (it seems pretty big). Also, I had the photographer write the name of the studio on the back of two photos. At home, I wrote down the full name and address in English of the studio (I had emailed the Embassy, and they said this was ok).

Forms: I agree with the other person who posted about writing, not using the fill-in (computer) style on the pdf. Korean addresses take a lot of space to write in English.

Mail: Living 4 hours away from Seoul, I mailed all forms, my old passport, and a typed letter asking them to send my new passport to my Korean address, not Canadian one (just to be safe). I mailed it on April 30th, and received it on May 19th. So, about 10-12 business days. You'll likely need to sign to receive the new passport, so if you're away from home during the day you could get them to mail it to your school (I had the guard at my apartment sign for it).

Payment: I used the credit card form to pay, and was charged a few days after mailing the application. They add a few bucks to the total price, so not too bad.

Immigration: Finally, I went into my local immigration office to register my new passport number. Didn't even have to fill in a form, the lady just took my new passport and ARC, and a minute later it's done.

I'm wondering if I need to give my new passport number to my bank, for sending money home tho. Anyone know if this is necessary? (when sending money home online with NH bank, you have to type in your passport #...)

Hope this info helps!