Read 3136 times

Binding Status of "Intent to Renew" From
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:48:32 pm »
Edit: Just checked my form and it's titled "Contract Renewal Application". It's literally just contact info and a section saying I realize BMOE can move me or add more schools when I re-sign.

The other day I was handed an Intent to Renew form (or something to that effect) and I'm curious as to what exactly happens when I sign it. Or moreover, what would happen if I signed it and changed my mind. I'm having a very difficult time deciding if I want to renew or not and suddenly I have a relatively real deadline. My co-t said that it's not actually due until the end of November but that because she has to prepare papers if I do sign it she would prefer it if I made my mind up sooner rather than later.

So obviously if I sign it it makes some short-term work for my co-t (that I like and would prefer not to screw either directly or indirectly if at all possible) and would obviously forestall any efforts of the school to look at new recruits next semester. But it's not a contract so it doesn't seem like there would be any legitimate grounds to try and force me to sign a contract later in the year/2015. Am I mistaken in that? I want the various payments I'm entitled to for finishing my contract when I do decide I'm done.

So basically:

1) Aside from guilt tripping and/or bluffing can the school do anything if I sign anything saying I plan to work for another year other than an actual work contract?

2) If I signed this form (not a contract) and backed out I would still be entitled to collect a completion bonus and exit allowance and whatnot, correct?

3) Would the school be in a particularly terrible situation if they didn't find out I was leaving until it came time to actually sign contract papers?

4) If I signed this but said "I'm still not 100% sure I'll sign the contract. Maybe keep your options open?" would that be a legitimate compromise or would it just cause a pointless headache?

Like I said, I want to avoid screwing my co-teacher and my school since they've been excellent to work with/for.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:13:51 pm by Gaikoku.org »

• ShanaC
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2013, 03:10:13 pm
Re: Binding Status of "Intent to Renew" From
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:54:20 pm »
"Intent" implies that you could change your mind, but it really depends on the wording of the document itself, I suppose.

• nimrand
  • Super Waygook

• April 07, 2013, 07:40:28 am
    • Lawrence, KS
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:13:14 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it.  If you sign that you "intend" to renew, you can still change your mind.  It's only binding once you sign the renewal contract.

That said, I signed an intent to renew on at my school when I was undecided.  A few weeks later they gave me the renewal contract and said that they had to return it, signed, within an hour.  So, I had to make a final decision fast.  So, be prepared for that possibility.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:49:50 pm »
Pulling out of the intent to renew isn't an official breach of contract or anything, but it definitely would impact seriously on any future employment chances with that particular company or MOE.

That's the deal for Seoul public system anyway. But frankly, once you've stopped working for SMOE, it's pretty hard to get back into the system (even aside from the job reductions that happen all the time), because EPIK hires (via recruiters usually) and SMOE doesn't pay two time for your recruiters. If you've been hired by SMOE before, you have to be a direct hire, and those people only get jobs AFTER EPIK has filled the positions (i.e. you gotta wait for people to drop out or some extra-ordinary situation to happen).

tldr; no big impact, because if you are pulling out you are not wanting to work for that institution, which is the only real negative impact of pulling out of the intent to renew form.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:45:08 am »
Edit: Just checked my form and it's titled "Contract Renewal Application". It's literally just contact info and a section saying I realize BMOE can move me or add more schools when I re-sign.

The other day I was handed an Intent to Renew form (or something to that effect) and I'm curious as to what exactly happens when I sign it. Or moreover, what would happen if I signed it and changed my mind. I'm having a very difficult time deciding if I want to renew or not and suddenly I have a relatively real deadline. My co-t said that it's not actually due until the end of November but that because she has to prepare papers if I do sign it she would prefer it if I made my mind up sooner rather than later.

So obviously if I sign it it makes some short-term work for my co-t (that I like and would prefer not to screw either directly or indirectly if at all possible) and would obviously forestall any efforts of the school to look at new recruits next semester. But it's not a contract so it doesn't seem like there would be any legitimate grounds to try and force me to sign a contract later in the year/2015. Am I mistaken in that? I want the various payments I'm entitled to for finishing my contract when I do decide I'm done.

So basically:

1) Aside from guilt tripping and/or bluffing can the school do anything if I sign anything saying I plan to work for another year other than an actual work contract?

2) If I signed this form (not a contract) and backed out I would still be entitled to collect a completion bonus and exit allowance and whatnot, correct?

3) Would the school be in a particularly terrible situation if they didn't find out I was leaving until it came time to actually sign contract papers?

4) If I signed this but said "I'm still not 100% sure I'll sign the contract. Maybe keep your options open?" would that be a legitimate compromise or would it just cause a pointless headache?

Like I said, I want to avoid screwing my co-teacher and my school since they've been excellent to work with/for.

1. No. Obviously it could impact your chances working that MoE again, and possibly even other PS's. You may not get a great reference either.

2. Yes.

3. No. Provided they don't leave the actual contract signing to the last minute, they should be fine. You could also update them of your intentions once you know, if the contract hasn't yet been signed.

4. Not really worth it. You're signing one thing, but saying another.

Your co-teacher said it's due by the end of the November. Take the 6 weeks and make up your mind. Usually, these things are done and dusted by the end of the December. Do you really need another month to decide?

As an aside. I signed one of these things a few years back. Everything was peachy, and then around Xmas, GEPIK announced that my school was on the list of schools whose funding was cut. It sucked, and having signed the paper didn't help.

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:55:02 am »
I wouldn't worry about it. It's like promising to marry someone. You can always change your mind. Any drama that occurs would be short lived and entertaining. Unless you're the emotional type. Then that might involve a lot of crying and begging to be taken back. Don't be that person.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:33:12 am »
Well my co-teacher just came in this morning and said she needs a reply by tomorrow which is pretty annoying. The reason I want more time is because my girlfriend is really stressed with making a bunch of stuff for an art showcase she has to do as a final project in uni alongside studying for TOEIC. It would just be preferable to actually have had the time I was told to make the decision.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »
For SMOE if you sign that sheet and change your mind they won't transfer your visa to a new job.  That's pretty much all they can do.  It has no impact on your completion bonus as that's a separate issue, and if your school wants to give you a letter of recommendation they will no matter what (you don't get one from the head office, just a record of employment which they can't withhold because you did actually work for them).  I would suspect that they probably wouldn't allow you back into that specific program again, but I doubt it would have much impact on your chances elsewhere.  I mean, how would they even know?  You get your record of employment and reference letter from a CT.

The whole intent to renew is BS in my mind.  They're holding you to that agreement, but what if they decide not to renew you at the last minute?  What if funding gets cut or your school doesn't need an NSET anymore?  There is absolutely no punishment for that.  It's completely one sided.  Especially considering that taking away our job at the last minute has much more of an impact on us than us leaving a program that likely has excessive applicants.  I mean, so what if we don't sign in November?  They still have months to find someone to replace us.