Read 1943 times

Drinking ticket on FBI check
« on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:39 am »
So my freshmen year of college, I got a minor in possession ticket for alcohol. From what I can remember the judge said if I take classes and do community service, it would be wiped from my record. Completed everything that was asked of me. Last week, I did a criminal background check for the state I live in and nothing came up. I'm a little nervous something might show up in the FBI background check since its probably a broader check.

Anyone know if my ticket will come up during the FBI background check? Or has anyone been in the same situation as me? Will this disqualify me for Korea?

Re: Drinking ticket on FBI check
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:32 am »
If it didn't show up on your state record check, you're probably OK. I think MIP's are gross misdemeanors, I've heard that non-felony offenses won't show up on federal background checks, though I'm not totally sure. Order a Federal CRC up, if it didn't show up on the state check and you did your community service etc. and they said it was dropped, it probably was. Some buddies of mine had the same thing happen, it's usually not a big deal unless you get a second one. You're probably fine!

• RDW27
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2014, 10:56:05 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:42:00 am »
Imagine going before a judge for possession of alcohol when you're at college/university! The state of your country  ;D

• nermal
  • Veteran

• September 26, 2012, 08:07:32 am
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40:55 am »
I got one when I was 19, and it either didn't show up on the background check, or it did and they didn't care about it. I think they just want to make sure you don't have a history of murder or diddling kids.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:55:18 am »
It won't show up if it didn't on your state check. Don't worry about it anymore. Cheers
"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

• nimrand
  • Super Waygook

• April 07, 2013, 07:40:28 am
    • Lawrence, KS
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »
It won't show up if it didn't on your state check. Don't worry about it anymore. Cheers

Hmmm...probably, but not quite.

If it was a misdemeanor, then it definitely wont show up on the check.  In that case, you case disregard the rest of this post.

If it's not a misdemeanor, but it didn't show up on your state check, you probably are okay.  But, there are reasons it might not show up on your state check but will show up on your FBI check.

One of the key factors that determines what shows up on your background check is the reason for the background check.  Homeland security, for example, may see things like deferrals (i.e., when you go through an education program or something to avoid conviction) and non-convictions (i.e., acquittals), whereas someone performing a background check for employment will not see these things.

When you did the state check, how did you do it?  If you did as someone checking their own record and it didn't show up, then you are almost certainly fine.  If you did as John Q. Public looking up someone's criminal record online, then its possible there stuff in the record that they didn't reveal to you.

When they said "wiped from your record," did they say expunged or sealed?  1) If they said "expunged," then that means the data is completed deleted from your record.  You are safe.  2) If they said "sealed," then that means most people can't see it, but special privileged people can.  There is at least one state where (1) is not true (i.e., they say "expunged" but, in fact, the record is retained for some to see), but I believe there is only one state that does that.

When you do a background check on yourself through the FBI, I believe you get everything on the record, including sealed stuff.  The purpose of that kind of check is for someone to verify what's in their record, so you get all of it.  So, whether it will show up depends on if it it is more serious than a misdemeanor or not, whether it was sealed instead of expunged, and whether the local agency chose to report it to the state system or not.  If the answer to any of these it "no," then it wont show up.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 02:52:17 pm »
I think you'll be fine. I had an MIP, a public intoxication, and a couple of other small misdemeanors.  None of them are on my FBI check.

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2013, 07:46:49 pm
    • Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
This is Korea you are trying to come to. They will probably accept you more if it does show up. Think will think you will fit it with the drinking culture.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 08:05:19 am »
You'll be fine.
“Mediocrity's like a spot on a shirt—it never comes off.”