Read 712 times

• Atomaru
  • Veteran

• August 25, 2013, 05:29:36 am
    • Daegu
Present for expecting co-worker
« on: October 17, 2014, 02:41:33 pm »
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Pretty soon, one of my co-teachers will be taking leave to have a child, and will be gone for a number of months.  In theory she will return in February, but the last co-teacher who left on maternity leave has been gone for a year and a half.   I am afraid I might not see her again, and I want to giver her something to celebrate her child and thank her for all of her help, but I am typically quite bad at picking gifts, and I have no idea what is appropriate to give for someone expecting in Korean culture. 

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to get her something so traditional that she will have like 2 of them from all her co-workers and relatives, but I would prefer it to by something more than just like a case of spam you know?  Anyway, thank you for any help or suggestions in advance!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:46:06 pm by Atomaru »

Re: Present for expecting co-worker
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:50:04 pm »
New parents always need new born diapers, baby powder, or johnson and johnson baby head to toe wash. They will use these gifts and not just throw them in a box.
"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »
Koreans traditionally don't give anything until 1 year bday party, then they give 1 'don' of gold (sometimes a ring). or money.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 04:40:12 pm »
I had a baby here and most often, Korean friends gave me clothes sets for the baby, which I always appreciated. I agree with the above - giving things that the mother will use for the baby is a safe bet. If you want something a little different, I would suggest a gift certificate to a restaurant or store that they might find useful - something like BonJuk or Emart. That gesture would show some special thought and care.