Read 19008 times

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
Re: Homeplus to leave?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:32 am »
Ugh, the loud microphone stuff is definitely one of THE worst things about living in South Korea. It's bad enough they have to use it, but then they YELL into it at top volume. YEAH OK YOUR FISH IS ON SALE, MAKE A DAMN SIGN. Worst is when you're at a big store like Home Plus and on every aisle there's someone yelling at their mic, so there's like a big competing swarm of yelling Koreans. At least at HP/Emart the mic yellers are rare, but the small grocery store near my apartment where I have to do daily shopping ALWAYS has someone yelling into a mic hooked up to all the speakers in the store. You can hear it from like 2 blocks away.

I don't get what it is with Koreans and loudspeakers, it's kind of like how in North Korea or Maoist China there are loudspeakers everywhere blaring propaganda.

Those Bongo trucks selling fruit are the worst. They way they talk is like some soviet/N Korean propaganda. Why use such a severe hectoring voice when you are trying to entice people to buy some oranges?

• raider576
  • Adventurer

• December 12, 2010, 05:35:51 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:11 am »
the white socks...

I once asked a Korean coworker about this and was told that it's trying to mimic one style of Korean cheerleader.  As in for sports.

If you search for "korean cheerleader white socks" you'll get work safe results (maybe not all)  and then there's SNSD doing some version of the look with boots. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk-bwlLbCUU

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09:24 am »
Ugh, the loud microphone stuff is definitely one of THE worst things about living in South Korea. It's bad enough they have to use it, but then they YELL into it at top volume. YEAH OK YOUR FISH IS ON SALE, MAKE A DAMN SIGN. Worst is when you're at a big store like Home Plus and on every aisle there's someone yelling at their mic, so there's like a big competing swarm of yelling Koreans. At least at HP/Emart the mic yellers are rare, but the small grocery store near my apartment where I have to do daily shopping ALWAYS has someone yelling into a mic hooked up to all the speakers in the store. You can hear it from like 2 blocks away.

I don't get what it is with Koreans and loudspeakers, it's kind of like how in North Korea or Maoist China there are loudspeakers everywhere blaring propaganda.

Those Bongo trucks selling fruit are the worst. They way they talk is like some soviet/N Korean propaganda. Why use such a severe hectoring voice when you are trying to entice people to buy some oranges?

Because that fruit is literally 3 times cheaper than what you buy at Homeplus. That's an great buy no matter what - pay 5,000 for a watermelon vs 20,000 at the Homeplus across the street (and yes, this has happened in my neighborhood). Think about it: These farmers are willing to go out and spend time selling their produce and get MORE profit because they get screwed by the middlemen that jack up the price of watermelon.

God bless those Bongo trucks.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 11:16:20 am »

Because that fruit is literally 3 times cheaper than what you buy at Homeplus. That's an great buy no matter what - pay 5,000 for a watermelon vs 20,000 at the Homeplus across the street (and yes, this has happened in my neighborhood). Think about it: These farmers are willing to go out and spend time selling their produce and get MORE profit because they get screwed by the middlemen that jack up the price of watermelon.

They are cheap, I wish they were around more. I seem to miss those Bongos most of the time. I guess they are around when all the housewives are still at home.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:46 am »
Fruit at homeplus is not expensive though. For things you can buy in bulk and in season, sometimes getting it from a fruit vendor is cheaper, but that applies to any product. there isn't going to be a place that sells everything for cheap, otherwise people would just go there and nowhere else. Maybe you have a point that about the watermelons if you were comparing a 1 pound watermelon to a 5 pound watermelon at homeplus. Yeah, in that case I can see the price difference.

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:04 am »
Haha...yeah, I remember being weirded out when I first saw the young female salespeople at supermarkets here wearing those things.

Why do they wear them? Always puzzled me.

I think those weird leg coverings originated in Japan. In which case asking why is probably a waste of time.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 11:58:59 am »

Yes but that doesn't explain why they blast out announcements the way they do. Their fruit may be cheap but the noise they make is a pain in the backside.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• Asia
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 12:07:16 pm »

Yes but that doesn't explain why they blast out announcements the way they do. Their fruit may be cheap but the noise they make is a pain in the backside.
It's so the adjumas on the 34th floor can hear it... ;D

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2011, 11:47:35 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2014, 12:15:28 pm »

I can deal with the noise, it's the foot traffic these sample people create in a limited spaced area. Yes, sir with the shopping cart, i'm trying to get some tea and you're blocking the entrance please don't give me the stink eye because i'm not waiting for you to finish your cup of instant coffee.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:01 pm »

It's so the adjumas on the 34th floor can hear it... ;D

Of course, it sounds like they are ordering them down to the truck on threat of being sent to gulag.

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »
Why are Korean companies that do bad things not being investigated right now?  We know they do?  Don't get me wrong, Tesco should fire these guys and keep their compansation and go after them legally to  try and get some money back.  That said, why is it always a foreign company that gets $h!t smacked out of them? 

Anyways, it seems like Homeplus's profits and everything else declined after they left their partnership with Samsung in March of 2011.  Strange, co-incidence, or intended?  It seems whenever a foriegn company or product not teamed up with a local Korean company, except COSTCO, has come here, they chase them out one way or another.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »
Is this just still speculation at the moment?

Would they actually leave?

It kind of reminds me when Heinz said they were scrapping Salad Cream back in 1999. There was an uproar. I think even a committee from the Houses of Parliament wrote letters to Heinz demanding that Salad Cream remained.  It rekindled the love affair the public had for Salad Cream. Jeeze, I'm still in love with it. I just have to think of it and my mouth waters and puckers.

Surely Koreans love Homeplus?  Isn't this just cage rattling? indicating what could be, not what will be?

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2014, 01:18:52 pm »

It kind of reminds me when Heinz said they were scrapping Salad Cream back in 1999. There was an uproar. I think even a committee from the Houses of Parliament wrote letters to Heinz demanding that Salad Cream remained.  It rekindled the love affair the public had for Salad Cream. Jeeze, I'm still in love with it. I just have to think of it and my mouth waters and puckers.

Surely Koreans love Homeplus?  Isn't this just cage rattling? indicating what could be, not what will be?

Heinz said they'd leave Ontario and they did.   Speculation came true.  :huh:

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »

Heinz said they'd leave Ontario and they did.   Speculation came true.  :huh:

What was the reason they gave?

Did they have the same level of investment?

I really hope they stay. I love their wine... and cheese... and they even sold real f***ing lamb a few months back!!! A part of me feels, however, they really won't go. Why would they invest in sprucing up so many local stores if they are going to leave?

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• Asia
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »
It seems whenever a foriegn company or product not teamed up with a local Korean company, except COSTCO, has come here, they chase them out one way or another.
I was under the impression that Shinsegae was in bed with Costco.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2014, 02:42:34 pm »
Why are Korean companies that do bad things not being investigated right now?  We know they do?  Don't get me wrong, Tesco should fire these guys and keep their compansation and go after them legally to  try and get some money back.  That said, why is it always a foreign company that gets $h!t smacked out of them? 

Anyways, it seems like Homeplus's profits and everything else declined after they left their partnership with Samsung in March of 2011.  Strange, co-incidence, or intended?  It seems whenever a foriegn company or product not teamed up with a local Korean company, except COSTCO, has come here, they chase them out one way or another.

Lottemart actually did the very same thing Homeplus did. Sold customer data. Nothing is expected to happen to them though because they are owned by Lotte.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/10/116_166498.html

Apparently even E-mart did it in 2008. Of course they are owned by Shinsegae.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:48:51 pm by Epistemology »
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 03:24:49 pm »
Don't be a naughty foreigner in Korea unless you have a big Chaebol sugar daddy. Advice for life in Korea.

I wonder if they leave will I still be able to get tinned prunes. I find them more effective than the constipation medicine I can buy in Korea.

Are Shinsegae teaming up with Waitrose, I saw some of their products in the mart in the basement of their department store? I love Waitrose, they are great quality. Korea could do with a larger high-end chain of stores that allow you to shop in peace without screaming miked up ajummas disturbing my peace. I'm also like one of those curry counters like they have in Asda and a chilled meats counter.  I know I am dreaming now.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »
Aren't they only worn by women in the cosmetics aisles? I tried googling an answer and got waaaay NSFW results. Who would've imagined the possibilities of "asian reverse socks"? Cowgirls, apparently.

No, I've also seen the young female salespeople in the food aisles wearing them plenty of times as well. I never knew (and still don't know) what they are or what they're called; I think the closest thing I can describe them as are loose/baggy leg warmers (but even that doesn't sound accurate to me, since they are so loose/baggy that they would completely defeat the purpose of being "leg warmers," which leads me back to the whole conundrum of not knowing what to call them). I don't think they serve any real purpose or have any function; I guess Koreans apparently just think it looks good/fashionable (I remember my first co-teacher I used to work with once commented about it to me, saying that she thought those things look good; out of tact, I didn't say what I was thinking which was, "Uhh...no. No." Haha.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:43:25 pm by Mezoti97 »