Read 1847 times

• simw90
  • Adventurer

• January 05, 2014, 01:25:39 pm
Was this a dodgy contract?
« on: October 05, 2014, 02:10:48 pm »
A year ago, I found a teaching job at a chain school called JLS, and they gave me the flight tickets and everything.  I signed the contract and then scanned it and sent it to me by e-mail.. 
After I landed in Korea, the recruiter basically took me straight to the school.  I was tired after the 13 hour flight so wasn't ready to meet the boss at the time.
The boss was a 40ish something lady, and she scanned me from head to toes and didn't seem to like me.  I wasn't bubbly enough either.   
She apparently bitch mouthed the recruiter for lying to her.
I don't know why the boss didn't like me.  She saw my photo before hiring me and I didn't photo-shop it or anything.
Anyway, she then told me that I have to pass a "a week long training" test before I can work as a teacher there... I was like WTF?  I thought I was hired already.
She then told me that there is a high failure rate.  :huh:
I didn't pass the training SURPRISE SURPRISE, despite trying my best.  They made me do 2 mock teaching demos and there were 5 others at the time and they were crap too. I was the youngest out of them.  The worst thing was that the recruiter told me to pay back the flight fare lol... what part of the contract says that? 
And they were supposed to pay me during my 2 weeks of training but never ended up doing so.  I basically had to argue my way out of not paying for air fare. 
I don't exactly understand why they would hire someone like me aged 24, just straight out of college and then expecting me to be a super good english teacher. 
If they had really high standards, then they should have hired someone different with experience, but obviously the boss was greedy and wanted to save money.
I don't think I was crap either, I was doing well at another school and the kids loved me.
Why didn't they just pick someone with experience then?
And the the boss told me to pack my bags and find another job in Korea haha..
Anyway the recruiter then told me that they would find me another position, but I ignored them and found another recruiter because I didn't trust them anymore. 
I ended up working at a far better school in a metropolitan area, with far better working conditions. 

Anyway who made the bigger mistake here?  Me or them?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:45:36 pm by simw90 »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Was this was a dodgy contract?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:21:29 pm »
You dodged a huge bullet there.

The hagwon never had any legitimate intention of hiring you to teach English. You were simply supposed to be a marketing tool for them to use to con ignorant and gullible parents into sending their kids there.

Fortunately for you, you didn't meet the full criteria (in their expertly trained eyes) of female, pale of skin, preferably blonde and looks that would not look out of place on a movie set.

The bigger error is on their side, they obviously lost a bit of cash bringing you here, and will probably fork out again to find another person to dupe.

Kudos to you for taking it all in your stride and getting a better position working for actual human beings!

• simw90
  • Adventurer

• January 05, 2014, 01:25:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 03:57:32 pm »

Fortunately for you, you didn't meet the full criteria (in their expertly trained eyes) of female, pale of skin, preferably blonde and looks that would not look out of place on a movie set.

But the boss saw my photo before hiring me. She knew what I looked like.  We also talked on the phone.  But yeah, looks are really important in Korea I think.  I guess I'm not the most beautiful chick on the planet and right off the airplane, my fashion sense wasn't that great either.  Not to Korean's liking anyway.

I probably should have fought for my lost wages (I was supposed to get paid during training, it said on the contract) but I kinda felt sorry for them to lose money etc.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 04:11:59 pm »

But the boss saw my photo before hiring me. She knew what I looked like.  We also talked on the phone.  But yeah, looks are really important in Korea I think.  I guess I'm not the most beautiful chick on the planet and right off the airplane, my fashion sense wasn't that great either.  Not to Korean's liking anyway.

I probably should have fought for my lost wages (I was supposed to get paid during training, it said on the contract) but I kinda felt sorry for them to lose money etc.

Not necessarily saying that you're not attractive....it's just that the owner doesn't feel you physically meet the criteria she requires.

It really does take a special kind of stupid to think the way she does, but alas those type of people do exist.

I'm also willing to bet the recruiter may have photoshopped your picture before passing it on to her.

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2013, 11:17:05 am
    • Geoje Island
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:15:24 am »
but I kinda felt sorry for them to lose money etc.
[/quote]

It was their decision to not have you, not yours.    I would have taken it.  Glad to hear you found a much better school though.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:51:33 pm »

but I kinda felt sorry for them to lose money etc.
[/quote]

It's their fault. Happy things worked out for you in the end. So many good opportunities if you are here, and search for them.

• nimrand
  • Super Waygook

• April 07, 2013, 07:40:28 am
    • Lawrence, KS
Re: Was this a dodgy contract?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:03:20 pm »
You felt BAD for them to lose money?

They tried to use you, by bringing you here on the pretense that you were hired for a job, only to be informed that you had been lied to and that, in fact, you had to pass a "test" before you could be hired.  Then, they tried to get you to flip the bill for it, even though you were told you were being brought to Korea on their dime for a job you'd already been hired for.

No, having to pay for your airfare here was a minimum of what was owed to you.

• qi
  • Veteran

• July 21, 2011, 12:16:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »

The problem with Korea is you dodge a bullet and get hit by a train sooner or later. Really, your first impressions, your instincts, these should be alarm bells ringing in your ear. The way things work in Korea is obvious from the beginning and it should be enough to make you run for the hills, whether you dodge the bullet or not. You're just postponing the inevitable, dodge or no dodge - leaving Korea butthurt. It's just not a good place for foreigners or even most Koreans. The wise move is to think. "Ok, I dodged that, by LUCK and if I stay around, the next ball is gonna hit me square in the face."
It's just a matter of time. It's Korea.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:04:28 pm »

The problem with Korea is you dodge a bullet and get hit by a train sooner or later. Really, your first impressions, your instincts, these should be alarm bells ringing in your ear. The way things work in Korea is obvious from the beginning and it should be enough to make you run for the hills, whether you dodge the bullet or not. You're just postponing the inevitable, dodge or no dodge - leaving Korea butthurt. It's just not a good place for foreigners or even most Koreans. The wise move is to think. "Ok, I dodged that, by LUCK and if I stay around, the next ball is gonna hit me square in the face."
It's just a matter of time. It's Korea.

Really, qi... Is it THAT bad here?