Read 4584 times

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
Hi.

What products can I buy in Korea for getting rid of a terrible fridge odor?  Also, what are the steps for using it?   Do I need to remove the food my fridge first?

Re: Removing terrible fridge odor! What products are available in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:59:11 am »
have you tried plain ol bleach? often just giving your fridge a thorough scrubbing with that can get rid of odours. there's always soju too. seriously.

• Maggie Magic
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2014, 07:51:56 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »

Remove all the food and scrub it with normal cleaning products (to make sure it nothing in there still) and then wipe all the surfaces / sides down with white vinegar. Then leave half a lemon in the fridge (with the door closed for a day). 

It worked a marvel when I lived in a shared and one of the idiots I lived with "forgot" to maintain the fridge over summer; defrosted chicken, left for months in warm weather mmmm nice!

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 11:16:28 pm »
have you tried plain ol bleach? often just giving your fridge a thorough scrubbing with that can get rid of odours. there's always soju too. seriously.

Scrubbing the fridge with Soju?

Remove all the food and scrub it with normal cleaning products (to make sure it nothing in there still) and then wipe all the surfaces / sides down with white vinegar. Then leave half a lemon in the fridge (with the door closed for a day). 

It worked a marvel when I lived in a shared and one of the idiots I lived with "forgot" to maintain the fridge over summer; defrosted chicken, left for months in warm weather mmmm nice!

The vinegar and lemon idea sounds promising.   Do they sell regular vinegar here at Homeplus or Lotte?   I think they sell various types of vinegar here, including drinking vinegar.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:10 am »
I suggest trying baking soda -- just keep some (opened/exposed in a box or bag) in your fridge to get rid of the odor in your fridge. No need to take out the food from your fridge.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:50:56 am by Mezoti97 »

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 01:24:52 pm »
I suggest trying baking soda -- just keep some (opened/exposed in a box or bag) in your fridge to get rid of the odor in your fridge. No need to take out the food from your fridge.

This sounds like an easy one.  Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »
Clean your fridge out with a good countertop kitchen cleaner, followed by a rinse with a wet sponge. 

From now on, keep a box of baking soda in there.  You can also buy charcoal smell absorbing devices at Daiso that are made for both the fridge and freezer.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 05:35:13 pm »

Scrubbing the fridge with Soju?

yup, it actually makes a pretty good, cheap cleaner.

• terivinix
  • Expert Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 02:20:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 06:48:10 pm »
Baking soda is the sort of sensible advice you'd get from your mom.

Another good idea I saw the other day is sticking one or two of those hippo moisture absorbers in there as well.

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:46:26 am »
A bought a big tub of baking soda and it's saved me a million times. You can use it to clean literally everything, and it makes your clothes fresh if you toss it in your laundry.

I used baking soda to clear the deep rooted smell of kimchi out of my home fridge, and to remove the smell of old rotten ice cream from my school fridge.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:54:55 am »
Cat litter helps too. Keep an open jar of it in the fridge and it will absorb all the smells.
I saw that on Q.I so it must be legit.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 08:00:12 am »
they sell huge things of arm & hammer baking soda in the laundry section.  it is great for cleaning and deodorizing. 
if your fridge is really bad then clean it first like the others suggested and then leave a cup of baking soda in there (change it every few months) and it should help.

• ItsMaarrr
  • Waygookin

• May 16, 2014, 10:25:16 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:10:13 am »
My fridge had a really horrible odor when I first moved here. The smell seeped into all of my food and water pitcher and filled the room everytime I opened the refrigerator door. After you take everything out and clean it thoroughly, leave a bowl of orange peels mixed with salt in there and change it every 3 or so days. After doing this for about a week and a half, the odor should be completely gone! Hope that helps!

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 08:18:01 am »
I have been buying fridge deodorizers for ages from Homeplus. You can find them with the air fresheners. They're great for getting rid of bad smells, last 2-3 months at a time and are small so don't take up space in the fridge. Better yet, they don't spill.

I used to use Baking soda in my fridge, but my husband doesn't look before he jams things into the fridge, so would constantly spill the baking soda, hence the deodorizers now days.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 08:57:32 am »
White Vinegar is pretty much one of the best cleaners there is.  Although it has a strong smell itself, it will remove the smells and then its smell will evaporate leaving everything clean and neutral odor.  Smelly trashcan?  Soak a piece of bread in vinegar and leave it inside with the top covered.  Smell will be gone.