Read 196450 times

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 02:28:33 pm »
I don't think locations have shown up for all testing areas. I'm in the Chuncheon area, and my location is still undecided...

• lobotronic
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2011, 05:42:08 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 06:39:52 pm »
Thanks for the answers. I was hoping to know if there's a class near me before I apply for the placement test or anything. I'm very busy but I'm willing to give up my activities on the weekend if the location is close enough.

Anyone know if there's a class near Geumchon?

Sorry, the only Geumchon I could find was spelled 금천. I don't know if this is correct for you.

I searched on the socinet site, and this came up:

Teacher's name:김진
Contact number: 062-970-0356
Location (where the classes would take place): 전라남도 나주시 금천면 금영로 975
They need a minimum number of students to enrol, so it's not guaranteed that the classes will run. But if they do, this is where they would be held in your area.

• lobotronic
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2011, 05:42:08 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 09:51:36 pm »
Thanks for the answers. I was hoping to know if there's a class near me before I apply for the placement test or anything. I'm very busy but I'm willing to give up my activities on the weekend if the location is close enough.

Anyone know if there's a class near Geumchon?

Sorry, the only Geumchon I could find was spelled 금천. I don't know if this is correct for you.

I searched on the socinet site, and this came up:

Teacher's name:김진
Contact number: 062-970-0356
Location (where the classes would take place): 전라남도 나주시 금천면 금영로 975
They need a minimum number of students to enrol, so it's not guaranteed that the classes will run. But if they do, this is where they would be held in your area.

Thanks for looking, but I live in 금촌 in 파주. How do you search for locations on the site?

dammit! fail.

Sign up for the site. Then choose the leftmost tab option, "사회통합프로그램". among its drop-down options, go to "전국운영기관현황".

if you search for 파주 the only response is this:

일산다문화교육센터 (governing office)   파주시다문화가족지원센터 (who organizes the classes)   이사숙 (teacher)   031-906-1287   경기도 파주시 중앙로 229 (address of where the classes are held).
Looks like it's where you want! Here's a link to the Naver map: http://tinyurl.com/mohl6bl

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 09:55:01 am »
I don't think the test would be on a Monday. The last test of 2014 is this Saturday--November 1.

I don't think the 2015 schedule has been announced yet, but if it's like last year, there will be a test in late January and the classes will start in mid February.

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2011, 11:47:35 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 12:01:33 pm »
Oh, my bad. I think I saw an old schedule and I used this year's calendar.

I guess I'll either start from Level 0 or wait for the next test. but I can't seem to register for 사회통합프로그램 신청.

Do you have korean coworkers that can help you register?

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:45 pm »

Because they may be able help you navigate it better...? Also it's hard for people to help without being there

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »

Well good luck! I doubt the page has changed since when I registered two weeks ago

• BX
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2013, 08:31:41 am
    • Gangnam
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 02:43:26 pm »
I finished the program and wrote about the experience here. Check it out
http://www.electrow.com/visa-1/

• leabea87
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:36:05 pm
    • Gyeongsan, South Korea
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 07:26:31 pm »
I'm in the program now. Our last class is on December 6th.  They'll resume sometime in the beginning of March. Check back after the New Year. Best of luck to you!

• SnackySnack
  • Veteran

• October 15, 2013, 07:46:34 am
    more
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2014, 10:24:36 am »
I'm in the program now. Our last class is on December 6th.  They'll resume sometime in the beginning of March. Check back after the New Year. Best of luck to you!

May I ask what your schedule is like? Is it on the weekend? From what time to what time? Did you originally have a choice of different times at the same location?

I know it'll probably be different for different locations but I'd like to know what the options are, if any.

My class is also on the weekends. Saturday and Sundays from 9am - 2pm each day. This was the only choice (time frame) for this location. There were different times at other locations (including weekday mornings I believe) but they were either too far or at during work hours. Online classes were also available but I prefer the in-class experience. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:31 am »
The classes will resume in March next year. You can apply for classes at the end of december through January. Just keep checking back to the socinet site to see when you can apply for the placement exam.

I am sitting an exam on November 29th for the stage 4 (Intermediate 2) class, and then can only go onto the final stage starting in March, provided I pass the exam.

From what I've been told, March is the first classes of the year.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:28 am »
I did the placement test on Saturday (1st November). It's fairly straightforward.

First of all, you have to print and take your examination ticket from the website along with your ARC card.

There was a big poster on the front door with all the names of the people taking the test and their room numbers. Just as an aside, if you interested in who takes the classes, out of nearly 100 people, I was the only westerner. The others were nearly all South East Asian women and some men from Nepal and China.

Inside, I was ticked off the list and given a lanyard with a number.

On the desk in the classroom was a sheet of paper with all the KIIP class locations for the province with numbers and addresses, as well as an answer sheet and instructions for filling in the sheet (in Korean).

The answer sheet is a mass of numbers to be deleted as needed. You had to write your ARC number on the left side, choose which test you are taking, A or B, in the middle (The test paper says A or B on the front) and the rest is the 48 multiple choice questions in the test.  On the back of the answer sheet, there are two blank spaces for writing the answers to questions 49 and 50.

The test itself is just like TOPIK. It starts off really easy and gets progressively harder. I've been studying on and off for a year and get mid-range TOPIK level 2 results on practice papers and I found it got tricky after question 10, was basically done by question 15 (out of 50) and only answered 2 or 3 more after that. Overall, it was like doing a TOPIK level 5 or 6 test. Lots of intermediate and advanced level questions. You just have to keep in mind that its a level test and you only have to answer the questions you are able to answer.

The questions themselves are just like TOPIK as well. All multiple choice. Choose the right word to match the picture, particles, grammatical endings, appropriate responses, place in which the conversation is taking place, etc. There are a couple of paragraphs to read and questions to answer about them. It's nearly all reading based. The final two answers had to be written. No listening questions.

The test lasts 50 minutes and afterward we all went to a big room and they wrote the classroom numbers on the board and then 5 candidate numbers next to each. Then called each batch of numbers one by one. This was the speaking test.

We went into a room, all 5of us together, and each read the same paragraph out loud. Then they asked each of us 2 questions each. The first was easy, the second was hard. This took less than 10 minutes in total.

Then we handed in our lanyards and were done. Results one week later.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 11:28:15 am »
Namwon's got the procedure right, but it's slightly different if you're in an area with less people taking the test...

There were six of us. So, we just sat wherever we liked in the room, with no one directly next to us of course, and they just walked around, checked our printout and card, and checked us off. Our speaking test was then in threes, with first-come-first-served for the first batch (the ones in a hurry went first, basically).

I don't know why this test is so much more popular in other places, but with fewer people around me, I felt less stressed. (I'm in Gangwondo, btw.)

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 11:48:40 am »

Yeah I'm around topik level 3 and after question 25 i couldn't do much else

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:23 pm »
I have a TOPIK 2 certificate, and I quit guessing after question 28. I think I was pretty good through the first 20 or so. I didn't even try to answer the 2 written questions (#49 and 50).

The oral/speaking test. They put us in a room with 5 test-takers and 2 teachers. Gave us a paragraph to read. It was like "I felt sick on Monday, so I went to the hospital, etc." About 6-8 sentences. Read it aloud, then one of the teachers asks you a few questions. They asked a couple things about you, about your experience, about the reading ("Have you ever been to a traditional Korean wedding?" "Why did the person in the story have to go to the hospital?" "Have you gone to the hospital in Korea? Why?") They kept asking questions until one was too difficult for you to answer.

I took the test at Busan University of Foreign Studies (외대). I saw 2 other Westerners, one of whom I know is a hagwon teacher. There were 40 people in my classroom, and I was the only Westerner. I looked at the roster. 8/40 were Vietnamese women, I'm assuming almost all are married to Korean men. There were a handful of Chinese, both men and women. Several Bangladeshi men, I talked to these guys, they're factory workers for Samsung and Hyundai. They seemed REALLY impressed that I'm a school teacher!

Oh, I have a question about how they score the speaking section. I peeked at my grade sheet, and I had been given a score of 11. I think they're scoring you on 4 different points, and 0-5 on each of them, then average it out. So I'm guessing my overall score would be a 3?

Anyway, I'm hoping they put me in Level 3. That way I could make it through the program in 2015 and hopefully apply for my F-visa before my contract expires next November. We'll see how it goes!

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 05:18:37 pm »
I think your score on the speaking test is probably as written and not averaged.

On the website, it says if you score 3 or below on the speaking test then your written test result is ignored and you get put straight onto level 0 Korean foundation course for two weeks. Which I guess is learning to read Hanguel.

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 12:07:24 pm »
Oooh, that would make sense! Like, you can't even read the sample text without making a ton of mistakes, and you can't answer a simple question about it. That would probably put you around 3 points.

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 09:36:39 am »
This is a practice test for TOPIK. I am sure you could use it to prepare for this too! 
http://www.naldaramjui.com/TOPIK

I don't think it would be worthwhile to "prepare" for it, other than normal studying you may be doing. There's only maybe 10 questions per korean level, so it's pretty random what you'll end up getting.

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 03:31:55 pm »
Do the classes start at different times in different provinces?

My level is showing on the 'my page' on the website, but no classes are available for me to pick.  I had someone call to see if/ when the classes are going to start and the answer they gave was February after another test in January... seems a bit stupid to make people sit a test in November then wait for them to join a class in February after the January test. I don't see the logic so find it a little hard to believe we have to wait that long...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:33:29 pm by ashe1590 »

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2014, 11:28:01 am »
Is your test result up from the November 1 test? Mine's not up yet (I'm in Busan).

It might seem stupid, but that's the way it is. There are 3 semesters in a year (Spring, Summer, Fall), and 5 test dates. So those of us who took the November 1 test will have to wait.

My guess is that the Level 0 class will start in late January and the Level 1-4 classes will start in late February. Of course, I'll stand corrected if someone else has better information.