Read 196448 times

Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2015, 04:16:29 pm »
Thanks enzr....but I dont know if this homework thing will work. I have heard that immigration office is very strict about attendence. Even they do surprise visit to offline classes. Therefore I am thinking to subscribe korea-based vpn (flyvpn) coupled with fast and reliable internet. I hope this will work outside of Korea. It would be nice to know from someone who has taken online KIIP classes outside of Korea without any problem.

Everyone in my class, including myself, has missed several classes and we only meet once a week. However, its very small and my teacher is chill. I usually talk to her about it if I have to miss class and do the work for that week on my own. I don't recommend missing classes if avoidable, but I think it depends on your teacher if you can get away with it or not.

Not to argue against tofusquare, just a heads up for anyone reading this who is new to the program. the official line is that you have to attend 80 out of 100 hours (for levels 1 to 4), so you can only miss 20 hours of class before you fail. That does depend on your teacher logging your hours in the system, so yeah, that is up to the teacher.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2015, 04:30:34 pm »
I could imagine the teacher logging the students as having had attended if there was an incentive such as being paid based on attending students.

« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:41 am »
I just completed Beginner 2 and attendance was very strictly logged; anything below 80% was an instant 'fail'. I also had to change course to one running a week later to ensure I'd be in the country for the final exam. If you can't make your class's assigned final date it's also an instant 'fail'.

If you fail you need to do the same course again. I was told by my teacher that if you want to redo the placement test you have to wait 6 months from the last class you attended or your last placement test (whichever was latest).

If you don't think you can make up 80% of the hours it's probably not worth your time. It's a big time commitment and nobody really wants to do the same course twice. I managed to switch courses to one where I could make the 80% minimum but only because the class I wanted started one week later so I had a brief window to figure all this out.

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2015, 09:25:40 am »
I just completed Beginner 2 and attendance was very strictly logged; anything below 80% was an instant 'fail'. I also had to change course to one running a week later to ensure I'd be in the country for the final exam. If you can't make your class's assigned final date it's also an instant 'fail'.

If you fail you need to do the same course again. I was told by my teacher that if you want to redo the placement test you have to wait 6 months from the last class you attended or your last placement test (whichever was latest).

If you don't think you can make up 80% of the hours it's probably not worth your time. It's a big time commitment and nobody really wants to do the same course twice. I managed to switch courses to one where I could make the 80% minimum but only because the class I wanted started one week later so I had a brief window to figure all this out.

Not completely true. I took the final exam on a wednesday with another class instead of on the friday I was supposed to take it on. So just 2 days early, so depends on how much of the final week you'll miss i supposed, but if you talk to your teacher about the final exam you can probably get it worked out.
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2015, 09:50:27 am »

Not completely true. I took the final exam on a wednesday with another class instead of on the friday I was supposed to take it on. So just 2 days early, so depends on how much of the final week you'll miss i supposed, but if you talk to your teacher about the final exam you can probably get it worked out.

I was told (unsurprisingly considering our collective experiences with Korean bureaucracy) that taking the final exam with a different class was 'impossible'. Perhaps they said this because the final exam was later so it'd be considered an unfair advantage for me to have an extra week's study time.

« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »
My final is on Sunday I'm hoping I don't have a problem with the number of hours logged.

you should be able to check on your My Page in the website. I think most teachers (if not all) log the hours after class, so you can see your current total. It doesnt display decimal points, but they are still on the system even if you can't see it. (i.e. if you've done 70.5 hours, your mypage will look like 70 hours, but anyone with access to the database will see the 70.5)
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• zizitaji
  • Waygookin

• June 30, 2015, 03:23:39 am
    • Korea
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2015, 03:28:04 pm »
I'm having trouble joining the website. I've tried countless time to create an account and after pressing yes to join as a member, all of the words in my fields turn to gibberish. Anyone know what's wrong? It all goes wrong after I choose ,  register as a member.

I'm an absolute beginner so I can't understand most of what is written in the dialogue box that pops up after the gibberish appears.

thanks

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
Re: F-2 VISA - Updated 2015 Point System!
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2015, 09:52:18 am »
F-2 VISA - Updated 2015 Point System

English Version: 07.20 KIIP Update
Korean Version: 07.20 KIIP Update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYGHLYm4hk

* Look in the description box for all the files ^^

Do you still get 10 points for completing the program?

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2015, 10:07:13 am »
I'm having trouble joining the website. I've tried countless time to create an account and after pressing yes to join as a member, all of the words in my fields turn to gibberish. Anyone know what's wrong? It all goes wrong after I choose ,  register as a member.

I'm an absolute beginner so I can't understand most of what is written in the dialogue box that pops up after the gibberish appears.

thanks

Have you tried using Internet Explorer?  Many Korean websites don't function well on other browsers  :rolleyes:

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2015, 09:42:19 am »
How did you manage one on one?

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2015, 10:32:55 am »

thanks

Sounds like an encoding or font fallback issue. Try a different browser, set the default fallback font set to a Korean-friendly one, or try setting the page encoding manually. Rare to encounter these problems for Korean sites, but its a stock standard issue for Japanese so there'll be plenty of FAQs out there for you. Just search for 'page encoding' or 'character encoding'.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #271 on: October 26, 2015, 12:25:30 pm »
How can you sign up to take the placement test again?

I took it last year in November, but due to the lack of students in my class, I had to audit a higher level. I'm sure I can get into a higher level this year, but I can't find out how to sign up again.

If it helps, this is what I see on my socinet "My Page."

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #272 on: October 26, 2015, 12:47:40 pm »
Never mind, figured it out...you need to sign up in another tab of the website.

For posterity: go to "사회통합프로그램," then to the last section of that tab "평가신청."

...it's been a while since I took the test, guess I forgot.

• EBatty
  • Explorer

• May 31, 2014, 07:05:57 am
« Reply #273 on: November 02, 2015, 05:40:16 pm »
Does anyone know if there's a way to contact KIIP for help? I'm also having issues joining the website but because it won't allow me to click "join" after entering my information. Nothing happens, no pop ups and no new page. It just won't allow me to select it. I've checked that the information is correct multiple times so I don't see what the problem is.

I'm using a mac but have tried chrome and safari. Any insight appreciated!

« Reply #274 on: November 02, 2015, 05:44:21 pm »
Does anyone know if there's a way to contact KIIP for help? I'm also having issues joining the website but because it won't allow me to click "join" after entering my information. Nothing happens, no pop ups and no new page. It just won't allow me to select it. I've checked that the information is correct multiple times so I don't see what the problem is.

I'm using a mac but have tried chrome and safari. Any insight appreciated!

use internet explorer on a PC. go to a PC Bang if you have to. korean websites in general are just complete abominations of coding. sooo many things don't work properly. even in IE!

« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2015, 01:51:27 pm »
Just received my score for the level 5 final test.  58.  60 is passing.  Incredibly disappointed.  Is there a way to petition to let me pass?  Or maybe retake the test?  Has anyone else had a similar experience?  I'd rather not spend 40-50 more hours of class time for two lousy points if I don't have to. 

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2015, 02:22:56 pm »
Just received my score for the level 5 final test.  58.  60 is passing.  Incredibly disappointed.  Is there a way to petition to let me pass?  Or maybe retake the test?  Has anyone else had a similar experience?  I'd rather not spend 40-50 more hours of class time for two lousy points if I don't have to.

Was this your first time taking the exam? If so, then you have to resit the class again, there is no other way. If it's your second time taking the exam then you may be able to get a pass grade from them.

58 is not bad! You did much better than I did. I walked out more confident than I walked in, but the reading part was my downfall.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2015, 06:36:04 pm »

Was this your first time taking the exam? If so, then you have to resit the class again, there is no other way. If it's your second time taking the exam then you may be able to get a pass grade from them.

58 is not bad! You did much better than I did. I walked out more confident than I walked in, but the reading part was my downfall.

It was in fact my first time attempting the test.  I felt confident about it when I walked out, but the more I thought about it, the reading got me pretty good.  I did fine on the speaking and writing (I was most confident about them).  I guess I'll just have to sit in the class and try and absorb more (since I had to miss 7 hours the first time because of work).  At least my second attempt at the class starts at 2pm and not 10am, so I can focus more.     

« Reply #278 on: November 15, 2015, 05:34:26 am »
I took the pre-level test today and the speaking portion was downright awful. The proctors were rude and basically wrote off everyone, except 1 person in my group because we were low level. One of the proctors made snide comments and talked about us in front of our faces, just because she felt she could. The questions were hard and I have no idea how they expected people who wanted to get into or have just completed level 1 to answer. Not to mention they didn't even give us a moment to collect our thoughts. Of course, it was definitely luck of the draw because there was a second group of test takers in the room and their proctors seemed a whole lot more friendlier and sympathetic to the needs of Korean learners.

Oh well, what was I to expect from a free program?

« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2015, 09:50:45 am »
I took the pre-level test today and the speaking portion was downright awful. The proctors were rude and basically wrote off everyone, except 1 person in my group because we were low level. One of the proctors made snide comments and talked about us in front of our faces, just because she felt she could. The questions were hard and I have no idea how they expected people who wanted to get into or have just completed level 1 to answer. Not to mention they didn't even give us a moment to collect our thoughts. Of course, it was definitely luck of the draw because there was a second group of test takers in the room and their proctors seemed a whole lot more friendlier and sympathetic to the needs of Korean learners.

Oh well, what was I to expect from a free program?
What were the questions?