Read 196455 times

Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2015, 07:56:07 pm »
I signed up awhile back but I still haven't received any information. Was I suppose to receive a message or email already?

Yes, you should've received a text message. Log in to the socinet website and check if you have an attendance slip you can print out. That has also the location on it.

I didn't receive a text message but I saw my ticket online. Thanks :)

« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2015, 10:54:29 pm »
Sat the placement test today. Pretty much what everyone said holds up to being true.

What I didn't appreciate was going into the speaking test as one of 5 people, who all had the exact same 6 or 8 sentence passage in front of them but being the first to have to speak. As in, sit down and 5 seconds later I had to read the passage and answer questions. Which it was easy enough to do, but the fact the third or fourth or fifth person had so much more time to read each sentence and get all the details was not cool. And the 'free questions' which were the same...they had a lot more time to prepare. I got blinded by panic and made up the most stupid answer because when they asked me what was intersting about my life in Korea, I realized the truth of sitting at home and cross-stitching and streaming TV (which i'm happy with) was probably not interesting so ended up looking like an idiot talking about Craft Breweries and how that's interesting and fun to experience.

But Mr 4th and 5th had so much time to think about that.  So note to other test takers, don't be an idiot and sit in the most-left seat (when facing the interviewers).

Also  how hard would it be to give 5 people 5 different passages that were simple enough and similar enough? The passages stay the same for the hundreds of testees, but just in each group you get different ones. I would do that with my own classes if I had this setup.

Anyway, that would be my major complaint (i'd also like them to not let people turn over the passage until their turn) would be my only complaint. Did find the question asking about which note the "pretty" female is on (i.e. 50,000 won) to hit one of my micro-agressions in korea (men getting introduced with qualifications or similar but always women as being 'our pretty [subject name] teacher).

Hoping for a level 3 placement, but expecting a 2.  But that's okay, not really on a time-crunch just want to do the course as way to improve my Korean rather then a path to a visa as I'm already on the way for the spouse visa probably before i'd finish the course.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2015, 03:13:20 am »

Sorry you had a rough experience, but it's a placement test. It's not a competition against the other people in the room. That's even how some interviews in Korea work, with other people in the same room.  Besides that's when you know you're good at a language, spontaneity.

• rowdes
  • Veteran

• June 23, 2010, 02:37:28 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2015, 08:27:00 am »
agreed with macteacher.

I found this to be a great experience (first time taking a test in Korea), so I had no complaints about what happened. I mean, who cares if the other students had about 1-2 minutes to prepare their answers. If you were taking this test in order to get into a high level class for your visa requirements, I would understand.

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2015, 03:47:54 pm »
I took the placement test yesterday (Sat the 28th), and I'm wondering how long it will take for the results. I checked this whole thread and on the website but I couldn't really see an answer.

Also, when will the classes become available for registration? I want to do it ASAP so I can get the best choice for time and day before it fills up.

« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2015, 05:13:13 pm »
on the test ticket it said 'within seven days'...so sometime soon!
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• salkdj1sj
  • Waygookin

• February 28, 2015, 01:09:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2015, 06:39:29 pm »
I thought the placement test was really successful (though my expectations weren't really high). I think it will show the test taker's true level because of the varied grammar points and the vocab that differed from beginner to advanced. Well, even the reading part about the Korean election's wasn't that advanced, definitely doable. The only questions I didn't get were really about Korean culture and, so I think the course will be quite enjoyable if I get to learn more about those things.

The speaking exam though. They let the first girl say the whole passage but stopped me after the first sentence. I don't think they are being "mean" or "unfair" for letting other people have more time to read the passage at all because it also tests your level pretty well. The passage was very beginner level, so if you need more time to read it through, you are a beginner. If you can just skim it through and know what it was all about, you're more advanced. Hence "placement test".

Our group was asked first how do we feel about our Korean life. Second question was why are there so many traffic accidents in Korea and its follow-up question was what would you do to decrease it. Third one was have you ever been to the community center in your neighbourhood, if yes, what did you do. The follow-up question to that was how is the community center in your home country.

Again, I thought it was very appropriate because they could easily see the level of Korean comprehension skills, speaking skills (grammar/pronounciation), and knowledge about "everyday" Korean culture.

Also, my ticket says that the results will come out in 7 to 10 days after which you can apply for the courses.

« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2015, 10:37:03 pm »
I thought the placement test was really successful (though my expectations weren't really high). I think it will show the test taker's true level because of the varied grammar points and the vocab that differed from beginner to advanced. Well, even the reading part about the Korean election's wasn't that advanced, definitely doable. The only questions I didn't get were really about Korean culture and, so I think the course will be quite enjoyable if I get to learn more about those things.

The speaking exam though. They let the first girl say the whole passage but stopped me after the first sentence. I don't think they are being "mean" or "unfair" for letting other people have more time to read the passage at all because it also tests your level pretty well. The passage was very beginner level, so if you need more time to read it through, you are a beginner. If you can just skim it through and know what it was all about, you're more advanced. Hence "placement test".

Our group was asked first how do we feel about our Korean life. Second question was why are there so many traffic accidents in Korea and its follow-up question was what would you do to decrease it. Third one was have you ever been to the community center in your neighbourhood, if yes, what did you do. The follow-up question to that was how is the community center in your home country.

Again, I thought it was very appropriate because they could easily see the level of Korean comprehension skills, speaking skills (grammar/pronounciation), and knowledge about "everyday" Korean culture.

Also, my ticket says that the results will come out in 7 to 10 days after which you can apply for the courses.

More relevant than my speaking exam questions:

1. Lately Koreans are having less babies. Why?

2. Have you ever been to a Korean hospital? What for?

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2015, 10:46:42 pm »
Sat the placement test today. Pretty much what everyone said holds up to being true.

What I didn't appreciate was going into the speaking test as one of 5 people, who all had the exact same 6 or 8 sentence passage in front of them but being the first to have to speak. As in, sit down and 5 seconds later I had to read the passage and answer questions. Which it was easy enough to do, but the fact the third or fourth or fifth person had so much more time to read each sentence and get all the details was not cool. And the 'free questions' which were the same...they had a lot more time to prepare. I got blinded by panic and made up the most stupid answer because when they asked me what was intersting about my life in Korea, I realized the truth of sitting at home and cross-stitching and streaming TV (which i'm happy with) was probably not interesting so ended up looking like an idiot talking about Craft Breweries and how that's interesting and fun to experience.

But Mr 4th and 5th had so much time to think about that.  So note to other test takers, don't be an idiot and sit in the most-left seat (when facing the interviewers).

Also  how hard would it be to give 5 people 5 different passages that were simple enough and similar enough? The passages stay the same for the hundreds of testees, but just in each group you get different ones. I would do that with my own classes if I had this setup.

Anyway, that would be my major complaint (i'd also like them to not let people turn over the passage until their turn) would be my only complaint. Did find the question asking about which note the "pretty" female is on (i.e. 50,000 won) to hit one of my micro-agressions in korea (men getting introduced with qualifications or similar but always women as being 'our pretty [subject name] teacher).

Hoping for a level 3 placement, but expecting a 2.  But that's okay, not really on a time-crunch just want to do the course as way to improve my Korean rather then a path to a visa as I'm already on the way for the spouse visa probably before i'd finish the course.

have you ever considered opening a newsstand?

As noted, it's not a competition. Yes, the first person doesn't really get much time to look over the passage ahead of time, but it's an evaluation of your level. Sometimes you have to speak and think spontaneously. They also don't always start on the left, and sometimes they ask different questions to everyone, only a single question about the text and move on to free questions. If a person is very low level, they don't really get past the first question.

Does anyone have any idea when the classes will start. I saw on the sheet that L1-4 sign-ups (I think) open May 15th, but do you think there will be online classes with start dates before then?
They shouldn't take that long to start. Results will be out this week and sign-ups for new classes should start pretty soon after that. There would be no reason to have them start classes a month after you got your result.

Those questions didn't make much sense. Most foreigners would never have any reason to go to the 주민센터 in Korea. Before you got citizenship in Korea, the most common reason I could think of that you might need to go there would be if you had a large piece of garbage you needed a tag for to throw away. Beyond that, you can't really do anything there. Even at the gu office, all you can do is change your address. I would have thought there might have been some better questions they could have asked. Like "How do you buy a card to ride the subway" or simulate a phone call to order food, or a store transaction (including asking the staff how to find something) or something along those lines.

« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2015, 11:38:22 am »
The speaking test was by far my worst section. I crumbled under the pressure and ended up producing very little Korean. I realize that that's what society will actually be like, though. Little context, not much time to analyse, background noise and distractions, few prompts. I'm holding out for level 2. I'll be pretty gutted if I score lower than that.

The written exam was an, unintentional I'm sure, test on Korean culture. Considering that they provide lessons for people who can't read 한글 I thought they might provide instructions in a variety of languages but the majority was given in standard-speed Korean. I can't see how a level 0 would even have made it to the venue.

• jchoi911
  • Adventurer

• July 07, 2010, 07:39:27 am
    • Busan
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »
 :undecided:

the written test was fair for the most part.. except when they started asking about specific Korean culture questions...not grammar ones. It's like obscure things that don't really come up in normal conversation.

Speaking test was a GONG show. not the test itself..but how it was organized..People (I guess mostly spouses of Korean husbands) kept cutting in line and crowding the doors... the staff weren't doing anything about it. Ended up doing it last.

Reading the passage was easy. The questions asked weren't too difficult.
2 reading comprehension questions. and How's your life in korea?

« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2015, 03:27:51 pm »
I did better than I thought considering I bombed the speaking test. I got level 2 but I ended up being just a whisker away from level 3. I'm not complaining, I read that level 2 is taught completely in Korean and I could definitely use the practice.

chaset09 Congrats!

Anyone know how long we can expect to wait for a class?

« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2015, 07:47:16 pm »
I got this text message today (Because the level test results are released..level 3 by the skin of my nose i believe).

From what I gather (correct me if I'm wrong), the offline (normal) classes' schedule will be available from the 15th of May in the afternoon for Level 1 to 4. Level 5 will be available from 6th of June.

The online is a little bit earlier (6th of April) but you have to have a good reason (pregnant, too far from workplace, seeking work etc).

I'm pretty sure I'm not reading it wrong, but it seems like a long long way away to just apply? Maybe classes start pretty soon after that? Any insight would be appreciated^^
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:53:33 pm by probablylauren »

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2015, 11:12:41 pm »
The online is a little bit earlier (6th of April) but you have to have a good reason (pregnant, too far from workplace, seeking work etc).
Not really..
it's not quite so restrictive. Most of the classes are morning or just day time. If you work during the day you will have no problem getting into the online classes. They don't really ask for any proof. I helped a friend sign up for them last year, she took pretty much all internet courses and they didn't ask her for anything. They say that to discourage people, to keep them open for those that really need them. The online courses have really small class sizes though, like 9 max, so they fill up really fast.

Tests results are up. Somehow managed to make it into level 3 (which is really suprising as I have no idea about half of the grammar in level 2). Seems like there are currently no classes open for next term though. I'm thinking were sadly probably going to have to wait for a while . 
Is it possible to get the books anywhere? You seem to know what is in level 2. I wonder if other people in your situation could get the lower level books just to go over before starting their level.

• Loudine
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 10:54:44 am
    • Chilgok, Daegu
« Reply #214 on: April 07, 2015, 10:29:13 am »
I live in Gumi, which is a pretty small little country city, and I was able to do lessons on a Sunday for four hours, in lieu of the morning classes.  I think if it was an option in GUmi it should be in most bigger cities, too.
Totally worthwhile, I started on my MA degree so had to take a hiatus, but I'm planning to start back up again during the summer.
Incidentally, even though I totally bombed my test and got level nothing, I was the only one at that level so got bumped into level 1 - I was the only English speaking foreigner so our classes were 100% in Korean, with the teacher occasionally explaining something to me in English when I was completely lost.  With a lot of use of my translator apps I got through it, though.

• jchoi911
  • Adventurer

• July 07, 2010, 07:39:27 am
    • Busan
« Reply #215 on: April 07, 2015, 01:32:47 pm »
Program offering is pretty disappointing and weak.  Only 2 classes are offered, and both were online courses with 9 people max.
There were more than a hundred people at the Pre-test in Busan..
poor planning...
I think people are willing to pay for the course if it's possible.

• chaset09
  • Newgookin

• January 29, 2014, 11:49:02 am
    • NC
« Reply #216 on: April 07, 2015, 01:57:33 pm »
I think that for the main session (Which opens registration in May), there will be significantly more classes that open up. As this wasn't one of the main 3 sessions, only a few classes opened this time.

As for grammar, I have no idea how accurate these links are, but this person outlines the grammar in levels 2,3, and 4 which is how I gauged my competancy for level 2.

http://chasingatale.blogspot.kr/2013/08/kiip-level-2-grammar-lesson-links.html
http://chasingatale.blogspot.kr/2013/09/kiip-intermediate-1-grammar-cheat-sheet.html
http://chasingatale.blogspot.kr/2013/10/kiip-level-4-grammar-cheat-sheet.html

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2015, 02:03:20 pm »

While the offering leaves a lot to be desired, it's a rolling program so check back. I think you guys are jumping the gun a little. If you read about the program most things mention it can take 2 years+ to finish (from level 1), with about 2-3 classes a year. Probably faster with good timing, longer with bad luck.

Anyway you pretty much have to be checking often, cause I far as I've witnessed they just kind of show up.  There are main periods to sign up and then some others open up between.

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2015, 10:00:47 am »
Does anyone know when the course will start for the summer? I signed up for the pre-test and I got May 9 and I'm wondering when the course will be after that.
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2015, 10:06:12 am »
And on the KIIP profile page, does anyone know what the "deputizing attendance application" button means? or the "vicarious class application" button means?
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com