Read 196462 times

• hibernia
  • Adventurer

• October 09, 2014, 05:27:01 pm
    • Dublin, Ireland
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2015, 05:10:42 pm »
I applied for an online class (within the time frame ) I was the 6th of 9 applications and I just logged in today to see that I was rejected for the class! wtf?

I can't do any of the other class times because I work a split shift..... :sad:

« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2015, 05:21:44 pm »
i wanted to do this program mainly for the Korean language component. but after reading everyone's experiences so far, it sounds like a typical Korean disaster zone - no info, and the info you do get is last minute; websites that don't work properly; complete lack of planning and foresight; even trying to the simplest thing results in immense frustration. thanks but no thanks.

i think i'm gonna stay far, far away from this and find some other, less painful way to learn Korean.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2015, 05:27:26 pm »
0 literally means 0. You know nothing. You probably know more than you think, probably level two if you've already studied. Just take the pretest naturally and don't force it, as others have said, and you'll get your true level.

Has anyone placed into level 1? How much Korean do you need to know to not get level 0?

When I take my placement test I'll have been studying Korean at a hagwon for 3 months - I'll be just getting read to start Sogang University's 2A book if anyone is familiar with that.

Is level 0 for people that can't read and write or is for people who only know a few things, like me? My vocabulary and grammar skills are very limited.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2015, 05:32:17 pm »
I finally got through, thanks! They really aren't kidding about the symbols. I used a - and that wasn't enough! Lol. Then there was the debacle with my name, took me 35 mins...lol.

So here's a question. Until you have a pretest score, you can't view class schedules?

I tried doing this but was unsuccessful. It doesn't help that the translations are kind of wonky.  :P

rowdes, dumb question but did you create a login?

Anyway, I still can't because it won't accept my password choice no matter what I put in there. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not sure about you guys but everytime I click on the '사회통합프로그램 신청' tab, I keep getting the Korean message that there is no program to sign up to.

Anyone else having this problem?

I had this problem before as well
You have to make a password that mixes alphabet, numbers, and symbols (!@#$%) and at least 10 letters long
for example,  abcde123!@#
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2015, 07:11:21 pm »
I applied for an online class (within the time frame ) I was the 6th of 9 applications and I just logged in today to see that I was rejected for the class! wtf?

If I remember correctly, when you apply for the online class, you have to give a reason, right?  Perhaps your reason was deemed "not worthy" for some reason? 

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2015, 10:55:41 pm »
For those who have gone through at least one level, what are the midterms and finals like?
Is it fill in the blanks? Essay? Speaking? Multiple choice? What content do they tend to focus on? I'd like to study with a miderm and final in mind.

there is no midterm

A level 2 writing a Korean essay... lol like a monkey on a typewriter

I'm in level 2 and the teacher said there is a midterm and a final. I'd like to know the specifics of the midterm and final from a student's point of view.

maybe you rubbed her the wrong way?

Hahaha, you think I somehow rubbed her the wrong way so much that she decided to write up a midterm and final for the whole class?

Just because the class changed so that now there's a midterm and final doesn't mean you're wrong. You don't have to somehow blame me for the midterm and final to make up for you giving the wrong information.

A lot of things have changed this year. We now have to pay 20,000W for the class, including the textbook.

If the midterm is new this year then why are you asking people for advice on it?

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2015, 07:49:30 am »
I got my class info and after all the pain I went through to enroll there is no time slot I would be able to take, and they have told me I need to gain an extra level in order to take a weekend class, but I can't sit the test for another 6 months but it is still not guaranteed there will be a weekend class available if I go through the process again.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2011, 11:47:35 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2015, 07:58:12 am »
I got my class info and after all the pain I went through to enroll there is no time slot I would be able to take, and they have told me I need to gain an extra level in order to take a weekend class, but I can't sit the test for another 6 months but it is still not guaranteed there will be a weekend class available if I go through the process again.

It's kind of crazy. There online classes for my level for the time I can take it, only has 9 people for the whole country. Come on Korea, I know your population count is going down. Let me be a better member of your community.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2015, 08:23:28 am »

It's kind of crazy. There online classes for my level for the time I can take it, only has 9 people for the whole country. Come on Korea, I know your population count is going down. Let me be a better member of your community.

Here's the kicker. They don't give a shit about you becoming a part of the community, if fact, its probably what the don't want. This program is just there to show they are excepting of waygooks etc, and make Koreas image towards foreigners look good... it's not actually there to help you.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• Horsey
  • Adventurer

• October 01, 2014, 02:21:08 pm
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:51 am »
I got a level 1 weekend class in Busan, and the teacher called me to register. However, I'm the only student enrolled at the moment,  so I'm slightly concerned the classes will be cancelled!

Anyway level 0 implies you don't know the alphabet well, can't read and have trouble responding to "what's your name", "where are you from" etc.

Level 1 implies you can read slowly and have basic conversations.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2015, 10:41:10 am »
Just so people know, if you just want to focus on the language... YMCA Korean English School is accredited by the gov. and those certificates will count towards your points.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• ohar94
  • Adventurer

• September 08, 2011, 12:51:36 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2015, 11:13:56 am »
I'm taking the Level 0 class this Saturday and Sunday (Final day is Sunday).  Does anyone know if they will set me up with the Level 1 class the following week?  Or do I have to wait for the next round of classes to be offered again?

« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2015, 11:54:10 am »
Just so people know, if you just want to focus on the language... YMCA Korean English School is accredited by the gov. and those certificates will count towards your points.

Have you tried this, Hot6? If so, what is required? Just the certificate of completion from YMCA? I have one of these and am just a few points shy, so might be able to use it.

« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »

Have you tried this, Hot6? If so, what is required? Just the certificate of completion from YMCA? I have one of these and am just a few points shy, so might be able to use it.
You can get 1 point for "studying at an accredited Korean language institute in Korea". It doesn't matter which levels or how many, just at least one semester. A semester at KIIP doesn't count as it's not a language institute.

KIIP can earn you language ability points or a TOPIK score can, but not a language institute. Very few people who pass a level 6 at hagwon can actually achieve a topik 6.

• gaelsano
  • Waygookin

• August 11, 2011, 03:42:33 pm
    • Jeolla
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2015, 03:59:28 pm »
As said this programme is very hard indeed to get information on.

Here's the deal:

It's rolling recruitment. As long as you have a placement level based on positive result from a previous final or a certain score on the placement exam you are able to register for any classes at your level. Classes are created whenever they feel like and DO NOT line up with the testing schedule or anything like that.

Yes, online classes are 9 per level for the whole country and the sports fill up quickly. They do NOT announce upcoming registration periods in advance on main page or on your personal account page. You have to ask around and still you have to check the main site daily.

Level 5 is only 50 hours, not 100 hours because it is just the cultural portion.

I am a TOPIK 4, nearly a 5 and I only got into level 4 on my placement test. It is bizarre and people I spoke with at the national and local levels have indirectly told me they were shocked I didnt get into level 5. The placement test was ridiculously easy for me. The only I could have done so poorly was to bungle up the speaking portion, which I did. The tester did a roll call for the interview and he said my middle name only.  It is possible there was someone with that name as their first name so I responded with my full name and the person grumbled in rude Korean about how I speak in Korean and not in English. I could tell he had it out for me. Imagine being an Italian kid in America, the teacher calls out "Nard", looks at you, then you respond "Leonardo" and then the teacher says you should speak in English, not Italian.

And guess what, you can only take 2 level tests per year, spaced by at least 6 months! So this means I would have to wait until August!

They dont put that information ANYWHERE. Dont take the test blindly. If youre at an intermediate level, put it off for a month or two and study! Your second chance will be six months or more down the line.

Once you have X hours of class completed, you qualify for the mid-term. The mid-terms are administered independently of your courses. The mid-term will be whenever they decide. It is NOT necessarily in the middle of your course. Some courses meet two times a week and take four months; some courses meet four times a week and take two months.

Once you finished a course and hae successfully passed a midterm, you are eligible for a final.

The classes are FAR FAR FAR below where they should be in difficulty. I just started and I just sit there and read my newspapers all class (I read a national progressive/working-class paper, a mainstream/conservative paper, and a local one my professor contributes for. It's great for your hanja vocabulary!)

The books for level four are barely enough to help you pass a level 3 topik, let alone a level four. And my classmates can't string a sentence, can't pronounce anything, and can't differentiate between verbs and adjectives, and they haven't even mastered the past tense. Even though passing this level four course is supposed to be equivalent to a TOPIK 4!

The placement has a NEW rubric. The official website has old data.

0 points or failing the speaking portion: level 0

3-20 points: Level 1

21-40 poiints: Level 2

41-60 points: Level 3

61-80 points: Level 4

81-100 points: language class exemption, level 5 culture class only.

Also, if you want the F visa via points be aware that the requirements have changed and to my knowledge are not available in English. I *was* nearly eligible and became uneligible when they changed the rules, hence I'm taking the class.

Age: 18-24 (20p), 25-29 (23p), 30-34 (25p), 35-39 (23p), 40-44 (20p), 45-50 (18p), 51+ (15p)

Degree: PhD in Korea (40p), PhD (33p), Master's in Korea (34p), Master's (30p), Bacheor's in Korea (29p), Bachelor's (26p). 2yr degree in Korea (25), 2yr degree (23p), high school diploma (15p).

+2p if your highest degree is a STEM degree.* (check the specifics by talking to an immi agent)

+1p if you have a semester at a university-affiliated language school in Korea unless you have a degree in Korea (you can't get credit for taking Korean language classes at a university if you're taking advantage of more points for taking a master's or PhD in Korea.)

Language and culture: TOPIK 6 (20p), TOPIK 6 and KIIP level 5 (30p), TOPIK 5 (18p), TOPIK 5 and KIIP level 5 (28p), TOPIK 4 or KIIP level 4  (16p), KIIP level 5 (26p), TOPIK 3 or KIIP level 3 (14p), TOPIK 2 or KIIP  level 2 (12p), TOPIK 1 or KIIP level 1 (10p)

Completing KIIP level 5 is a plus 10 upon your pre-existing Korean level (your pre-existing level being at least a 4 in the KIIP program and also a TOPIK 5 or 6).

Yearly Pay (based on immediately preceding 12 months): 100 mil (10p) 90 mil (9p) .....less than 2 mil (1p)

Income Taxes (based on last tax record from most recent January, just ask your bank for info): 5 mil won (5p), 4 mil won (4p), 3 mil won (3p), 2 mil won (2p), 1 mil won (1p), less (0p)

Volunteering in Korea: 3 yrs (5p), 2 yrs (3p), 1 yr (1p)
I have no idea how many hours per week are required

Professional experience abroad, full-time, year-round: 3 yrs (5p), 2 yrs (3p), 1 yr (1p),
Substitute teaching, part-time year-round, or full-time seasonal work do not count. I do not know what they define as professional (construction site foreman? y/n? Office secretary? y/n?)

Deductions for visa violations are 1 each. take away yet another point for any violations committed by a spouse or dependent. Take away yet another point if any mistake cost you 200 mil in fines. If you have more than 2 criminal violations on your own record you are not typically eligible.

• gaelsano
  • Waygookin

• August 11, 2011, 03:42:33 pm
    • Jeolla
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2015, 04:05:56 pm »
2015 dates. (all tests are at 12:30pm at designated local area. Ask your local immigarion office or look online when the date nears) all on saturdays

Pre-tests:
01-17
03-28
05-09
08-08
11-14

Mid-terms:
03-14
05-30
07-11
08-29
10-10
11-28

Finals:
04-18
07-28
10-31

Ignore the "rounds" (eg 1st round, 4th round). The 5th round pre-test is before the 5th round mid-term!

They all operate independently. Think of it as getting merit badges in scouts. You have to collect X badges (X hours of coursework and complete a test) to be eligible for promotion. Certain merit badges are only offered at certain times (eg when is the local police officer available to give free lessons on public safety) but you don't have to do the merit badge activity on basket=weaving on march to be eligible for the april promotion ceremony; just have it done at some point before April.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:09:48 pm by gaelsano »

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2015, 08:05:52 am »

Language and culture: TOPIK 6 (20p), TOPIK 6 and KIIP level 5 (30p), TOPIK 5 (18p), TOPIK 5 and KIIP level 5 (28p), TOPIK 4 or KIIP level 4  (16p), KIIP level 5 (26p), TOPIK 3 or KIIP level 3 (14p), TOPIK 2 or KIIP  level 2 (12p), TOPIK 1 or KIIP level 1 (10p)

Completing KIIP level 5 is a plus 10 upon your pre-existing Korean level (your pre-existing level being at least a 4 in the KIIP program and also a TOPIK 5 or 6).

Professional experience abroad, full-time, year-round: 3 yrs (5p), 2 yrs (3p), 1 yr (1p),
Substitute teaching, part-time year-round, or full-time seasonal work do not count. I do not know what they define as professional (construction site foreman? y/n? Office secretary? y/n?)

Deductions for visa violations are 1 each. take away yet another point for any violations committed by a spouse or dependent. Take away yet another point if any mistake cost you 200 mil in fines. If you have more than 2 criminal violations on your own record you are not typically eligible.

FYI. From first hand experience at the Daegu Immigration Office I can say that KIIP Level 4 is only worth 15 points (not 16 as specified in the April 2013 point document). There is an immigration internal document which says 15 points for KIIP 4, so they use that. TOPIK 4, however, is indeed 16.

Also, the professional work experience abroad must be related to the current work being done in Korea (this is mentioned in the Korean language of the document, but not mentioned in the English version). Be aware that this experience must be related, if you're trying to get those points.

• hibernia
  • Adventurer

• October 09, 2014, 05:27:01 pm
    • Dublin, Ireland
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2015, 06:33:32 pm »

If I remember correctly, when you apply for the online class, you have to give a reason, right?  Perhaps your reason was deemed "not worthy" for some reason?

Yeah my reason was because of my work schedule,  I literally can't do any of the other classes.  I guess maybe people applied with disabilities or small children or whatever so i got bumped.

sucks though

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2015, 08:31:29 pm »

Weird. I was able to get in an online class no problem, but I did sign up on the last day so maybe they would take anyone.

Anyway, so far I'm enjoying the online class. I thought I would dislike a videochatting classroom experience, but it's actually less intimidating to practice speaking. We also seem to get more done cause theres less distractions. 10 hours a week though   :lipsrsealed: hope I learn a lot.

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:28 pm »
For those who have gone through at least one level, what are the midterms and finals like?
Is it fill in the blanks? Essay? Speaking? Multiple choice? What content do they tend to focus on? I'd like to study with a miderm and final in mind.

there is no midterm

A level 2 writing a Korean essay... lol like a monkey on a typewriter

I'm in level 2 and the teacher said there is a midterm and a final. I'd like to know the specifics of the midterm and final from a student's point of view.

maybe you rubbed her the wrong way?

Hahaha, you think I somehow rubbed her the wrong way so much that she decided to write up a midterm and final for the whole class?

Just because the class changed so that now there's a midterm and final doesn't mean you're wrong. You don't have to somehow blame me for the midterm and final to make up for you giving the wrong information.

A lot of things have changed this year. We now have to pay 20,000W for the class, including the textbook.

If the midterm is new this year then why are you asking people for advice on it?

I didn't know that it MAY be a new this year until you said there's no midterm.

It's okay buddy, you don't have to deflect the situation... things changed, you didn't know and gave old information, it's cool. Hopefully you won't have a bad day over it and accuse people of angering their teachers enough for them to make a midterm and final for the entire class like you did me. And then trying to make me seem stupid with your latest post.... I mean... I was trying to make you feel better by saying you weren't technically wrong, you just gave old information. And then you couldn't even figure out that I didn't know that the tests were new until after you said you didn't have tests at level 2 and tried to make my question seem stupid.

I usually ignore your type of posts where the poster makes a little mistake and freaks out and tries to make the person who corrected them an idiot by all means necessary (for example, finding any typo, spelling/grammar mistake, etc.) to make themselves feel better.
But I found out this week that one of my students have leukemia and I'm pretty angry at the world right now. So I'm not my normally polite self lately and I'm not really taking any shit from anyone.

So how about we just move on and stop replying to each other, ok? Let's pretend I never asked a totally normal question and how you insulted me twice to make yourself feel better, ok?

Great. Have a good day.

I shouldn't have spoken in absolute terms. If I could go back, I would say "I recently finished a KIIP class with no midterm."

Based on the quantity and content of your questions, I stand by my statement that you may have rubbed your teacher the wrong way.

Great. Have a good day.