Read 196467 times

• SnackySnack
  • Veteran

• October 15, 2013, 07:46:34 am
    more
Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2015, 10:51:44 am »

I'm taking the in-person class.  Does it differ by level and/or location maybe?  I'm taking the level 4 class at the 역삼글로벌빌리지센터.  This is my first time registering for the class, too, so I'm kinda a noob at it.
[/quote]

Level 4! Respect due ~ praying to the Language gods that's me one day.
To answer your question...In my experience (in Daegu) I showed up the first day of class and was given the textbook. We also got handouts most classes. The class and book were free. You can double check with your local immigration office. My best guess is that the books are made available online in case we want to buy additional materials.
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2015, 02:48:37 pm »
I got put into level 4. Just on the edge of the cutoff - I'm guessing the reading section pulled me up.

So do we need to buy the books or are they free?

I heard last time from one guy who did the online class that he got a phone call and they asked him where to deliver it.. We should get the book before we go to the first class?

P.s. I'm doing weekend classes at 숭실대학교 (pretty sure it's that one..)

I'm finishing the online class this week.

The books were delivered to me and my classmates the second week. They were free.

• andymc88
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2014, 03:02:15 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »
I got put into level 4. Just on the edge of the cutoff - I'm guessing the reading section pulled me up.

So do we need to buy the books or are they free?

I heard last time from one guy who did the online class that he got a phone call and they asked him where to deliver it.. We should get the book before we go to the first class?

P.s. I'm doing weekend classes at 숭실대학교 (pretty sure it's that one..)

I'm finishing the online class this week.

The books were delivered to me and my classmates the second week. They were free.

Thanks for letting me know!
So I assume the books for the in-person classes are also free and will be given during the first class?

Cheers
www.andysteachingstrategies.com - look here for refreshing teaching strategies and reflective practice.

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2015, 03:35:14 pm »

How do you know you were on the edge of the cutoff? Do you know how much the speaking is worth?

How many points do you need to get to level 2, 3, 4 and so on?

사회통합프로그램 > 과정 및 이수시간 tells you how many points you need to score to get into each level. 

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2015, 05:44:01 pm »
Okay, folks, after massive frustration trying to find a job that did want E-2s (and wasn't a crap job), I've decided to go after my F2-7. I've read this entire thread and I can see at one time there was an US flag that you could click on to change to English. Apparently this option is gone. So two questions that I am still not clear on. 1) Do I need to go through the social integration program to get credit for the visa or just the language program? 1a) if I go through the social integration program will I get more points? 2) What do I click to register for the level test? I'm sorry if it's on here and I didn't see it.

Is the site not mac friendly, even just to view things?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:46:20 pm by travelinpantsgirl »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »
Okay, folks, after massive frustration trying to find a job that did want E-2s (and wasn't a crap job), I've decided to go after my F2-7. I've read this entire thread and I can see at one time there was an US flag that you could click on to change to English. Apparently this option is gone. So two questions that I am still not clear on. 1) Do I need to go through the social integration program to get credit for the visa or just the language program? 1a) if I go through the social integration program will I get more points? 2) What do I click to register for the level test? I'm sorry if it's on here and I didn't see it.

Is the site not mac friendly, even just to view things?

The social integration program and the language program are one in the same, I do believe.  If you complete it (through level 5), you get 10 extra points on the F-2 application.  Also, completing through level 4 of the program is equivalent to a 4 on the TOPIK, but you only get 16 points for that, you get 10 extra points if you take the level 5 class and finish the whole program.  Level 5 in the program doesn't get you any language points, though.  After level 4, you need a TOPIK score. 

As for registration, I don't know when it opens and closes but if you go to 사회통합프로그램 > 사회프로그램 신청 it should let you register.  Registration is closed now (at least when I click on it), but I think it opens up toward the end of the next semester. 

In regards to your Mac compatibility, that might be the case.  I'm using IE on a Windows PC and I have the American flag that I can click to switch over to English. 

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2015, 06:35:37 pm »
Thanks, rhchris.

Does anyone know when the next test is? I see they had one last year in March, thought they may have one again then this year. I want to register for it now.

And yup, I opened the site on Firefox, still no flag and when I go to the place you mentioned rhchris, it gives me a no no msg.

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:10 pm »
Thanks, rhchris.

And yup, I opened the site on Firefox, still no flag and when I go to the place you mentioned rhchris, it gives me a no no msg.

just did it with Firefox

Login --> click Site Map on top right --> click My Page on the right hand side --> the flags will appear

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2015, 09:27:37 pm »

The social integration program and the language program are one in the same, I do believe.  If you complete it (through level 5), you get 10 extra points on the F-2 application.  Also, completing through level 4 of the program is equivalent to a 4 on the TOPIK, but you only get 16 points for that, you get 10 extra points if you take the level 5 class and finish the whole program.  Level 5 in the program doesn't get you any language points, though.  After level 4, you need a TOPIK score. 

I'm a bit confused by the last sentence. Why do you need a TOPIK score if you get 16 points for completing level 4 and 10 extra points (26 total) for completing the social integration program entirely?

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2015, 09:38:50 pm »

I'm a bit confused by the last sentence. Why do you need a TOPIK score if you get 16 points for completing level 4 and 10 extra points (26 total) for completing the social integration program entirely?

The classes are good for up to level 4, but the TOPIK goes up to level 6, which is worth 20 points on the visa application.  You can get 16 points for level 4, but level 5 and 6 (only achievable via the TOPIK) are 18 and 20 points, respectively.  4 points aren't really that big of a difference, but it could help if you're on the border of the (at least) 80 points you need for the visa.  For example, if you complete the classes (through the the fifth stage) and stop there, you can get a combined 26 points (10 for finishing and 16 for level 4), but if you complete the classes, study more, and achieve level 6 on the TOPIK, you can get a combined 30 points. 

« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:45 pm »

The classes are good for up to level 4, but the TOPIK goes up to level 6, which is worth 20 points on the visa application.  You can get 16 points for level 4, but level 5 and 6 (only achievable via the TOPIK) are 18 and 20 points, respectively.  4 points aren't really that big of a difference, but it could help if you're on the border of the (at least) 80 points you need for the visa.  For example, if you complete the classes (through the the fifth stage) and stop there, you can get a combined 26 points (10 for finishing and 16 for level 4), but if you complete the classes, study more, and achieve level 6 on the TOPIK, you can get a combined 30 points.

I see now. Thanks for clearing that up.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2015, 10:33:26 pm »
Nope. Must be a Mac problem. I'll try it out on my work PC.

Anyone know when the next test is?

Thanks, rhchris.

just did it with Firefox

Login --> click Site Map on top right --> click My Page on the right hand side --> the flags will appear

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2015, 11:18:44 pm »
I've read this entire thread and I can see at one time there was an US flag that you could click on to change to English. Apparently this option is gone.

gotta love it, right? the first part of the program is to teach you korean. but you need to know korean in order to navigate the website to register for the program that teaches you korean.

korean 'logic' at its finest.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2015, 11:39:02 pm »
Lol@johnnyrussian

Or at least make it as hard as possible to navigate.
And c'mon logic? Just hang that some where else. There's no place for that here...lol

• rowdes
  • Veteran

• June 23, 2010, 02:37:28 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2015, 09:25:17 am »
I tried signing up for this, but I keep getting rejected. Is it because the registration period is over? Anyone know when the next period will begin?

Thanks!

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2015, 09:47:42 am »
I tried signing up for this, but I keep getting rejected. Is it because the registration period is over? Anyone know when the next period will begin?

Thanks!

26th of January I believe.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:57 am »
Which was 3 days ago. How about the next session? I assuming the next test sign up would begin at least two weeks before the next session? I'd love to sign up for that test.

Thanks!

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2015, 10:49:17 am »
Which was 3 days ago. How about the next session? I assuming the next test sign up would begin at least two weeks before the next session? I'd love to sign up for that test.

Thanks!

Yeah that's strange. The document said the 26th of Jan until the 20th of March for signing up for the next round of classes. Maybe they are just delayed? There's still plenty of time for the registration, according to the document so maybe just try again in a bit.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• andymc88
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2014, 03:02:15 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:48 am »

So... for F2-7 visa application, finishing level 4 of KIIP is just 16 points (as in same as TOPIK level 4) and if you finish level 5 of KIIP you get an extra 10 points?

I read on the points for F2-7 visa, and it just says "participating in KIIP - 10 points"; so participating doesn't just mean doing one class at say level 1/2/3/.
Instead, in order to get the 10 points you need to finish level 5 of KIIP?

Like this?
There are 5 levels. Completing levels 1-4 will give you 16 points towards and F2-7 residence visa. Level 5 ( Understanding Korean society will give you 10 points.)
Completing the whole course gives you  a total of 26 points
www.andysteachingstrategies.com - look here for refreshing teaching strategies and reflective practice.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2015, 10:55:26 am »
Yeah, I can't do anything on the site. I used my work PC both Chrome (which thankfully translates upon request) and explorer and in both cases I cannot turn the site into English (as others have mentioned they could) and even when I choose the right links to sign up for the test it won't let me. Does anyone have a good number to call about enquiring about the tests? I think I am level 2 so I'd rather not just start at 0 because I can't find a way to sign up for the test, as that seems stupid.

Thanks!

Yeah that's strange. The document said the 26th of Jan until the 20th of March for signing up for the next round of classes. Maybe they are just delayed? There's still plenty of time for the registration, according to the document so maybe just try again in a bit.