Read 195979 times

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
I'm curious to hear anyone who has taken part in this programme? Information in English is a little hard to find and nothing came up when I searched it on this website.

It seems pretty intensive and a little strict in terms of the level of commitment, which is giving me a few reservations. Do they really kick you out if you don't show up enough? What are the levels like/ how do they relate to the TOPIK levels? Was the course useful?

Re: KIIP Korean Immigration Integration Programme (사회통합프로그램)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:35:52 pm »
l'd like to know as well.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »
I can share some insight here as I'm going through the program now.

The website www.socinet.go.kr  is where you register for the 평가 (placement) test. Take that, and you will be placed into one of 4 language levels. The fifth level is called Understanding Korean Society and discusses everything from culture, society, politics, economics, geography, etc.

Levels 1-4 are 100 hours of class time each. Level 5 is 50 hours.

I tested into Level 4 which I completed this year (passed with test at the end, similar to TOPIK, but shorter and easier in my opinion). I'm currently doing the Level 5 classes (just completed 20 hours this past weekend).

Classes are offered at local universities and usually consist of mostly SE asian wives and a few local businessmen and women.

And then, upon completion of the class, an assessment can be made at the immigration office to add up your points and see if you qualify for the F-level visa upgrade. I hope to have this entire process complete in the next two months.

Hope this helps.

• Tony Blair
  • Waygookin

• September 29, 2014, 01:40:08 pm
    • Number 10
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »
I did the first two levels of this.

They really are strict about the time. My sessions were 2-3 hours each, so you miss one session and the alarm bells start ringing and you're in danger of flunking.

It was delivered completely in Korean. So don't expect anyone to explain what's going on. The text books aren't structured great, so if the teacher isn't great you're a little bit screwed. I had some good and bad teachers in that time. All PHd students, with various degrees of motivation.

Learned a lot, but it's intense.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »
I meant to say that the strictness depends completely on your teacher. My Level 4 teacher was super relaxed and would get off topic or extend break times, etc. which made for a very relaxed class.

My Level 5 teacher is more by-the-book regarding time management, but not strict if you come to class 10 minutes late.

Both classes required 80% attendance to pass, so you can miss a few and still be all right.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:58:26 pm »
I took the program and if your attendance is less than 80%, you fail.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:01:51 pm »
What are the  benefits of the program besides the residency factor?

• Tony Blair
  • Waygookin

• September 29, 2014, 01:40:08 pm
    • Number 10
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:09:24 pm »
Learning in Korean, with a non English speaking teacher, with (sometimes) non English speaking class mates creates an immersion I guess.

Also, you get points towards citizenship and future visas (if that's your goal).

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:23 pm »
I would be wanting to use it mainly for learning Korean language - did you find it useful for that?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »
I am taking their language programs, but not registered for the KIIP program.

IMHO the classes are great. I am only Level I but the teacher is awesome and it is great to practice with people who are learning together.

I highly recommend the language programs.

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »
The topics in the course are kind of interesting.

I've just completed Stage 3, and am currently doing Stage 4. I study online, for 2 hours every weekday in the evening. I am in an 8 to 10pm class, with only 8 other students and the teacher.

The topics we looked at in stage 3 included finances, travel, health, personalities, relationships and more.

In Stage 4, so far, we have looked at dramas and movies, lifestyle and internet, marriage and a couple of other topics.

The classes are in Korean only, and you learn grammar and vocab in Korean. It can be useful to do so, if you've got the Korean to follow it.

When you sit the exam, if you score less than 15 on the test, I believe you start in a 'beginners' class, where you learn the basics of Korean, reading, writing, and all that good stuff. Then you move up. If you test well on the exam, you're put into a level that is appropriate for you.

The placement test itself is a 50minute test with 50 questions of reading and writing, followed by a group speaking test, where you are with 4 others in an interview situation, you read a passage, and answer questions related to the passage and then general questions over a period of approximately 10 to 15 minutes. That's it. You find out your level a week or so later.

The next classes wont commence until March next year, so if you're interested in taking them, you can register for the course at www.socinet.go.kr (there is English available by clicking on the US flag) and following through. You will have to check back at the site to find out when your exam will be, and where, and what you'll need to take with you to the exam room. Don't stress too much about the placement exam, and try not to guess too many questions. The more you guess, the higher chance you have of being put in a class too difficult for you.

Once you finish your stage class, you will have another exam that you sit, and you must score more than 60% to pass the stage. If you don't pass the stage, you may re-take the class. If you do pass the stage, you move on to the next one.

In most cities, the classes are available during the week, during the daytime (not so good for public school teachers), and on weekends. Some classes are split 5-9pm on Saturday and Sunday nights, others are a solid 9-10 hour day every Sunday from 10am to 7 or 8pm.

As others have said above, you must attend 80% minimum to pass the stage. If your attendance is too low, you will be asked to withdraw and reapply for the same stage in the next round of classes. The teachers aren't going to force you to attend classes, but will let you know if your attendance is getting low.

You will learn a LOT of Korean in these classes. I've learned a lot, for sure. I'm using this program for that reason personally, and still study with a tutor on a Saturday as well. Sometimes it's nice to be able to ask someone for a bit of help on the weekend when you are tackling homework, or if you didn't understand a certain structure.

I hope this helps anyone interested in joining. Feel free to ask questions.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 06:24:00 pm »
There was a fifth round for the course this year. I was about to sign up for it, but realized that it would likely have the final exam around end Jan/early Feb, when I will be having my vacation (already booked and paid).
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 09:29:08 pm »
lauren...sign up now. Do the course now. As long as you attend 80% of the classes then you can wait as many months as you like to do the final test. You don't have to do the final test immediately after you finish your course. I know people that postponed the final test for similar reasons as yourself. 

• furtakk
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 08:42:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
I finished level 5 last May and finally switched over to the F2 this past summer.

Main benefits:
-ability to get an F-visa (for unmarried students).
-free Korean classes

I found the courses and teachers to be on par with the university programs (I studied at Sogang). But with all things, it depends on the teacher. I had already finished the university program so for me, taking the classes was all about getting points for my visa, and less about the actual lessons.

If you plan on staying in Korea for a few years, I would highly recommend it. Not having to worry about your visa, and the freedom to do whatever you want has been a huge weight off of my shoulders.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 11:22:04 pm »
There are 5 levels. Completing levels 1-4 will give you 16 points towards and F2-7 residence visa. Level 5 ( Understanding Korean society will give you 10 points.)
Completing the whole course gives you  a total of 26 points

This guy breaks it down

http://www.electrow.com/visa-1/

Levels 1-4 are 100 hours each. Level 5 is 50 hours. The classes depend on which immigration district you reside in.  So if you work in Seoul, but live in Incheon, you take the classes in Incheon. 

The classes are free, but you most likely have to give up your weekends.
Since a majority of the students are Southeast Asian immigrant wives, many of the classes are during the weekdays in the afternoon when you most likely are working.  Therefore you have to take the classes on the weekends, and since there is a limited amount of time to complete the courses, your class will most likely be 9 hours a day on Saturday or Sunday. These were my only choices.

The lessons  are okay, but I find that the teachers are just trying to get through the material.

I am doing this for the F2-7 points visa. In my opinion it’s worth it.

I tested into level 4, and then passed the level 4 test.
I failed the first level 5 test by one point, and am taking the class again.
In my current level 5 class 10 of the 13 students are taking the class for a second or third time.

In level 4 if you fail the test, you have to take the class again, but only once.

If you fail the level 5 test twice, you have to take the class for a third time. However, the third time you do not have to take the test. You only have to attend 80 percent of the classes, and you will complete the entire course.

Its 80 percent of the class you must attend. Otherwise you get kicked out until the next set of classes start.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:23:42 pm by ksurfer »

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 07:37:10 am »
There are 5 levels. Completing levels 1-4 will give you 16 points towards and F2-7 residence visa. Level 5 ( Understanding Korean society will give you 10 points.)

This guy breaks it down

This is very informative. I was wondering what other requirements need to be met before it's worth attempting to apply for the F2 visa. Just curious - does anyone know if the professional experience discussed is related to the field relevant to your degree? Or what constitutes 'professional'  experience? It seems pretty vague in the blog - almost like having any job for more than a year gets you some points.

• rowdes
  • Veteran

• June 23, 2010, 02:37:28 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 07:39:40 am »
I'm really interested in taking this program. Does anyone know if there is a KIIP center in Daegu?

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 07:45:03 am »
P.S. Thanks for all the information guys, it's great to hear peoples experience and what they enjoyed and didn't enjoy about the programme.

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:55 am »
I'm really interested in taking this program. Does anyone know if there is a KIIP center in Daegu?

I'm taking the program in Daegu. There's no "center". It's all done by the immigration office. Classes are held at local universities. Currently, Level 5 is being done at Yeongnam and Keimyung on weekends. Also Gumi Uni and Daegu Uni have classes too at times. First, take the placement test as your first step then you will have access to the class schedules after that.

This guy breaks it down

This is very informative. I was wondering what other requirements need to be met before it's worth attempting to apply for the F2 visa. Just curious - does anyone know if the professional experience discussed is related to the field relevant to your degree? Or what constitutes 'professional'  experience? It seems pretty vague in the blog - almost like having any job for more than a year gets you some points.

I'm curious about this as well. I worked for 6 years as a security manager at home before coming to Korea so I'm hoping that will suffice for 5 points for "professional" experience. If anyone else has claimed these points, please share the requirements immigration required in the documentation. Thanks.

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 10:36:32 am »
Is anyone else having difficulty signing up to the website? I keep getting an error message saying that my ID number and name don't match. I've already experienced some minor confusion in Korea because I have two middle names. I've written my name in as many formats as I can think of  :sad: