Read 4626 times

• icndream
  • Waygookin

• July 11, 2014, 02:27:34 pm
    • 대한민국
Korean man handcuffed over bomb scare in Australia
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:06:19 pm »

A South Korean man sparked a bomb scare in Brisbane’s CBD on Wednesday. The tourist left his bag in a bank foyer across from the Supreme and Magistrate courts complex and left the premises.

Upon returning to collect his luggage he was met by several armed police guards who handcuffed him.

A section of the CBD was evacuated and traffic diverted away from the area.

http://www.koreaobserver.com/korean-man-handcuffed-over-bomb-scare-in-australia-23836/

Re: Korean man handcuffed over bomb scare in Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:52:10 pm »
He deserves to be locked away for that ridiculous cap on his head.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:20:47 pm »
Yeah, he looks like a dolt. But now, Australia can start demanding Koreans take HIV tests as well as having a background check done before setting foot in that country. Tit for tat.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 05:22:51 am »
And while they demand HIV tests, they should also by default assume that Koreans are potential terrorists until they prove otherwise. Because one Korean may or may not have be terrorist-y that one time.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:48:53 am »
Yeah, he looks like a dolt. But now, Australia can start demanding Koreans take HIV tests as well as having a background check done before setting foot in that country. Tit for tat.

Don't Korean women had a bad "reputation" for being hookers in Australia? Maybe they should make them take a lie detector as well as an HIV test to ensure they aren't going to engage in an line of employment unless its in Sydney where they can legally do that.

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 07:22:41 am »
Australia is going through some crazy shit right now and has been put on a high terrorist threat alert. They're dawn raiding all of these houses and have recently shot a 19 year old boy they believe was a terrorist that had ties to ISIS (I'm not too sure if this has been confirmed or not, I think he was just writing shit all over his facebook).

I can totally understand why/ how a Korean would do this because it's such common place to leave your things anywhere and expect them to be there when you come back. In the context of Australia though, now is a really stupid time to leave your bags anywhere alone.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:50:57 am »
Guess it was a bomb "fluke"  :undecided:
“Mediocrity's like a spot on a shirt—it never comes off.”

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 07:52:33 am »
:rolleyes:

Things like this happen when you don't do enough research on the country you're planning on visiting. Small cultural differences like leaving a bible on your hotel bed can wind you up in jail in Korea, while leaving your luggage unattended in a public building can will do the same in many Western countries (and even if the police don't seize it, some thieving bogun will).

• climber
  • Super Waygook

• January 02, 2011, 06:52:36 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 07:56:50 am »

Don't Korean women had a bad "reputation" for being hookers in Australia? Maybe they should make them take a lie detector as well as an HIV test to ensure they aren't going to engage in an line of employment unless its in Sydney where they can legally do that.

When I visited Australia with my ex she was detained and questioned for 30 minutes. They wanted to know where she was staying, how long she will be here, what she did back home, and many other lines of inquiry. I suspect it is because they are known for going there to become prostitutes.

• lee233
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 09:53:46 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 07:59:28 am »
Australia is going through some crazy shit right now and has been put on a high terrorist threat alert. They're dawn raiding all of these houses and have recently shot a 19 year old boy they believe was a terrorist that had ties to ISIS (I'm not too sure if this has been confirmed or not, I think he was just writing shit all over his facebook).

I can totally understand why/ how a Korean would do this because it's such common place to leave your things anywhere and expect them to be there when you come back. In the context of Australia though, now is a really stupid time to leave your bags anywhere alone.

To be fair, the 19 year was shot after he waited outside a police station and stabbed two officers multiple times before they shot him. It appears he at the very least wanted to have ties to some sort of extremist group, but there have not been any reports yet of him having actual ties.

Totally agree on the rest of your post, it's never a good idea to leave your bags in public places without explanation. Well, lesson learned I guess.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/24/world/asia/australia-terror-shooting-laws/index.html?hpt=ias_c2
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

• BloosCorn
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2012, 08:04:13 am
    • Yecheon, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 08:23:52 am »
Ahahaha this is a fun little incidence of culture shock. A man traveling alone wants to step out or a smoke? In Korea, no problem, just do it. A Western country? Handcuffs.

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 08:56:39 am »

First time I've heard of that (I'm Australian).

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:03 am »

When I visited Australia with my ex she was detained and questioned for 30 minutes. They wanted to know where she was staying, how long she will be here, what she did back home, and many other lines of inquiry. I suspect it is because they are known for going there to become prostitutes.

Like philby1985 I'm Australian and I've never heard of Koreans being known for prostitution. Mind you, it's not my area of expertise either.

But more importantly I must ask about your ex being questioned...   As I find it pretty surprising. She was Korean I'm assuming, but where are you from?  I would appreciate some details on this happening (even via PM if preferred).  I'm planning on visiting Australia with my Korean gf and maybe should consider warning her this might happen?

Apologies for the tangent from the subject of the thread.  Yes, leave any belongings unattended in Australia and you'll have the police/bomb squad/thief there in no time.  It's a cultural thing, and probably worth bringing up to your students if you need to fill some time in class. It has nothing at all to do with the fact he is Korean, just that he was either unaware or an idiot

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 09:22:50 am »

First time I've heard of that (I'm Australian).

Koreatimes has some articles on it here

and here

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 09:23:54 am »

And the ripped jeans. Let's hope this is a temporary fad in Korea.

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:50 am »
Koreatimes has some articles on it here

and here
Thanks. As I said, it is the first time I've heard of it. It's not a big news story in Australia. My government needs to take a serous look at the working holiday visa program. Employers already take advantage of workers, this is just one more problem.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:07 am »

And the ripped jeans. Let's hope this is a temporary fad in Korea.

damn, I remember when they were fashionable the first time...

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
Like philby1985 I'm Australian and I've never heard of Koreans being known for prostitution. Mind you, it's not my area of expertise either.

It's seemingly a very regionalised issue. It hit public spotlight again last year after pressure was put on the Australian government to do so following a high profile case of forced sexual slavery. Note that this was not the first case and the police had been targeting this issue long prior to the latest fiasco. I mean, there was a joint inquiry 2004, another public case in 2008, and the issue regularly crops up in human rights reports. Anyhow, the police commissioner made a rather lengthy public televised statement on the whole situation last year after the Korean embassy aimed (excessive) criticism at them for inaction. If you don't watch the news on ABC or SBS or follow any global human rights groups it very likely would have flown over your radar.

I'll second Philby's suggestion that the Working Holiday Visa scheme needs to be reviewed too as this is far from the only type of exploitation going around.

As for the bomb scare, his nationality was irrelevant. This is more a condemnation of just how paranoid Australia has become.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:42:42 am by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• James89
  • Veteran

• February 04, 2013, 05:14:23 pm
    • SoKo
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »
Interesting links. I've never heard about Koreans coming to Australia to work in the sex industry either. What's the big problem though? If prostitution is legal in Australia, then aren't they free to come and work as prostitutes here during their stay on a working holiday visa?