Read 1215 times

• JLCutler
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2011, 02:50:38 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
Inspiration from Stephen King
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:08:36 am »
This makes me wish I could teach writing.  At my all-but-in-name- technical high school ("arts school"), I haven't much choice than to be King's despised "onstage teacher".

I found this interview to be quite inspirational because his struggles with his students mirror mine and probably yours.

http://m.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/09/how-stephen-king-teaches-writing/379870/?single_page=true
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:11:16 am by JLCutler »

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
Re: Inspiration from Stephen King
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:32:55 am »
This makes me wish I could teach writing.  At my all-but-in-name- technical high school ("arts school"), I haven't much choice than to be King's despised "onstage teacher".

I found this interview to be quite inspirational because his struggles with his students mirror mine and probably yours.

http://m.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/09/how-stephen-king-teaches-writing/379870/?single_page=true

I wonder if any high schools use his "On Writing" book?  I loved it, although I read it after I finished by schooling.   

• JLCutler
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2011, 02:50:38 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:03 am »
Many universities use it for sure.  I bet the stories of his drug use keep the book out of many high schools despite the incredibly useful tips and suggestions contained in the second half of the book.

On Writing inspired me to begin writing again.  Then I discovered (or maybe just opened my eyes to the fact) that theatre is well and truly dead, or at least the theatre I always wrote/wanted to write for is.  I've been working on prose lately for the very first time.  Maybe I need to re-read On Writing....

• Emer
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2012, 12:47:09 pm
    • Gangwon-do, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:57:48 am »
On Writing is fantastic. I love how it's written. For me, Stephen King's style is perfect. It's engrossing yet reading each sentence feels effortless. Before you know it you're halfway through a book and your coffee is cold. It was his birthday (and mine) yesterday! After Sunset is also a great read.