Read 3752 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Man gets suspended sentence for assaulting air stewardess
« on: September 18, 2014, 07:59:20 am »
Love the part about sentences getting tougher.... suspended sentence, tougher?  :undecided:

The Daejeon District Court on Wednesday sentenced a man in his 50s to one year in jail, suspended for three years, for assaulting a female flight attendant on board a flight from Incheon to Australia last March.

The man was found to have hit the attendant on the face and chest after being asked to sit down. He had been lying asleep in the aisle. He also verbally abused the flight attendant and refused to follow her instructions.

Police and the aviation industry have continued to express concerns over the surging number of in-flight incidents, but few offenders have faced charges.

But criminal punishments of air passengers who assault or sexually harass female attendants have gotten tougher. Courts mostly imposed fines in the past.

Korean Air has also pledged to take stern disciplinary action against offending passengers. The flag carrier said it had notified police of 18 cases of violence committed by passengers over the first seven months of this year.

The change in approach came after an executive of a unit of POSCO assaulted a flight attendant during a Korean Air flight from Incheon to Los Angeles in 2013. He hit the stewardess’ face with a magazine because he was unhappy with the way the instant noodles she served him were cooked.

The executive was denied entry to the U.S. on an assault charge and forced to return to Seoul.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Man gets suspended sentence for assaulting air stewardess
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:10:09 am »
He was only hitting her affectionately, like he would with his daughter/granddaughter.

Oh...and he was drunk....please understand his situation.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:13:45 am »
I hope the airline barred him from taking any future flights with them.
Good luck getting back to Korea, "mate".
:laugh:

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:34:59 am »
Some guy got banned from an airline for life in the UK because he opened a bag of peanuts when asked not to.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 10:20:39 am »
Too bad that his ass couldn't have been tried in Australia...

• lee233
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 09:53:46 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:25:47 am »

Amen. I used to think the US had a bad problem with the "boys will be boys" mentality, but here it can be quite ridiculous.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:07:44 am »

Amen. I used to think the US had a bad problem with the "boys will be boys" mentality, but here it can be quite ridiculous.

Wonder what would have happened if it was a lady passenger that hit a male flight attendant?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2014, 06:34:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:15:04 am »
Some guy got banned from an airline for life in the UK because he opened a bag of peanuts when asked not to.

This I can understand. There was a recent case when a girl went into anaphylaxsis on a plane due to a severe nut allergy. Passengers were informed of her condition and asked to refrain from eating nuts on the flight. A women a few rows away disregarded this and started munching on peanuts. The girl started to have a severe reaction just a few minutes later. She would have died in the air had another passenger not been carrying an epi-pen.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:34:43 am »

This I can understand. There was a recent case when a girl went into anaphylaxsis on a plane due to a severe nut allergy. Passengers were informed of her condition and asked to refrain from eating nuts on the flight. A women a few rows away disregarded this and started munching on peanuts. The girl started to have a severe reaction just a few minutes later. She would have died in the air had another passenger not been carrying an epi-pen.

Wow I didn't even know that was possible is it because of the re circulation of the air? I have never been asked to refrain from eating peanuts but this example would make me think twice about disregarding it.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:05 am »
That would've only happened if he were found guilty of some other crime first because... well,you know...

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:51 pm »
Don't fly any of the Chinese airlines then. One flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong had a nice complementary bag of peanuts as your snack.

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2014, 06:34:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 02:31:40 pm »

Wow I didn't even know that was possible is it because of the re circulation of the air? I have never been asked to refrain from eating peanuts but this example would make me think twice about disregarding it.

It is possible, yes. However, people with this severe of an allergy are extremely rare and will notify an airline of their condition far in advance of their flight so the necessary precautions can be taken. Unless you're on a flight where they specifically say to not open or consume any nuts on board, you wouldn't have to worry.

• Mashley30
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2011, 11:47:35 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »

good, entitled people need to be called out

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 03:06:04 pm »
Oh...and he was drunk....please understand his situation.

Dammit you beat me to this comment, I think the best part for me that he was passed out in the aisle, classic ajossi style.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 03:40:41 pm »
I know for sure that the man charged in this incident is a Korean man.
Why would I say that? It's not because I want to be racist, no! It's because there are
too many Korean men who love to get drunk, and when they get drunk, they will engage into all sorts of nasty behaviour. That plus their missagony regarding the way they treat women. I think it is time for Korea to put an end to this practice of not making people loose face. And Koren man who commits a crime or engages into any unscrupulous activity must loose face and take responsibility for their wrongdoings.

BTW, I am glad that the executive from POSCO was denied entry into the USA for assulting a Koreanair flight attendant.

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 08:32:30 pm »

That would've only happened if he were found guilty of some other crime first because... well,you know...

[/quote]

That made my night

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:47:16 am »
That plus their missagony
I don't know if it was intentional, but this is my favorite misspelling in a long time.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 08:16:38 am »
Why would I say that? It's not because I want to be racist, no! It's because there are
too many Korean men who love to get drunk, and when they get drunk, they will engage into all sorts of nasty behaviour. That plus their missagony regarding the way they treat women. I think it is time for Korea to put an end to this practice of not making people loose face. And Koren man who commits a crime or engages into any unscrupulous activity must loose face and take responsibility for their wrongdoings.

BTW, I am glad that the executive from POSCO was denied entry into the USA for assulting a Koreanair flight attendant.

Identifying a man's nationality in an international incident is not racist but when you instantly talk about race and not being a racist you have turned what is a non factor into one.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 08:58:40 am »

Identifying a man's nationality in an international incident is not racist but when you instantly talk about race and not being a racist you have turned what is a non factor into one.

He was talking about starting a race war the other week.  I suspect he is a few magic stones short of a cult if you catch my drift.

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 08:59:28 am »
It was a Korean man.  If this was a foreigner on a Korean Air flight, the whole country would have been in an uproar talking about those mean foreigners and it would have been a tougher prison sentence.

I feel sorry for Korean Air now.  No one wants to work for them (because of this) and no one wants to fly with them because of the incident from last year.  They really need to work on their PR.

One more thing, am I the only one that wishes they would stop serving alcohol on flights offering only water, juice, and coffee?  I think this might bring down the incidents of abuse and sexual harassment (though I know people will disagree.)