Read 2893 times

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

• March 29, 2014, 07:58:25 am
    • WI, USA (Hopefully Jinju soon)
SWIFT Codes
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:43:12 am »
Hello.  I did a site and google search and found several posts explaining that you would need a swift code to set up online/overseas/whatever remittance, but i couldnt find much more.  I did as another post suggested and googled my bank name, and i did find some codes.  But there are multiple branches. 

So question, which swift code do i use?  I bank with J.P. morgan/chase in the US and online i found a bunch of codes, but for New York.  Im from Wisconsin.  So does it not matter because all the banks are connected, or am i supposed to find the specific number of the branch where i opened the account?

Again, i did look around and couldnt find how to actually pick the right swift code.  Ive got my routing and account number set to go.  Any help would be appreciated as i was hoping to get it set up this afternoon. 

Re: SWIFT Codes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:08:41 am »
As far as I know, a SWIFT code is one code that all branches of your bank uses to process international remittance. A branch code is dependent on the branch that you use.

So in South Africa Absa Bank's SWIFT code is: ABSAZAJJ while there are other codes for the branch that you bank in.

So, basically it does not matter if the code is based in a city other than the one that you live in. As long as you search 'bank nameSWIFT code, you should be good to go. Otherwise go on the bank's website, it should have a list of the codes somewhere, or the contact details for someone who can tell you this information.

• gonzouk
  • Adventurer

• September 16, 2012, 01:55:06 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:52 am »
I got my SWIFT code by contacting my bank. I suggest emailing them with the address of where you set up your account and well, you should get a swift reply!  :laugh:

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:52 am »
OOOOOOOOOk, so a branch refers to the country it is in.  So if chase bank is only in the us then there is only one branch code.  Thanks man!

Ill try emailing.  From what i read on their site it is just one short code that you add XXX to. 

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:22 pm »
'branch' refers to where a particular bank is, not the country. To use KEB as an example, there are many different branches here in South Korea. There's the Togyeoro branch, the Daerim Station branch, the Gimpo branch, etc. There are is also the Seongseo branch in Daegu, and so on.

so for JPMorgan Chase there will be many different branch codes, depending not only on which state the particular bank is, but also each city within each state, and also which area within that city. For example, within Manhatten alone there is the 59 W 86th St branch, the 153-15 Cross Island branch, the Flushing Main Street branch, etc.

each of those branches will have slightly different swift codes. The overall swift code for JPMorgan Chase is CHASUS33. their are usually 3 digits after that, which indicate the specific branch, i.e., the exact location within the US.

it seems like the one you might need is CHASUS33FXR. that's the swift code for their Foreign Exchange Department.

BUT, you should email your specific branch where you first opened up your account to find out what their swift code is, and if you need to specify that or the swift code for the foreign exchange department. only they can tell you that.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:47:09 pm »
Hello.  I did a site and google search and found several posts explaining that you would need a swift code to set up online/overseas/whatever remittance, but i couldnt find much more.  I did as another post suggested and googled my bank name, and i did find some codes.  But there are multiple branches. 

So question, which swift code do i use?  I bank with J.P. morgan/chase in the US and online i found a bunch of codes, but for New York.  Im from Wisconsin.  So does it not matter because all the banks are connected, or am i supposed to find the specific number of the branch where i opened the account?

Again, i did look around and couldnt find how to actually pick the right swift code.  Ive got my routing and account number set to go.  Any help would be appreciated as i was hoping to get it set up this afternoon.

Check your bank website or better yet give them a call and ask them.  I asked my bank before I came over here and set it up to online banking.  I'm suprised you didn't take care of this before you left. 

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:48:09 am »
Thanks for the help!  I sent off an email and will hopefully get a solid answer!. 

Check your bank website or better yet give them a call and ask them.  I asked my bank before I came over here and set it up to online banking.  I'm suprised you didn't take care of this before you left. 

Uh . . . sorry to surprise you? 

• antmar
  • Veteran

• January 13, 2016, 07:03:08 am
    • Pyeongtaek, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 10:25:26 am »
Has anyone tried using this exchange swift code recently? Particullarly anyone with a chase account back home. Did this swift code work for you?

CHASUS33FXR (Chase Bank)

I am planning on setting up my EAZY ONE bank account with KEB today. I already have a regular banking account with them. I just want to be able to send money back home much easier.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 10:46:27 am »
You can't just guess the SWIFT code, or try one and hope it's right.  You should ask your bank back home for the details you need to send money there from overseas, or try to find the information on their website.

Maybe this will help:
http://www.bank-codes.com/jpmorgan-chase-bank-n-a-swift-code-CHASUS33XXX-bic-code

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:52:40 am »
Best bet:. Call someone at your branch back home and ask the what you need.

Swift codes get you to the right bank, but internally, they are all different.

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 12:18:49 pm »
Has anyone tried using this exchange swift code recently? Particullarly anyone with a chase account back home. Did this swift code work for you?

CHASUS33FXR (Chase Bank)

I am planning on setting up my EAZY ONE bank account with KEB today. I already have a regular banking account with them. I just want to be able to send money back home much easier.

Call your bank and ask them which one you use and what address if any you may or may not need for remittance?  (Usually your home address back home, parents, uncle, whomever you are using as your bank address.)

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 04:40:06 am »
You can't just guess the SWIFT code, or try one and hope it's right. 
Maybe this will help:

https://swiftcodeweb.com/chase-swift-code-chase-bank-swift-code-html/

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 09:03:32 am »

Calling your bank for specific instructions would be best.  You may also need a local branch number too plus your bank account number.  JP may hold it up on their end if they don't have all the data.  Best to call them and ask what they need or want rather than getting folks opinions on here.