Read 1435 times

• kmitch20
  • Explorer

• September 04, 2014, 05:01:32 am
    • USA
Another contract that I would like opinions on!
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »
This Employment contract is made by between  and   for one year employment from

1. Schedule
Attendance at scheduled staff meetings and workshops (which is mandatory - no pay) cannot be considered as Overtime. Salaries are paid on the 4th  every month.
In the event that the employer cannot provide employee with basic teaching hours, the employer will still pay the employee the above-mentioned basic salary per month. Employee will be asked to stay in the school from 1:30pm to 8:30pm  from Monday through Friday ---{teaching hours from 2:20 to 8:20}
However, the teaching schedule can be changed according to school’s schedule.

2. Pay / Overtime
2-1The employer agrees to pay the Employee a basic salary 2.1M won(KRW)per month. (See the special term below for detail)
2-2The salary will be regularly paid every month to the Employee on 4th in a month
2-3 As for the overtime teaching  beyond that working hours because of the classes, The Employee will be paid 20,000 Won (KRW) per hour.

3. Air Ticket
3-1Economy class air ticket from the nearest international airport of the employee in his or her home country to Korea will be provided to the Employee.
 3-2 A returning air ticket will be provided to the Employee upon completing of the full contract period
 3-3 In the event that the Employee continues employment under a subsequent employment agreement with the employer, the return air ticket will be provided at the time of completion of the subsequent contract period.
 3-4 In any case , If the employee leaves the school before 6 months, the employee must payback the initial airfare or the employer may deduct the amount of airfare from the teacher's last payment
4. Housing and others
a.   Rent-free Accommodations: The employer will provide the employee with a rent-free apartment or studio depending on the situation at hand with a kitchen, a bathroom. The employer will make every effort to accommodate the employee with an apartment within walking distance of the Institute.
b.   Items included with Accommodations: All the following items are rented, free of charge, to the employee by the employer during the contract period: necessary items for the studio.
c.   Utility costs: Utility costs (water, gas, electricity, cable TV monthly service charges, and maintenance fees cost) of the rent-free accommodations will be paid by employee.
d.   Cable TV connection with English T.V. channels can be installed for the employee’s convenience. All bills incurred by each employee individually, will be paid each month on the receipt of the utility bills and photocopies of said bills.
e.   Security Deposit: For the first two months, the Employer will collect 200,000 won (400,000 won for two months) per month deposit for utilities and phone charges even if the teacher pays these charges each month.  This deposit will be refunded after the completion of this contract.

5. Teaching Materials
The Employee will be given materials to teach to the class.

6. Duties of the employee

The employee shall cooperate, comply with the instruction, training and cooperation of the director and shall carry out such assignments as directed by the director.
a.   Curriculum design and implementation - Teaching plans & reports
b.   Development of educational program and materials
c.   Out-of-classroom activities for/with students
d.   Students evaluation (to interview new students and evaluate their placement level)
e.   Attendance at teachers' meetings/ workshops.
f.   shall not sexually harass students in his/her charge.
g.   Any form of physical punishment will not be tolerated from the Employee.
h.   Check the student’s working with pen and their book.
i.   Evaluate the students performance(ex : Quiz, Mid-Term, Final-Term, Book Report) at the end of each semester and report to findings to the director of studies in writing.
j.   Use educational words to the students(ex : not use – stupid or silly)
k.   Paper work such as health screenings and alien registration card necessary for
personal expenses shall be paid by the teacher.

7. Health Coverage
Employee will be covered by medical benefits under the Korean Medical Insurance Unions, Government Health Organization or Medical insurance company. The costs of this coverage will be borne half by employer and half by employee. Payment will be made by monthly deduction from employee's salary. Dental Insurance is not included in the Contract. 

8. Pension
The Employee and the Institute will make regular contributions to the Employee’s pension fund, as stipulated by the rules and regulations of Korean National Pension Corporation. If eligible, the Employee will receive a reimbursement of all contributions made by him/herself and the Institute upon departure from Korea. The costs will be borne half by employer and half by employee.

9. Holidays / Sick days / Lateness

9-1 The Employee may use 10-working days (including sick days) as paid vacation per year. No more than five consecutive working days may be taken at once.

9-2 If the Employee is late to the class 30 minutes, one hour rate of payment may be deducted.

10. The Employee's obligation
10-1 The Employee shall observe the employer's work system and regulations concerning administration of foreign experts and shall accept the employer's arrangement, direction, supervision and evaluation in regard to the work.
10-2 Without the employer's consent, the Employee shall not render service elsewhere or hold concurrently any post unrelated to the work agreed on with the employer.
10-3 The Employee shall complete the tasks agreed on schedule and guarantee the quality of work.
10-4 Professional dress and grooming in the work are essential to maintain the desired reputation to the school. The employer shall establish general guidelines for this.
10-5 The Employee shall be expected to prepare daily topics for the class beforehand.
10-6 The Employee can be required to attend all the staffs' meeting. If the Employee must be absent, she informs the Employer prior to the meeting.
10-7 The Employee must behave in professional manner during class or when socializing with students after class.
10-8 The employee can be required to interview new students and evaluate their placement level.
10-9 The Employee shall not be absent without the employer's permission 2 days in advance notice.
10-10 The employee shall not sexually harass students in her charge.
10-11 Any form of physical punishment to students can not be tolerated.
10-12 At all times the term of this agreement, the Employee will directly adhere to and obey all the rules and regulations that have been or may hereafter be established, by the employer for the conduct of the Employee or generally for the conduct of instructors at the place of employment.

11. Taxes
Taxes (3.3%)and deductions in compliance with Korean Law shall be withheld automatically from the Employee’s monthly salary. The deductions will include income tax, pension, and medical insurance.

12. Severance package
The Employer will pay severance to the Employee upon completion of contract. The amounts of the severance pay will be the same of a month salary 2.1M Won (KRW), and if necessary, applicable government deductions will be subtracted.

13. RENEWAL
13-1 The Employee must give the Employer a written 60-day notice before renewal or non-renewal of the Employee’s current contract.
13-2 Both the Employer and the Employee reserve the option to renew the contract.

14. Termination of contract
14-1 Both parties will give at least a written 30-day notice prior to the termination date of the contract.
14-2 The Employer retains the right to terminate the contract immediately if:

Ex)   1.The Employee teaches are off the Employer’s property.
   2. The Employee uses illegal drugs or is intoxicated during work hours
   3. The Employee receives 3 times of written notice from the Employer.
4. The Employee is unable to discharge the responsibilities or meet the conditions such as being late for class on a continuous basis; continuous failure to keep regularly scheduled class hours and repeated absences from classes without a valid reason.
5. The Employee participates in any type of criminal activity of corruption of public moral that violates the laws of the Republic of South Korea.
6. In case the Employee is detected with HIV, or other drugs from the medical examination, which cause the failure to obtain valid working visa, The Employee will pay back all the expenses to the school. The Expenses are the paid air fare and medical examination fee. 

14-3 The Employee will not qualify for benefits such as severance pay and the airfares.

14-4 Within 14-days the Employee is required to sign a notice of termination and accompany the employer to the Korean Immigration office to notify the Korean Immigration office of the termination.

14-5 If the Employee wishes to voluntarily resign from employment before the completion of this contract, the employee must provide written notice to the Employer at least 8 weeks before the resignation. In this case the School has no duty to give the severance pay and return airfare to the Employee.

14-6 Non-disclosures and Non-competition Agreement(Non-disclosure)
While still in the employment of the employer’s institute or after resigning, the employee must not make any information public that he or she obtains from the employer’s institute or develops for the Institute. The teaching techniques, books, and materials of the employer’s institute are proprietary and are to be protected as intellectual and copyrighted material. In no way are the employees to engage in a private tutoring or to be employed by another institute during his/her contract period.

15. Arbitration
The two parties consult with each other and mediate any disputes which may arise about the contract. If all attempts fail, the two parties can appeal to the organization of arbitration for foreign expert affairs in Korea according to the Korean Regulations and Codes.

16. Sympathy
In the event of death of an immediate family member of the employee arrangements will be made to excuse the employee from work. These days missed will be unpaid days but will not be counted as sick or vacation days.
This contract is signed in duplicate on              for each party's perusal and keeping.

• jblissie
  • Veteran

• December 08, 2011, 10:48:22 am
    • Seoul
Re: Another contract that I would like opinions on!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:18:30 pm »
I have seen far worse than this. They pay return airfare (this has been taken out from most Hagwon contracts), they 20,000 overtime (fairly standard though I would struggle to find anyone paying more) and the hours aren't insane. The holidays are standard, and so are most things.

One or two minor issues would be the bereavement leave and the clause about disputes. That it is unpaid is a bit bad. I recently had to use mine so maybe it struck a nerve. Using sick days as holiday is also very cheap. That they explicitly mention disputes probably means they have been in a few. Though they say it can be resolved with a neutral party, so that is a good sign.

All in all if I was looking for a Hagwon job, I would probably sign. I would research it though. Find out if there have been any bad reports, where it is located, how many foreign teachers are there (only one will make the job harder) and make sure your bosses English level is good enough to communicate in. Ask the teachers there what it is like too.

Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:45:32 pm »
Vacation seems a bit vague. I would request an amendment to state that vacation excludes non teaching days. Some hagwons have tried to say that 5 days vacation starts on Saturday. So instead of having Saturday till the following Sunday off they would only give you Saturday till Wednesday.

It seems like a decent hagwon contract. On site desk warming is minimal.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:52:27 pm »
Vacation seems a bit vague. I would request an amendment to state that vacation excludes non teaching days. Some hagwons have tried to say that 5 days vacation starts on Saturday. So instead of having Saturday till the following Sunday off they would only give you Saturday till Wednesday.

It seems like a decent hagwon contract. On site desk warming is minimal.

No need. The contract states

"The Employee may use 10-working days (including sick days) as paid vacation per year. No more than five consecutive working days may be taken at once. "

Working days are mentioned twice.

Overall it's a decent hagwon contract. 1 or 2 things are a bit nickel and dimey (the unpaid bereavement leave, but hopefully it doesn't come to fruition, and if it does, they're probably more likely to let you have it, without much fuss).

2.1m is on the low side, but overall, I echo the sentiments above, that you're unlikely to get better (on paper, anyways).

• kmitch20
  • Explorer

• September 04, 2014, 05:01:32 am
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »
Thank you all for your input! I am thinking about taking this position. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that it is not in a big city (I wanted a big city position). It seems really good for a first time teacher though and it is more central, so I think I could go on day trips to some larger cities!