Read 12176 times

• 외계인
  • Expert Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 am
    • Seoul
    more
Re: Gukmin Ilbo article: "Native speaking teachers who teach students while high"
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 09:43:27 am »
New Korea Times article:

David Kim, an official of the Korean-American Association of Washington, says although there are ''proven benefits for marijuana usage,'' many Koreans don't relate to and approve the drug legalization as much as Americans do.

''It's a culture shock. No matter what advocates here say, for Koreans, marijuana has always been and probably always will be considered a bad drug,'' he said.

I at least know a few Koreans who either have smoked and love it or want to try it, so it's not as black and white as this guy makes it out to be. Of course, these people are the exception, but it's crazy to think that attitudes towards it could never change.

Well, as far as I know weed and hemp have only been truly illegal here since the 70's and Park Chung-hee.

So this idea that it has always been considered terrible is kinda 1984ish.. I am not saying it was super widespread before.  But they sure have practically everyone these days considering it to be pretty much one of the worst things on the planet. 

But what is with all the weed merchandise Koreans are constantly wearing.  I'd love to know what percentage actually know what that little leaf is. Or what the English expression they are rocking even says.

Also some good articles out there on the fact that it is essentially legal in North Korea.  But I doubt most South Koreans are aware of that either.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:11:06 pm by 외계인 »

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
Re: Gukmin Ilbo article: "Native speaking teachers who teach students while high"
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 10:51:36 am »
The problem with satire is that if it is done badly it makes you look foolish. I don't think the Colbert report will be signing you up as a staff writer.

My knickers are firmly untwisted though I will probably need a shower after demeaning myself answering your diatribe.

I suppose being self righteous isnt a crime. Another person on here with your attitude called themselves an "intelligent free thinker". I guess people like you and her consider it as such when using harsh words such as prejudice and racist without knowing the jest of an opinion, joke etc...

Although it's probably that exact same people that have very strong prejudices that are the first to throw stones. 

So take that shower and cleanse yourself of those prejudices.

Articles like these deserve the same kind of filth thrown back at it, defending it makes you sound like those people on fox news and the daily mail when they act like the victim of John Stewart and Colbert's insults, jokes etc...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:28:11 am by scholes »

• jblissie
  • Veteran

• December 08, 2011, 10:48:22 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 12:35:01 pm »
The problem with satire is that if it is done badly it makes you look foolish. I don't think the Colbert report will be signing you up as a staff writer.

My knickers are firmly untwisted though I will probably need a shower after demeaning myself answering your diatribe.

I suppose being self righteous isnt a crime. Another person on here with your attitude called themselves an "intelligent free thinker". I guess people like you and her consider it as such when using harsh words such as prejudice and racist without knowing the jest of an opinion, joke etc...

Although it's probably that exact same people that have very strong prejudices that are the first to throw stones. 

Articles like these deserve the same kind of filth thrown back at it, defending it makes you sound like those people on fox news and the daily mail when they act like the victim of John Stewart and Colbert's insults, jokes etc...

This is the final thing I'll say about this, but feel free to say more if you please. I won't be reading it.

The first thing, I'll say is that I condemned the article. Explicitly. My reference about the Daily Mail and Fox news was about that. Are you hard of reading? Though I can see by your replies that you would fit right in with such august company (that was sarcasm: people like you need things spelled out).

Secondly, I never called you racist, though I have said another person on this site is (it was well merited no matter how harsh). I certainly think you are prejusticed, not just from what said earlier (though it certainly helped confirm the belief) but from anti-Korea tirades (I await the the cry of "apologist") on other forums. I can at least say who you are prejudiced against, unlike you who throws the word out there citing nothing other than the childish impulse to say "you stink more!". My four year old would beat you in an argument.

I don't consider myself "an intelligent free thinker". I dislike being pigeonholed. I do consider myself intelligent enough to judge people "on the content of their character" and not paint a group of people's ills as an entire nations (like you do).

Articles like these deserve our contempt and should be dismissed as one crank's words. To demean yourself by using their methods makes you the same as them. You belong in the school playground where you can scream "he hit me first!". Also by saying that they deserve to have the same filth thrown back you are also saying that you are semi-serious about what said about Koreans coming into your country. No satire intended.

Being a fan of satire I can tell the difference between being inflammatory and making a point. Your "jokes" must go down well at parties. You're the guy who people don't want to debate with. You probably surround yourself with people who think alike because the choir can never get enough preaching.

Anyway this was probably a waste of time, people like you and the author of the article being at opposite ends of the spectrum end up at the same point. One should never argue with fools and drunks.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »

This is the final thing I'll say about this, but feel free to say more if you please. I won't be reading it.

Though I can see by your replies that you would fit right in with such august company (that was sarcasm: people like you need things spelled out).

One should never argue with fools and drunks.
I will probably need a shower after demeaning myself answering your diatribe.

See this what a pomopous idiot sounds like.
May I remind you that you were the one that responded to other people's replies in the first place.
Acting like we wasting your time shows just how self righteous you really think you are.

The first thing, I'll say is that I condemned the article. Explicitly. My reference about the Daily Mail and Fox news was about that. Are you hard of reading?

Don't cry because I used it against you, I'm aware that you "appeared to be" for the article, I assume that was only so you can take a swipe at other peoples post. Fox and friends do what you do. Make a scene and cry when it back fires on them.

I do take the opposing stance in the way you say, I'd say 60% of it is satircal, trying sound as silly as them, and the rest is when im having a bad day.

At least i don't think that my sh#t tastes like ice cream. Acting like a god on the internet like some fools do.

Word of advice to the pompous out there. If you responding to someone, the person that wrote something isnt wasting your time. You as the respondent are potentially wasting theirs.

You probably just got out of university, and you tease and call other people childish in the hope people aren't able to see through it. Young thundercat, lol.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:01:14 pm by scholes »

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 01:20:12 pm »
''Two months after my family moved in to a new house, we found out our neighbor was growing pot in her backyard with the fan running 24 hours a day,'' wrote one Korean resident of Colorado on a local Korean online forum.
-- From the above linked article.

These poor folks obviously fear for their lives!

This is the highlight of the entire thread.  We can officially close the thread now  :laugh:

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 01:21:41 pm »
Quite apart from whether alcohol or pot is more damaging to one's health, the article is a heap of muck -

WTF:   "a ton of"   . Whoever uses that in an article is a ****** disgrace.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »
Why is anyone surprised by this article? 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 10:23:55 am »
''Two months after my family moved in to a new house, we found out our neighbor was growing pot in her backyard with the fan running 24 hours a day,'' wrote one Korean resident of Colorado on a local Korean online forum.
-- From the above linked article.

These poor folks obviously fear for their lives!

This is the highlight of the entire thread.  We can officially close the thread now  :laugh:

It is cute to see how foolish Koreans are, how powerless they are, when they aren't the dominant population. Must be quite difficult for them.

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 10:03:54 am »
Kenny from half baked was a great teacher!!

But we have to remember Korea is always changing, always developing.
There's still a long way to go. The rest of the world knows alcohol and tobacco are FAR more dangerous.
But, Korea will catch up. Cigarettes at 2$/pack and soju at 1$/bottle is ridiculous. THAT'S a problem.
There will be changes as Koreans become more globally aware and educated.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:16 am »
Cigarettes will soon be double in price.