Read 12307 times

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
"Thirty-two-year-old J, an English instructor at a kindergarten in Yongin, openly taught dozens of children while in a state of hallucination after smoking marijuana. In the car he took to work at the kindergarten, he had marijuana, scales for measuring marijuana, and zip lock bags used for selling it. Thirty-one-year-old W, an American English instructor, had learned techniques to prepare himself for being caught by police for smoking marijuana and shaved all of his hair, including his body hair, and after told his friends, 'If you have no hair you can't be caught by a drug test.' However his marijuana use was detected by a urine test and he was arrested.

"Police caught a ton of native speaking teachers and instructors like this, who had bought and smoked marijuana that had come from the US. A portion of these even carried out class in a kindergarten in a state of hallucination. It's shocking that university English professors were included. It was announced on the 20th that the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency drug investigation division arrested five people, including a Mr. Shin, who was in charge of selling, on charges of contravening the drug control law, and booked without detention 32 people, including Canadian K, who purchased marijuana from those arrested.

"These days, due to the trend of early English education, there are many children who take classes with native speaking English teachers from a very young age. In particular, most elementary, middle, and high school students learn English from native speakers at school or in hagwons. In this situation, instances of native speaking English teachers and instructors taking drugs and teaching classes are occurring endlessly. Parents' hearts sink every time they hear news of a foreign teacher who teaches their children being involved in drugs.

"To ensure this unfortunate incident does not occur again, drug testing for foreign teachers and instructors must be strengthened. In particular, it must be exhaustively confirmed beforehand that foreign teachers employed at schools do not have criminal backgrounds involving drugs. During the hiring process and, of course, at rehiring time and while they are employed continuous management is needed. It is also worth reviewing the policies for selecting and verifying native speaking teachers not at the level of individual schools, but by the responsible education offices or the ministry of education."
link

I'm pretty certain I'm part of one of the least respected professions in South Korea.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
Haha, quality article. ;D

I usually stop reading anything that has the phrase "these days" in it.

Anyway no English teacher would be dumb enough to believe that shaving your body hair would stop you getting caught doing drugs.

• James89
  • Veteran

• February 04, 2013, 05:14:23 pm
    • SoKo
In particular, it must be exhaustively confirmed beforehand that foreign teachers employed at schools do not have criminal backgrounds involving drugs.

Isn't that already the case?

this issue has been discussed in this thread here, which is locked currently:
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=78523.0

This wouldn't be a problem if foreigners would just come to work drunk off of all natural soju.

When in Rome, my friends. When in Rome...

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
Yeah you are right, just come to work smelling like soju.

The kids will say you smell like their fathers.....

When Koreans come to our countries we should let them take stringent psychological tests every year to make sure they will fit into our societies and that they won't shoot up universities etc..

Some of the these articles are really completely sick in nature.

Hyperbole much!!!!???
Omg
Occuring endlessly, ton of teachers, etc....what an exaggeration!
Just sensationalist crap for lower class Koreans who don't know what to think.

A few other pts
1. Just because somebody works at a uni, it shouldn't be more shocking haha
2. Hangovers from alcohol cost BILLIONS of dollars in lost productivity annually. Where's the outrage?
Haha just pee all over the outside of the cup next time they test u.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Here's a guy who smoked loads of marijuana for years (and still does). He's in his 80's (just before his 80th birthday in this video), yet is well spoken, in great shape, and articulate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvvWRkefnbI

Here's a much younger guy who drank loads of alcohol for years. Now he's overweight and brain damaged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9vWcyuqLSs

Please understand our culture.

Here's a guy who smoked loads of marijuana for years (and still does). He's in his 80's (just before his 80th birthday in this video), yet is well spoken, in great shape, and articulate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvvWRkefnbI

Here's a much younger guy who drank loads of alcohol for years. Now he's overweight and brain damaged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9vWcyuqLSs

Spot on!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
Re: Gukmin Ilbo article: "Native speaking teachers who teach students while high"
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 11:53:51 am »
Hmmm... Mr Shin, Mr K, Mr W and Mr J

That couldn't be Mr Shin, Mr Kim, Mr Woo and Mr Jeong could it? :rolleyes:

"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Re: Gukmin Ilbo article: "Native speaking teachers who teach students while high"
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 12:07:21 pm »
Hmmm... Mr Shin, Mr K, Mr W and Mr J

That couldn't be Mr Shin, Mr Kim, Mr Woo and Mr Jeong could it? :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I thought.

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:13 pm »
this issue has been discussed in this thread here, which is locked currently:
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=78523.0

I was wondering why I was having such deja vu from this topic. I'm sure it'll follow the same path and get locked if the mods aren't already displeased at a duplicate article post.

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »
I really hate the whole black and white casting of alcohol and marijuana. I know people who drink regularly and are perfectly fine, successful even. I know people who have smoked throughout their lives and they haven't amounted to anything.

It's the substance but how you use it.
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 12:27:55 pm »

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 01:16:02 pm »
Health stuff aside, the consequences of banning alcohol were much more serious for society at large and it hardly disappeared either.

Given the choice, I would prefer my child's native teacher to come to school sober and respect Korean laws.

Either way I'm glad the guy is gone, one less idiot around.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 01:23:39 pm »
I really think that Miley Cyrus should be consulted for her opinion on all of society's socio-political ills.  :P
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 01:33:16 pm »
I really think that Miley Cyrus should be consulted for her opinion on all of society's socio-political ills.  :P

Whatever the question is, the answer is always twerking.