Read 1148 times

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
NYC's fight against secondhand smoke
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:02:30 am »
Great job, NYC! I hope other cities follow their lead. (Many already have.)

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2014/09/health/cnn10-healthiest-cities/?hpt=hp_c3

Among big cities, New York has been a steadfast pioneer in cracking down on smoking.

It began nearly two decades ago when the city recognized the hazards of secondhand smoke by passing a law prohibiting smoking in workplaces. In 2002, Mayor Michael Bloomberg extended the smoking ban to include almost all bars and restaurants, sparking an outcry that gradually subsided as most eateries prospered under the new law.

The ban appeared to dampen New Yorkers’ appetite for cigarettes. A survey by the city’s health department found that from 2002 to 2012, the number of adult residents who reported smoking declined by 28%. Over roughly the same period, the smoking rate among New York high school students plummeted by 50%.

Health officials say that even people exposed to low levels of secondhand smoke can develop the same type of lung problems seen in regular smokers. So in 2011, Bloomberg took the anti-tobacco fight outdoors with a bill that made it illegal to smoke in city parks, on beaches and on pedestrian plazas.

“There are very few places left to (legally) smoke,” says Christine Johnson, assistant commissioner for the Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control at the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. “We want to make it easier for people to quit.”

City leaders also have raised the barriers to buying cigarettes. A law that took effect in May raised the legal age for buying cigarettes and tobacco products from 18 to 21. At the same time, the city hiked the sales tax on tobacco; by law, a pack of cigarettes must sell for at least $10.50, the second-highest price in the nation.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
Re: NYC's fight against secondhand smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:35:19 am »
"Smoking is a filthy habit!  Even walking by someone who had a smoke three hours ago causes me to have a severe asthma attack!  I am such a better person than anyone who decides to take part in this completely legal activity that provides tax revenue for our economy!"

*Steps into SVU that spews more toxins in the air in 5 minutes than a smoker will ever create with cigarettes, and is causing great environmental damage to fuel while also indirectly causing wars and terrorism around the world, and stands in city traffic for 2 hours feeling superior*

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:23:30 am »
all of life improvement's threads bore me

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:15:20 pm »
all of life improvement's threads bore me

So, don't read them. That is the beauty of freedom of choice.

Really, was this comment you made necessary?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!