Read 7610 times

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
EunB of Ladies Code dead in car crash
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »
Apparently the whole group was in a car wreck near Suwon due to a back tire falling off.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/03/ladies-code-singer-eunb-killed-after-south-korean-pop-group-involved-in-car-crash-4854997/

Mind you I have never heard of these people, just my students mentioned this.

Re: EunB of Ladies Code dead in car crash
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:25:05 pm »
I was in a Wa Bar one day and they were playing k-pop routines on a big screen as background noise and I heard some Ladies Code songs. Some of them have people (backups, but still) playing instruments so I respect them on a certain level above many other K-pop acts.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:34 am »
Meeeechiiiinnnnnnnn nnn Noooooooooooooooooo!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:52 am »
Meeeechiiiinnnnnnnnnnn Noooooooooooooooooo!!!

You're missing the last part.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:15 am »
it's not mentioned in the article Wintermute linked, but the Korea Times mentions that she wasn't wearing her seatbelt.

that's why you always buckle up.

• GinaJie
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2013, 03:00:26 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:09:41 am »
It was only a matter of time before an idol died in a car accident. There's been quiye a lot of car accidents involving idols in the past few years.  Their overworked managers tend to drive them everywhere, some companies use cheap ass cars that aren't regularly maintained,  they are often speeding and no one wears a seatbelt because Korea.

One of the other notable idol crashes was Super Junior's in 2007 which involved half the group and Kyuhyun nearly died. That was a case of tired driver speeding and losing control, Kyuhyun was the most severely injured with multiple pelvic fractures, multiple broken ribs and a punctured lung, like EunBi he was flung from a window. And the journalists that were pursuing the van in the first place then obstructed paramedics. It's a tiny miricle he recovered pretty much completely.

EunBi was so young. It's such a shame. Her  group mate RiSae is looking to be in a teally bad condition as well, she could have permenantly disabilities because of her head injuries.

I have a feeling that nothing will change, though. Seatbelts will be optional, managers will still drive tired and companies will still be cheap. Korea needs more than just safety songs in music shows and the idol industry could set examples for young people but instead they put their artists in danger.  Its sad

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:04:35 pm »
Yeah it's very sad. and only 22, not cool.

And not to derail my own thread or anything, but I agree that it is terrible how overworked idols are. I have a really hard time enjoying any of their work and efforts knowing just how over worked these girls get.

Babymetal recently did a world tour. Two 14 year old girls and a 16 year old had to travel to 6 different countries worldwide, perform at multiple venues per country, from west coast to east coast, and have to continue when they get back to Japan. The two youngest had their birthdays and turned 15 during the tour.

I love babymetal, but hearing all that makes me not want to support them so the girls can go to school and live normal lives.

All of the photo shoots, and T.V. appearances, concerts, Music Videos, usually they get one day to learn a new dance routine. And then to die in a car wreck, what a life.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »
Mind you I have never heard of these people, just my students mentioned this.

i was wondering who they were too, then i heard this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oLGNQMYcJ8#t=139

• tbryangore
  • Adventurer

• May 01, 2014, 02:47:17 pm
    • Suncheon, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »

And not to derail my own thread or anything, but I agree that it is terrible how overworked idols are. I have a really hard time enjoying any of their work and efforts knowing just how over worked these girls get.

Babymetal recently did a world tour. Two 14 year old girls and a 16 year old had to travel to 6 different countries worldwide, perform at multiple venues per country, from west coast to east coast, and have to continue when they get back to Japan. The two youngest had their birthdays and turned 15 during the tour.

I love babymetal, but hearing all that makes me not want to support them so the girls can go to school and live normal lives.

All of the photo shoots, and T.V. appearances, concerts, Music Videos, usually they get one day to learn a new dance routine. And then to die in a car wreck, what a life.

They get rich and famous pretending to have some responsibility for songs they had little or nothing to do with creating. They ought to at least have to work hard to profit so much from basically being lies incarnate.

• terivinix
  • Expert Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 02:20:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 02:51:51 pm »

22 is quite old for a K-pop idol, I thought.

This article further outlines the terrible conditions that K-pop idols work in.

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_entertainment/654204.html

I suspect the K-pop industry gets more money from young girls signing up to become K-pop trainees for a future shot at fame than they do from record sales. Or at least it's a substantial income netted through hagwons and consultants and whatever other fees there may be. There's no reason to add another 50-60 K-pop groups a year when it's presumably only the top 40 or so that will be profitable.

K-pop kills.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
They ought to at least have to work hard to profit so much from basically being lies incarnate.

Pfffft hahahahahahaha! I've heard a lot of creative derision of K-pop on this site but "lies incarnate" is certainly novel.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 03:22:27 pm »
but girl groups have to maintain a ‘girlish’ image, so they have to be careful about what events they choose,” explained an entertainment producer for one network, speaking on condition of anonymity.
“If it’s a university festival in the provinces or a minor network event, you come when called,” the producer added.

reminds me of when some girls from So Nyu Shi Dae performed at our middle school soccer game. Now look at them, once huge sensation now lost and forgotten.

• GinaJie
  • Waygookin

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:17 pm »

They get rich and famous pretending to have some responsibility for songs they had little or nothing to do with creating. They ought to at least have to work hard to profit so much from basically being lies incarnate.

Laughing at the idea idols get rich. Unless you are in a major company and have the huge sales that entails you dont get squat and most idol groups make pittance the first few years of their existance. Look at block b they straight up weren't paid at all. Most of the expensive shit they wear is loaned and most money make by the rich and famous idols is by doing endorsments and acting jobs. Or musicals.

Also they don't take credit or assume responsibility for stuff they didn't create because everyone knows they have a company behind them shaping everything they do. They get credit for the performance of the trite crap they are given . Unless they actually had a hand in writing something.

That doesnt really justify the conditions they are made to work in. Would you be okay doing active work with injuries? On 3 hours of sleep on not a lot of food? And if you do collapse you might find you manager tampering with your IV to speed it up, or just be pushed on stage although you are about to faint? And the slight risk of getting a drink from someone and finding its been spiked with laxatives or glue?

Can we not slightly suggest that idols deserve the kind of schedules that contributed to this girl's death?

• tbryangore
  • Adventurer

• May 01, 2014, 02:47:17 pm
    • Suncheon, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 04:19:39 pm »
Laughing at the idea idols get rich. Unless you are in a major company and have the huge sales that entails you dont get squat and most idol groups make pittance the first few years of their existance. Look at block b they straight up weren't paid at all.

Good. Then things are as they should be.

Whether the public knows that they do almost nothing to create the music or not, they are treated by the public as if they are primarily responsible. The people who actually do create it are basically anonymous... Which actually sounds like a nice thing to be if you're responsible for taking a dump in everyone's ears. Except most people seem to enjoy using their ears as toilets.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 05:45:42 pm »
Keep it classy.

pretending to have some responsibility for songs

I really don't think anyone on this planet believes idols write music, nor do the idols pretend they had anything to do with the music. If you can prove they have claimed responsibility, in an article or an interview or something then please share.

Anywho, that's an off point. I agree that conditions for idols are really bad, but sadly I don't see it changing any time soon.

• GinaJie
  • Waygookin

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 05:48:40 pm »
Laughing at the idea idols get rich. Unless you are in a major company and have the huge sales that entails you dont get squat and most idol groups make pittance the first few years of their existance. Look at block b they straight up weren't paid at all.

Good. Then things are as they should be.

Whether the public knows that they do almost nothing to create the music or not, they are treated by the public as if they are primarily responsible. The people who actually do create it are basically anonymous... Which actually sounds like a nice thing to be if you'rpe responsible for taking a dump in everyone's ears. Except most people seem to enjoy using their ears as toilets.

Idk a lot of people know Yoo Young Jin and Kenzie are responsible for the likes of exo and snsd. And brave brothers do loads of others. And one sound.
My point is they aren't as anonymous as you are making out and its not like the idols and the companies are trying to pretend the idols are writing everything.  The information is freely available and when they perform on music shows the writing credits appear.

Smh at you thinking its how it should be and still lacking empathy for a 21 year old that spent her birthday in surgery, another young woman who might possibly be left with serious disabilities and a dead 22 year old just because the musoc doesnt fit your personal tastes and you enjoy being a musoc snob. Idols still work hard and they are still human beings.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:53:29 pm by GinaJie »

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 05:57:58 pm »
Manufactured pop music is about as old as pop music itself, and it isn't going away. People need to get over it.

Anyway, in addition to the dead girl and the driver another member RiSe is in really critical condition, she's been under a grueling 11 hour surgery I read and apparently needs more, they were going to transfer her to Seoul but her condition is too serious. I'm hoping she'll survive.

I wish more Kpop companies would get sued, though I'm sure that won't happen in this case. SM entertainment has been sued a few times by idols and had to change the condition of their contracts because of it. It's still not good but better than it used to be. The smaller companies don't have much money for anyone to gain by suing them and they have no reputation to uphold so I can imagine being under one would be even worse. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:59:54 pm by tesscandace »

• GinaJie
  • Waygookin

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:03 pm »
Pledis mentioned in a statement that by some stroke of luck the driver escaped with minor injuries. The 3 girls got the worst injuries. RiSe's situation seems really grim right now. There's been reports that they halted surgery because her blood pressure dropped. So the 3 procedures they did in that emergency surgery wasn't even finished.

Han Geng's lawsuit kinda helped but memvers of Exo have been working with injuries that weren't given sufficiant healing time and post-Geng I am aware of one case where a member was on an IV in the backstage area of a concert right up to the point he needed to go out and perform. I don't really understand Korea's attitude of 'everything can be fixed with an iv'? SM still has a lot of room to improve.  But at least they put their idols in good vans and every group has 4 or 5 managers on rotation so they are less likely to drive fatigued. In theory. 

At least people are starting to talk about things like road safety and idol treatment. I don't think much will change if anything at all but at least people are becoming aware.

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »
Han Geng's lawsuit kinda helped but memvers of Exo have been working with injuries that weren't given sufficiant healing time and post-Geng I am aware of one case where a member was on an IV in the backstage area of a concert right up to the point he needed to go out and perform. I don't really understand Korea's attitude of 'everything can be fixed with an iv'? SM still has a lot of room to improve.  But at least they put their idols in good vans and every group has 4 or 5 managers on rotation so they are less likely to drive fatigued. In theory. 

I was referring more to JYJ's lawsuit and the conditions of the contracts. They changed from 13 years to 7 years at least. But I guess it would be harder for many lawsuits to change the treatment of idols regarding their health, given it doesn't seem like companies are going to be willing to lessen their schedules anytime soon.

• GinaJie
  • Waygookin

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 09:05:27 pm »
An article with details of RiSe's condition.

http://www.soompi.com/2014/09/04/ladies-codes-kwon-rise-clings-to-life-after-car-accident-eunb-and-sojungs-mothers-offer-their-support/

Also the manager/driver may have been charged with involentary man slaughter.  Pledis are currently shifting blame towards a car rental company.

tesscandace: JYJs suit was a blow and got some results but Han Geng's suit mentioing violations of human rights and disregard for his health and his safety didn't exactly do wonders for their reputation
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:08:30 pm by GinaJie »