Read 9880 times

Re: Bucheon Korea Poly School
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 04:35:15 pm »
I said it before and I will say it again aspiring EFL teachers don't even bother working at Polys often they use the same management system and employment rules. Slave hours, slave environment, slave wages, etc. You should have some time to enjoy your life while living abroad not be bombarded with such a heavy workload and demanding/unreasonable superiors. The real hours that they force you to commit to compare to the salary you make at home or other countries (with the same hours) it's double or triple what they offer. Don't risk your health and happiness for 2.5-2.9 million won with the taxes, medicare, and pension it's less than that. And as mentioned the academy is making way too much money off of you. Shady contract, rules, work schedule, no overtime pay, no sick days, vacation days not the standard/legal 10 days, no respect nor common courtesy, scams, etc. along with pretty questionable practices- nope that's a pretty HUGE RED FLAG.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:38:03 pm by Leejongsuk89 »

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 04:36:36 am »
I don't know where to start with this. Firstly, there was another thread and site that REALLY was dumping on POLY Bucheon that is magically gone now... Secondly, this place is god awful. Look at FB comments for Bucheon teacher about this school, or the glass doors reviews, or this site (and others), the comments are awful. Can all these people over the course of all these years, warning you, be lying? Over exaggerating?  Making stuff up? I worked here and I can say, no.

Horrible environment with equally horrible management, constant turnover with the English AND Korean teachers. The head of it all is this loony lady. Kids (and the parents) having power over teachers deciding who gets punished/fired, teachers being fired because "they are too fat/ugly to teach kids", teachers being treated like children and scolded for not giving in to kids tantrums, not allowing teachers to eat lunch, dumping random extra work with little to no time to prepare, the list goes on and on.

50 hour work weeks are the "official" time, but most teachers stayed after for 15-30 minutes a day, some even more, just to prep for all the work. That's an extra 2.5 hours every weeks, when you just finished a 10.5 hr work day and are exhausted.  When they aren't giving you extra work (and demanding you keep up with all the lessons, even if the children flat out refuse to do the work mind you) they put physical work on you as well. I was told, all I was good for was carrying boxes, and had personal items stolen from my desk as well by one of the administrators.  What could I do? Complain to the admins about an admin? That isn't gonna work out, they would just take their wrath out on you

I had things thrown at me, kicked, had my butt bitten among other things. The teachers were forced to essentially teach sex ed in school, because the kids were so misbehaved that they kept touching teachers privates, or trying to see them in the bathrooms. It was like being a counselor, a teacher and a parent all in one. If that sounds like a good deal to you, then by all means work there for 2.4 a month (which is high for a first year teacher yes, but again, you're working 50 plus hrs a week....so...not really that high in the end).

No help in prep, they give you the books (sometimes switching the classes right away) and just throw you into the class. When you ask for help all you receive is "you can do it if you try harder" sort of talk. No actually constructive help in anyway. There is no actual communication either (horrible management) and if you do something they don't like, they won't tell you until you've done it a few times then spring it on you (ex. you are listening to music during prep time! There should be no headphone! You are being lazy and not focusing on being a good teacher).

Teachers turned to chain smoking, drinking, crying, anger outburst or simply running away (literally not telling the school they are quitting and just boarding a plane back to their home country), is that really a place you want to be? If it is, then by god, good luck to you, your mental and physical state and your passion for teaching

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 10:24:54 am »
I don't know where to start with this. Firstly, there was another thread and site that REALLY was dumping on POLY Bucheon that is magically gone now... Secondly, this place is god awful. Look at FB comments for Bucheon teacher about this school, or the glass doors reviews, or this site (and others), the comments are awful. Can all these people over the course of all these years, warning you, be lying? Over exaggerating?  Making stuff up? I worked here and I can say, no.

Horrible environment with equally horrible management, constant turnover with the English AND Korean teachers. The head of it all is this loony lady. Kids (and the parents) having power over teachers deciding who gets punished/fired, teachers being fired because "they are too fat/ugly to teach kids", teachers being treated like children and scolded for not giving in to kids tantrums, not allowing teachers to eat lunch, dumping random extra work with little to no time to prepare, the list goes on and on.

50 hour work weeks are the "official" time, but most teachers stayed after for 15-30 minutes a day, some even more, just to prep for all the work. That's an extra 2.5 hours every weeks, when you just finished a 10.5 hr work day and are exhausted.  When they aren't giving you extra work (and demanding you keep up with all the lessons, even if the children flat out refuse to do the work mind you) they put physical work on you as well. I was told, all I was good for was carrying boxes, and had personal items stolen from my desk as well by one of the administrators.  What could I do? Complain to the admins about an admin? That isn't gonna work out, they would just take their wrath out on you

I had things thrown at me, kicked, had my butt bitten among other things. The teachers were forced to essentially teach sex ed in school, because the kids were so misbehaved that they kept touching teachers privates, or trying to see them in the bathrooms. It was like being a counselor, a teacher and a parent all in one. If that sounds like a good deal to you, then by all means work there for 2.4 a month (which is high for a first year teacher yes, but again, you're working 50 plus hrs a week....so...not really that high in the end).

No help in prep, they give you the books (sometimes switching the classes right away) and just throw you into the class. When you ask for help all you receive is "you can do it if you try harder" sort of talk. No actually constructive help in anyway. There is no actual communication either (horrible management) and if you do something they don't like, they won't tell you until you've done it a few times then spring it on you (ex. you are listening to music during prep time! There should be no headphone! You are being lazy and not focusing on being a good teacher).

Teachers turned to chain smoking, drinking, crying, anger outburst or simply running away (literally not telling the school they are quitting and just boarding a plane back to their home country), is that really a place you want to be? If it is, then by god, good luck to you, your mental and physical state and your passion for teaching

I know someone that went off to work for Bucheon Poly...I warned her.

Anyway....no surprises about it. 

Though, the key to making things better, is for the foreign staff to grow a pair and present a united front to the boss. 

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 12:17:11 am »
biting and touching your ''parts''
Seriously???
Are these Korean kids perving on teachers? Female and male teachers? :shocked:

Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!