Read 9879 times

• bpetrea
  • Waygookin

• September 03, 2014, 12:30:27 am
    • Texas
Bucheon Korea Poly School
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:07 am »
I recently had an interview with Bucheon Korea Poly. The interview went really well, and they invited me to do a mock lesson. I imagine that the mock lesson will go well, but they noted that I don't have formal teaching experience. They said they don't normally give teachers without experience a position, but that they really like my personality and are willing to give me a chance. Any of you who are familiar with Poly are probably aware that it is long hours (9-7:30PM). They offered me 2.4 million won, and only one way airfare. I'm a bit leery about accepting, simply because I've seen posts where people advise not to accept less than 2.75. The director seemed very nice, and excited to work with me, which makes me want to accept. Still, I don't want to get stuck in a job that will be miserable. Any advice, or more info on this school?

• Choirs
  • Veteran

• December 08, 2012, 05:53:08 pm
    • UK
Re: Bucheon Korea Poly School
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:44 pm »
One of the worst I've seen yet.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:18 pm »
I'd pass based on that salary offer.  I worked at Poly and I know others that still do and hiring people with no teaching experience was pretty common.  This was a few years back, but my first year with them I worked the long schedule and was offered 2.8.  It's not a bad place to work, and what with the Bucheon school's location, you'll be living in a convenient area.  But it is a very long day, and you do a lot.  For 2.4, look around.  That is a borderline offensive offer from a Poly.

• jaec113
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2012, 01:07:17 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:13:40 pm »
I worked at a Poly School (not Bucheon), and I'll just say it's a lot of work. There was a ton of grading, all the time. 2.4 and one-way air? Not too sure about that.

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:20:08 pm »
If this is your first job in Korea 2.4 with housing incl. is not bad at all. With a couple years experience under your belt and a TESOL cert. you should be able to get over 3mill. The cost of living here is probably lower than what you're used to so with 2.4 you should be fairly comfortable while saving about 50% or more of your cheque and still go on some nice holidays. Ask to talk to other staff, pictures of the apartment. Do your research and you should be fine.

• Porksta
  • Veteran

• October 08, 2011, 09:31:27 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:51:44 pm »
Find out your EXACT teaching schedule.  If you are teaching all day from 9-730 you should be making 2.8.  At 2.4 it sounds like you may be only teaching until around 6.  If you are only teaching until 6 EVERY DAY make sure you are allowed to leave and that 6-730 are not office hours.

And one way airfare?  If you are not already in Korea then you can pass.  If you need any other advice send me a PM.

• bpetrea
  • Waygookin

• Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:55:04 am »
Thank you all for the input. I think it definitely sounds like a lot of extra work for little compensation. They said it's 6.5 actual teaching hours a day, and the rest is office hours. that's around 52.5 hours a week. Whew... Not to mention, I've been a little thrown off by their required mock lesson. They requested a 30 minute mock lesson where I go over worksheets that they gave me, and post it to youtube. It seemed a bit excessive considering most mock lessons are 5-10 minutes long. Are any of you familiar with something like that?

• Porksta
  • Veteran

• October 08, 2011, 09:31:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 11:37:52 am »
Too many hoops to jump through for too little pay for too much work.  Pass.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »
A friend of mine used to work there. He actually didn't mind his experience working there, although he did acknowledge that it was a lot of work, the work hours were quite grueling, and that it's "definitely not for everyone." He also has several years of teaching experience in Korea, so I believe he got paid in the high 2 million won range.

In general, 2.4 million won is a pretty good salary offer for a new teacher with no prior teaching experience, but for the hard work and long working hours that POLY is notorious for, I don't think that amount would be worth it, personally.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:34:36 pm »
It's long hours and you'll get sick a few times your first year over here so be prepared. If your looking to learn teaching in an organized busy environment and don't mind hard work for your first year then do it. I did a hagwon my first year and worked a lot and learned a lot. You can opt/wait for a different school if you don't want Poly's long hours. Don't be afraid of some hard work and don't take a job with Poly unless you are ready to do the work. Good Luck
It's also a good place to make friends your first year.
"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

• bpetrea
  • Waygookin

• Texas
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:23:49 pm »
So, just an update:

Last week I went through the hiring process, did the 30 minute mock lesson, which was kind of ridiculous, IMO, and was finally offered the contract. I had an impossible time getting ahold of any current or previous foreign teachers from this POLY. I asked for pictures of the apartment, and was told by the recruiter that she didn't have any. At this point the offer was still for 2.4 million won working 9-7:30. They sent the contract Friday, so it was right before Chuseok. They also said my departure date would be Sep. 28th, which is very soon. So I emailed the recruiter, and told her that I was a little bit concerned about the salary being too low, and in the contract it mentioned a 900,000 won deposit on the house that would be taken out in the first three months. I'm aware that this is common, but that number seemed really high... plus there is no roundtrip airfare... sooo, after expressing my concern, she wasn't able to get back to me until wednesday (seoul time). She called me, and we went back and forth for about an hour and a half about the Salary. I said 2.4 was too low, and that 2.5 would be more reasonable for the hours worked. (which is the salary I was told in the beginning) She insisted that it was a good salary for an inexperienced teacher, and that her other clients never complain. She told me that if I signed the contract for 2.4, that she would ask them to raise my salary after a month or two... I said, "There is no way that they would change my pay, after I had already signed." She reeeeally just wanted me to sign without any reserve. So finally I said, "look, I want you to call Bucheon POLY as soon as you can, and tell them my request." It was like pulling teeth. So apparently she did, and Bucheon would rather go with another teacher. So really, I'm not worried. If a school isn't willing to pay me 2.5 for working 52.5 hours a week, then I don't think I want to work there anyways... I have another interview tonight though. So hopefully I'll be dealing with more reasonable directors.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 08:15:31 am »
Yeah, you don't want to really work there anyways. Poly has a HUGE turnover rate, and they are really tough jobs. Why not look at public schools? When you think about airfare factored into the salary, and all the correct things paid for, public schools are pretty competitive for hours teaching and in benefits.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:29:07 am »
I think you did well to avoid it.  Poly seems to be pushing the envelope with what they can get away with.  The latest I've heard is that they are only giving eight vacation days per year.  In the contract they don't say eight, but rather that they provide all the legally mandated vacation days.  Apparently, that's eight days per year.  So people sign with the assumption the industry standard of 10 is in place.  Surprise!  Now, franchised campuses have some leeway, but I wouldn't go back to a Poly if I couldn't have at least nine days vacation to unwind from their workload.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 12:12:22 pm »
Good job for passing on that. Remember the recruiter is only looking out for #1.

There are plenty of jobs in Korea. If you're patient you'll find something reasonable.

• Choirs
  • Veteran

• December 08, 2012, 05:53:08 pm
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 12:43:14 pm »
So, just an update:

Last week I went through the hiring process, did the 30 minute mock lesson, which was kind of ridiculous, IMO, and was finally offered the contract. I had an impossible time getting ahold of any current or previous foreign teachers from this POLY. I asked for pictures of the apartment, and was told by the recruiter that she didn't have any. At this point the offer was still for 2.4 million won working 9-7:30. They sent the contract Friday, so it was right before Chuseok. They also said my departure date would be Sep. 28th, which is very soon. So I emailed the recruiter, and told her that I was a little bit concerned about the salary being too low, and in the contract it mentioned a 900,000 won deposit on the house that would be taken out in the first three months. I'm aware that this is common, but that number seemed really high... plus there is no roundtrip airfare... sooo, after expressing my concern, she wasn't able to get back to me until wednesday (seoul time). She called me, and we went back and forth for about an hour and a half about the Salary. I said 2.4 was too low, and that 2.5 would be more reasonable for the hours worked. (which is the salary I was told in the beginning) She insisted that it was a good salary for an inexperienced teacher, and that her other clients never complain. She told me that if I signed the contract for 2.4, that she would ask them to raise my salary after a month or two... I said, "There is no way that they would change my pay, after I had already signed." She reeeeally just wanted me to sign without any reserve. So finally I said, "look, I want you to call Bucheon POLY as soon as you can, and tell them my request." It was like pulling teeth. So apparently she did, and Bucheon would rather go with another teacher. So really, I'm not worried. If a school isn't willing to pay me 2.5 for working 52.5 hours a week, then I don't think I want to work there anyways... I have another interview tonight though. So hopefully I'll be dealing with more reasonable directors.

I am 100% confident you would have been absolutely miserable with this job, even for 2.5 million.

The fact you couldn't get a hold of any past teachers or apartment photos is a HUMONGOUS red flag (speaking with experience).

Pat yourself on the back for the way you handled this and continue, and don't ever let yourself be taken advantage like that.

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 09:35:23 pm »
I would suggest people to save themselves by not working at any Korea Polys. You will be glad you didn't! It's not worth the misery nor your service.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 06:58:54 pm »
Polys are too much work for little pay. So true. And 52.5 hours for 2.5 million is ridiculously low.  ;D. I almost worked at a Poly a few years back, but they decided on another teacher that was already in Korea(I was still back home at the time). Anyhow, after reading all the reviews about them and seeing their schedules(including them wanting 2 hours of prep each day) and hearing directly from a teacher or two, I realized that I dodged a bullet on that one. No way would I have been able to put up with all the BS rules and their prententious "returnee" crap. After they bypassed me, I have had nothing but easy, low stress, no stress hagwons in Korea ;D. Thanks for going with that other teacher Poly. You saved me a ton on headaches and stress.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 10:59:00 am »
I worked at a POLY M/W/F 9:30-7:30, T/TH 9:30-8:10 teaching 11 or 12 classes a day for 2.9 with no prior teaching experience. I had a great experience but I like to work like a slave as long as my students are good...which POLY kids are, but it sounds like you are getting a bad deal. RUN!

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:52 am »
I actually applied to POLY and received an email a little while ago that there aren't any positions available. :( But honestly despite all the negative reviews, like jak_eun_se, I like to work and I actually wouldn't mind working for POLY. This is my first post please don't judge me, I'm a real person. But I wanted to ask, jak_eun_se, did you negotiate for the 2.9 or did they straight up offer you that amount?

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 08:36:07 pm »
I worked at a POLY M/W/F 9:30-7:30, T/TH 9:30-8:10 teaching 11 or 12 classes a day for 2.9 with no prior teaching experience. I had a great experience but I like to work like a slave as long as my students are good...which POLY kids are, but it sounds like you are getting a bad deal. RUN!

That is a crazy no schedule and you got boned...2.9 is peanuts to them. You made those fiends a lot money.