Read 1057 times

• dizzl
  • Veteran

• September 14, 2010, 01:20:32 am
    • Jeju
I am looking to get a qualification that would allow me to work in International schools. I cannot afford a year out to do a PGCE in the UK, so have been looking at online versions.

Has anyone done this or know about it? Experiences, opinions on the course and contents and post graduation opportunities wanted please.

Or even the Sheffield University iPGCE course?

I won't do the American Teacher Ready programme but looking for a way to get qualified while working.

Insight appreciated. Much obliged to you all.

As someone also looking into this particular route, I don't think it's possible to get teacher certified unless you do some sort of teaching within a classroom in your home country.  Almost every single ad I've come across for international school teachers states that you need to be certified to teach in your home country.  Now, if you look at what Sunderland offers, they state you'll get a PGCE but Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England is conferred by the Department of Education and not by universities. The PGCE (Overseas) does not, therefore, offer a licence to teach in the UK.  The iPGCE also makes the same claim, This qualification does not include UK Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).  I'm sure you've looked into jobs, and know that international schools only want certified teachers.  Now I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell, even with the programs you're looking at here, you're still not qualified to teach in your home country.  Like I said, this only my opinion after doing lots, and lots of research on how to get certified for an international school job. 

• dizzl
  • Veteran

• September 14, 2010, 01:20:32 am
    • Jeju
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I know most people go the qualified teacher route but I have heard that some International schools take people with MA qualifications, which I hope to have before and international PGCE.

Has your research turned up anything about being offered a job with an MA?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
It depends on the level of the school and the subject(s) you are aiming to teach.

Top tier/elite schools would probably not consider anyone without QTS.

However, second and lower tier schools will take an MA/MSc into consideration, they will be especially lenient if your Masters is in Math or the Sciences and you're looking to teach in that field.

References and relevant experience will also enhance your application package.