Read 12434 times

• icndream
  • Waygookin

• July 11, 2014, 02:27:34 pm
    • 대한민국
Korea cuts 2,500 native-English teachers at public schools
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:08 pm »
Native English speakers are facing a tough competition in the Korean job market as the government continues to slash the number of foreign teachers at public schools.

The number of native teachers at Korean public schools dropped to 6,785 as of April this year, down from 9,320 in 2011, according to figures that The Korea Observer exclusively obtained from the Ministry of Education.

http://www.koreaobserver.com/korea-cuts-2500-native-english-teachers-at-public-schools-23271/

Re: Korea cuts 2,500 native-English teachers at public schools
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:59 pm »
the trend continues

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:16:02 pm »
Cool. It means there will be more hagwon jobs and, perhaps, more money to be made.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »
But will those Korean teachers actually teach in English?
In my experience,  almost never.
I've seriously never seen it.
So, basically, Incheon saves 5milllion a year on the salary, but gets a much worse educator.
If Koreans start teaching English in English, for real.....then I'll buy this Koreans are just as good line.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:47 pm »
...foreigners now have to compete with Korean teachers who are not only fluent in English but also willing to work harder for less money.
Oh really?

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2014, 06:34:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:40 pm »
...foreigners now have to compete with Korean teachers who are not only fluent in English but also willing to work harder for less money.
Oh really?

Yeah, the thing that really gets me about this is that they seem to equate being fluent in English to having the ability to properly teach it. Every Korean teacher that I've met teaches English entirely in Korean with a few English words thrown in. They then wonder why all of the money invested in English education is doing absolutely nothing.

People try to use the argument that it's because Korean and English are so different, but I call bulls*** on that - I've met so many from China and the Middle East who speak English at a fantastic level. It's not how similar the languages are as it is the quality of instruction.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:11:58 pm »
The title of the post makes it sound like 2,500 PS NETs have recently been cut.  I was shocked upon reading it. 

The post should be titled Korea has cut 2,500 public school NETs since 2011

• qi
  • Veteran

• July 21, 2011, 12:16:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:22 am »
So, basically, Incheon saves 5milllion a year on the salary, but gets a much worse educator.
If Koreans start teaching English in English, for real.....then I'll buy this Koreans are just as good line.

Western people in general are cash strapped. By far, most of ROK's exports now go to China. China is now Korea's Daddy and they'll fall into line. There are lots more SEPIK - Sino Epik teachers in Korea now and increasing.

The ESL bandwagon is becoming a thing of the past.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:41:45 am »
Oh really?

Yeah, the thing that really gets me about this is that they seem to equate being fluent in English to having the ability to properly teach it.
Yes.  That's more or less why you have a job in this country.  But ... you disagree?

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:18 am »

Western people in general are cash strapped. By far, most of ROK's exports now go to China. China is now Korea's Daddy and they'll fall into line. There are lots more SEPIK - Sino Epik teachers in Korea now and increasing.

The ESL bandwagon is becoming a thing of the past.

Are they? People I know in my hometown in Canada sure drive nice cars.

I don't know. Maybe you're younger than me, so your peers probably aren't earning as much as mine yet.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:06:56 am »
The writing has been on the wall for sometime to come. Let this be another shining example as to why you must transition away from the f*ckery that is ESL in Korea.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 06:10:44 am »
I think ESL is fast losing its shine in Korea. Unfortunately my age counts against me as it does now in Korea too or I would be looking at other countries.

A friend of mine who taught here for about 4 years and was earning around 2.3 mil has now taken a job in Saudi. Admittedly the quality of life is not the best there but the benefits for someone who wants to make some money quickly, are.

He is not a licenced teacher, just a degree. He earns 3,000 dollars a month, no taxes, no bill for utilities, free medical, free apartment, free car, free gas etc. That 3 thou he puts in his pocket each month. He gets roughly 6 weeks vacation a year too.

Currently he is teaching at a naval base, 10 students, total teaching time is 1 hour and 35 minutes a day. He is now bitching that from next month it will be increased to 3 hours 30 minutes. No deskwarming, no English Camps, his supervisor give him free reign, he can teach whatever he likes.

From next month they have offered him an extra job of an additional 4 hours which will bring his total salary to over 6 thou.

As I said, the living conditions don't suit everyone, but if you can bite the bullet for 2 or 3 years there, you will smile all the way to the bank.

BTW, licensed teachers earn way more, but I am guessing teach longer hours. So all in all he has a pretty sweet deal.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 07:19:16 am »
Oh really?

That made me laugh too.

Speaking English and having the ability to teach are two totally different things. Korean educators haven't worked that bit out yet.

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2014, 06:34:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 07:35:15 am »
Oh really?

Yeah, the thing that really gets me about this is that they seem to equate being fluent in English to having the ability to properly teach it.
Yes.  That's more or less why you have a job in this country.  But ... you disagree?

I disagree slightly, yes. Students learn way more from actually listening to and speaking in English than they do being talked at about it in Korean.  If they're actually forced to have to use English rather than resorting to Korean, they learn.

That said, I don't think the NETs can really be of any help until the Korean teachers start teaching differently. However, I think NETs are valuable because they DO give the students the opportunity to actually practice the language in a realistic setting - I always have a swarm of students around my desk who come to talk to me during break time and I always welcome them, because they never actually speak in class with the Korean teacher.

Truth be told, the main reason I came out here was to pay off student loans and because I have teaching experience. I didn't come here with under illusion that I'd be accomplishing leaps and bounds with my students' English levels. Do I feel like I'm making a difference? Maybe a small one. I've helped a lot of my students learn at least some new things, and I've managed to conduct classes where they've actually enjoyed learning English.

If there's one thing I know, it's that I didn't become fluent in another language by having the teacher talk at me in English about it.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:36:44 am »
 Lots of those teachers would have been recycled into other schools , other regions and other provinces. That's how Korvia make their money.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:44:16 am »
Wonder what that graph looks like from that 1995-2010 period. Probably no more than 1000 for most of those years. Maybe even less than 500 nationwide.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 07:49:28 am »
The title of the post makes it sound like 2,500 PS NETs have recently been cut.  I was shocked upon reading it. 

The post should be titled Korea has cut 2,500 public school NETs since 2011.

I agree. The way that people post news is really silly on Waygook. They aways try to sensationalize it. I am tired of it. I wish people would word things well because it sounds as if the government decided to cut the jobs that exist, not that they are no longer funding future contracts. Sounds like this happened overnight.

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 07:57:32 am »

I agree. The way that people post news is really silly on Waygook. They aways try to sensationalize it. I am tired of it. I wish people would word things well because it sounds as if the government decided to cut the jobs that exist, not that they are no longer funding future contracts. Sounds like this happened overnight.

To be fair though, that is kind of what happened in some MOE's.  Where was it? Incheon?

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2013, 11:17:05 am
    • Geoje Island
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 08:05:28 am »
Bit of a misleading topic title.

I was leaving this year anyway (PS), I can only imagine how panicked a few of my co-Ts are because this basically means that they have to teach English (a few of them never come to class because they're 'afraid')

• ajr30
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 01:16:21 pm
    • Yangsan, Korea
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 08:06:42 am »

That seems to be the way news is always posted... everywhere.