Read 3281 times

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
New to Cheongju
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »
Hi Everyone! :)

I am new to Cheongju and am teaching Elementary school. I arrived today.....they picked me up and BAM one short terrifying car journey later i'm in school, although not teaching until Monday.

So anyone got any advice for me? About living and teaching in Cheongju?

Thanks ;D

• valium kilmer
  • Super Waygook

• November 26, 2010, 11:28:37 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
Re: New to Cheongju
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »
I don't live there but I did for three years - best city in Korea, IMO.

Great crowd, just grab a taxi down to 'choong-dae- joong-moon' (three 'oo's in the name, careful with the pronunciation) and turn up at Road King or Pearl Jam (the Bugle) - you'll find a friendly crowd there.

Also a pub quiz at The Bugle this sat, starting about 6 - good way to meet the regulars.

Also check out http://cheongju.weebly.com/ and the Facebook group 'What's going on in Cheongju?' for info around the city.

Hope you enjoy it there - it's a great place!

• adamzero
  • Adventurer

• November 12, 2010, 08:05:44 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:20:39 pm »
There are a lot of us in Cheongju... I'm assuming they didn't put you in 'Globalville' (Onnuriville) or you would likely be talking to the many teachers living there rather than posting here  :smiley: 

There's also a lot to do, here, compared with other cities in Chungcheongbuk-do, and yet it's not as crowded as Seoul or even Daejeon.

Like Mr. Kilmer said, Chungbuk University (Chung-Dae, pronounced "Choong Day") is a popular spot to see other foreigners, largely because of the university staff but also because the Office of Education hires are often placed in one apartment building (the aforementioned Globalville) which isn't far from there.  That happens to be where most of the western food is in town (and some great Indian places), but if you don't live on that side of town there are also some good places in downtown Cheongju (Sinae, or "She Nay" if you need to tell a cab driver) and the rapidly expanding area near G-Well City and the relatively new Hyundai Department Store.

If you have a nice co-teacher whose personal life isn't super busy, ask them to show you some of their favorite spots to eat, shop, or drink (if that's something you like to do), and you'll get to see some of the city that way.  Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 02:38:42 pm »

• UKsimon
  • Veteran

• September 20, 2010, 09:04:01 am
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 09:33:46 pm »
Which bar is it that sells the cheap Guinness and Kilkennies?

Thanks

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:40:15 pm »
The thing that makes Cheongju special is how easy it is to get things going. If you want to start a club, you're already 1/3 steps into starting a club. Friendly little place, I would live there instead of Gyeonggji if i had the same job over there.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
Anyone else who stumbles upon this and is new to Cheongju...

Our new foreigner website is www.cheongjuguide.com

There is loads of info about life and places in Cheongju, with a blog about restaurants, people, and places!

• Nevermore
  • Explorer

• January 09, 2019, 10:51:52 pm
    • Cheongju, SK
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 11:22:41 pm »
Are there any more recent guides for Cheongju that anyone knows of?

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 08:54:29 am »
Welcome to Cheongju! I've been here for a year and a half and I don't have much to complain about in terms of this place. Everything you need should be within reach, and downtown is full of everything you'd ever need.

Not to mention it's pretty much central Korea, so traveling anywhere is not too bad.

Hope you enjoy your time here!  ;D
The World Ends With You