Read 3721 times

• mr
  • Veteran

• October 31, 2012, 07:47:33 am
    • Seoul
Staying at school after camp? SMOE
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »
Are any other SMOE teachers staying till 4:30 after finishing their camp? For the first time in 3 years  I was told that I have to be at school until 4:30 because of some new rules from the education office.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: Staying at school after camp? SMOE
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »
Wow, even SMOE is doing that now, huh? I remember when I was there, I didn't have to stay after camp, and coming to where I am now (gyeonggi) I was disappointed that I had to and I was having SMOE withdrawal but it seems it doesn't matter now.  :cry:
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• ben89
  • Adventurer

• May 02, 2014, 10:45:56 am
    • gyeongu
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:01:17 pm »
Warming the desk and keyboard as I was told to. My classes ended 3 hours ago but they want me here till 4:30.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:18 pm »
pretty sure that's the norm everywhere now. 

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:44:23 pm »
My camps are always from 1-4. The first camp I did, I had to be there by 11. Winter camp I was allowed at first to come in late then was told I had to be there at 8:30, but as no one was in, I never showed up until 10. Thankfully, this summer camp my handler told me I was ok coming in at 12:00.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 06:54:43 pm »
Ya deskwarming is the norm

• kitster1
  • Adventurer

• December 06, 2010, 09:34:41 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:25 pm »
I guess im one of the fortunate ones with smoe to still not have to deskwarm after camp. I will treat it as a bonus, not an entitlement. If they turn around and tell me i have to do it in the winter, i wouldnt have problems obliging.  More time to practice korean or take upgrade skillz. Exercise the brain muscle or it will go stale!

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:37:48 pm »
Are any other SMOE teachers staying till 4:30 after finishing their camp? For the first time in 3 years  I was told that I have to be at school until 4:30 because of some new rules from the education office.

Try to be as annoying as possible while you sit there and maybe they'll give the "be a decoration" job back to the potted plant.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »
I leave camp later than I leave regular school. It's pretty sweet.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53:24 am »
The closer to Seoul and Gyeongi do you get the closer the rules are watched more closly.  Plus, they pay less money too.   :P

• MissEzri
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2012, 10:49:46 am
    • Wandang-dong, Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:42:06 am »
I believe it is an insurance thing and the rules changed a few years ago.

This winter I was lucky and the VP said I could go home but I had to sign paperwork saying basically I was making teaching materials at home and had to prove I did do work at home. The only big thing they asked me was not to leave the country unless it was my paid vacation time, which wasn't really a big deal. We got a new VP after winter vacation and she made me stay at school and desk warm. I used some vacation time to leave early after camp (my mother was visiting, and ended up desk warming for 2 days, and the principal told me to go home early the second day... it ends up depending on the school.

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:19:31 am »
Not only do I leave, my KT drives me home.  Deskwarming only occurs during the normal school year (aka, classes were canceled for some reason).  Otherwise I am told to stay at home and "don't get into an accident."  This is not the normal thing though...

My school basically doesn't care what the POE says in regards to me any more because there is literally no way to fulfill all of the requirements from the POE in my position and they know that and still can't do anything to me or the school.  As long as I show up and do what my school tells me to do all is well.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 11:25:26 am »
Desk warming depends greatly on the principal, and past experience with a NET.

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

• March 29, 2014, 07:58:25 am
    • WI, USA (Hopefully Jinju soon)
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 08:00:27 am »
I stayed at school after my camp.  The teachers were not mean or angry about it, they just said it was s contract thing.  There were a couple other teachers there who had some sort of similar deal. Straight up korean but had to stay even after i left a t 4:30.  It was kind of nice as we bet on darts and ate food together.  It was like a mutual understanding that the latter half of the day was just there to waste all of our time.  Heck, even the vice principle (remembering that this is a giant public school) would mess around with us.  It was realllllly weird.  But it did make the days go a lot faster.  and i am much better at darts now. 

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:10 am »
There were a couple other teachers there who had some sort of similar deal. Straight up korean but had to stay even after i left a t 4:30.
Some contract teachers, conversation and interns, are often made to deskwarm. Also, either the principal, or vice-principal, are supposed to be in school. The administration staff and the assigned teacher(s) for that day too.

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

• March 29, 2014, 07:58:25 am
    • WI, USA (Hopefully Jinju soon)
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 10:14:57 am »
There were a couple other teachers there who had some sort of similar deal. Straight up korean but had to stay even after i left a t 4:30.
Some contract teachers, conversation and interns, are often made to deskwarm. Also, either the principal, or vice-principal, are supposed to be in school. The administration staff and the assigned teacher(s) for that day too.

Well one of them was the secretary at the school so i got that, she may just be an hourly employee and works like an officer employee.  I just assumed that the other guy must have had some sort of contract things.  He was teaching a summer school class but had to stick around for whatever reason.  Either way it was nice to not always be there alone.  Although i could have slacked off properly with naps and video games if i had been.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 02:12:00 pm »
I have a standard EPIK contract between me (Employee) and the Principal (Employer) of my school.

Article 13 - 8 states: The Employer may provide a special allowance to an employee who has made a great contribution to the Employer and/or who is determined to work at a special institute by the Employer.

This article pretty much gives the Principal, at least in my case because the contract is between us, not me and the POE, carte blanche to do what he wants.

I don't deskwarm at all. I took an extra 5 days vacation over my summer allotment. I showed up minutes prior to summer camp's first day. Camp was for 4 days, for 3 hours per day. As soon as it was finished I left. 

No worries, no hassles. Everyone is happy.

Hail Caesar