Read 8523 times

• Bwiiian2
  • Waygookin

• March 31, 2012, 02:47:19 pm
    • Samcheok
Re: Student Suspended For Saying "Bless You"
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 09:48:21 am »
Just another person trying to say they are being persecuted for being a christian.  What actually happened was that she disrupted the class by breaking the no talking rule.  Nothing to do with religion.

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 09:50:27 am »
Regardless of the exact circumstances the punishment does not match the infraction, and it sounds like the teacher was just being a dick because he had his authority challenged.

Lots of people say "bless you" automatically after somebody sneezes. Yes, it has a tenuous link to religion but few people even think about that when they say or hear it, it's simply considered "the polite thing to do" by many, and nothing more.

Yes, it's pointless and pretty much meaningless, and no, I don't say it myself for the very reason that it is linked to religion (and also silly), but it's sure as shit not doing any harm. This teacher sounds authoritarian to an unreasonable degree. At the very most they should have taken the student aside at the end of class and reminded them of their no speaking rule, and left it there. But even that would have been a bit dickish. Suspension is absurd.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 10:27:58 am »
I'm going to play devil's advocate here because I always wonder when I see stories like this if there was more to it. In the video, they mention some dialogue after the "bless you" was said. Was it really only those two sentences or did she actually cause a disruption? Did she argue in class with the teacher about freedom of speech?

I mean, a classroom can have rules and while I don't agree with what the teacher was quoted as saying (from a 3rd party, by the way), I wonder if it is just gaining attention because it's related (somewhat) to Christianity. If she was suspended for saying "here's a tissue," would this still be news? Would she still have argued with the teacher? Would the teacher have said anything at all?

The news is very good at making a story controversial because that's what gets them the ratings. Would you have still clicked on this link if it said, "Student suspended for breaking the rules in a computer class"? Probably not, and the news knows that, so this is a much juicier spin on the story.

the story isnt so much that the "student broke the rule" as much as what the rule is.

the news is in the rule being "can't say these words _____ (insert List)____" and "can't cause disruption in class".  some of the words like "this is stupid" and "dumb" i agree with. but "bless you" shouldnt be on that list. so i give a point to the student. however, the class rule of no disruptions/outburst was broken. so there is a point to the teacher. 

the 'breaking point' comes when the student ARGUED with the teacher. that caused more disturbance/outburst. i side with the student for being allowed to say what she wants, within reason.  but i also side with the teacher on the disruptive behavior. 

suspension? maybe not.  cleaning the classroom or detention, depends on how BAD the offense escelated to.  did it go beyond what was reported? or was the report 'exact'.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• ajr30
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 01:16:21 pm
    • Yangsan, Korea
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 10:54:50 am »
I'm going to play devil's advocate here because I always wonder when I see stories like this if there was more to it. In the video, they mention some dialogue after the "bless you" was said. Was it really only those two sentences or did she actually cause a disruption? Did she argue in class with the teacher about freedom of speech?

I mean, a classroom can have rules and while I don't agree with what the teacher was quoted as saying (from a 3rd party, by the way), I wonder if it is just gaining attention because it's related (somewhat) to Christianity. If she was suspended for saying "here's a tissue," would this still be news? Would she still have argued with the teacher? Would the teacher have said anything at all?

The news is very good at making a story controversial because that's what gets them the ratings. Would you have still clicked on this link if it said, "Student suspended for breaking the rules in a computer class"? Probably not, and the news knows that, so this is a much juicier spin on the story.

the story isnt so much that the "student broke the rule" as much as what the rule is.

the news is in the rule being "can't say these words _____ (insert List)____" and "can't cause disruption in class".  some of the words like "this is stupid" and "dumb" i agree with. but "bless you" shouldnt be on that list. so i give a point to the student. however, the class rule of no disruptions/outburst was broken. so there is a point to the teacher. 

the 'breaking point' comes when the student ARGUED with the teacher. that caused more disturbance/outburst. i side with the student for being allowed to say what she wants, within reason.  but i also side with the teacher on the disruptive behavior. 

suspension? maybe not.  cleaning the classroom or detention, depends on how BAD the offense escelated to.  did it go beyond what was reported? or was the report 'exact'.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The news makes it sound like she was nice and polite about her right to say "bless you" in class but it's in their best interest to do so. Maybe she was disruptive, maybe that kind comment was actually in an argumentative tone. I dunno.

But I do agree with everyone who says the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Unless things really escalated and/or this wasn't her first offense, I don't see how suspension is fitting for a classroom disturbance.

• Bwiiian2
  • Waygookin

• March 31, 2012, 02:47:19 pm
    • Samcheok
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:25:31 pm »
She wasn't suspended.  She went to the principle and as per the schools rules, had to stay there for the rest of the class.  She wasn't suspended, just got caught up in the school system of taking someone out of a class for disrupting it.  She said bless you, she should then have said sorry and nothing more would have come of it. Instead she started complaining about persecution and about how god should be in the classroom..she then got told to leave because of disruption.  Do a bit of research on the internet and you can find the whole story.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 02:36:24 pm »

http://www.momdot.com/in-school-suspension-for-saying-bless-you-after-a-sneeze-for-real/

what is the difference between Detention and ISS (In School Suspension)?

is it just a sugar-coated way of telling a kid to leave the room? cause we dont want to 'hurt their precious little feelings'?
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 07:44:49 pm »
I have to agree with others here and say there is obviously more to the story.  The media loves to drum up this stuff, and often we only get one side because the school can't comment publicly for fear of a lawsuit.  Even from the story itself it's clear she wasn't punished for saying "Bless You", she was punished for talking back to the teacher, and she wasn't suspended in the sense we would assume, but left the one class. 

As teachers we should really be sensitive to stories like this.  Many times in my time in the classroom simple incidents get blown way out of proportion by bratty kids, their vigilant homeroom teachers and their "NOT MY SNOWFLAKE!" parents. 

Ex 1: A kid says I made them stand at the back because they accidentally fell out of their chair.  Teacher is a monster!

What really happened: Kid was playing around the whole class, being disruptive and either fell out of the chair on purpose for attention or due to this silliness. 

Ex 2: A kid says I made them sit at the back because they asked their friend for a pencil because theirs broke.  The horror! 

What really happened: The kid was talking all class and stole the pencil from someone else.

Teachers make mistakes, and maybe this one overreacted.  But I sincerely doubt we're getting the whole story, even when considering the video already tells a very different one than the headline suggests.  It's also important to note that students in school don't actually have the right to freedom of speech.  They can't swear, wear alcohol or tobacco logos on clothing and many other things.  Sounds like this girl, prompted by her parents and preacher, was looking to pick a fight and get some attention.  And of course the media was happy to oblige. 

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 03:48:23 pm »
Article should read "Student given a time-out for disrupting the class and arguing with a teacher."

But that happens everyday. So....gotta exascerbate the title

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 04:02:37 pm »
If you follow the links around from this story somewhere there is a reported conversation posted. It sounds like she tried to start a protest/riot in the classroom and was kicked out for it. Little shock some are trying to spin it to this angle. Reminds me of that whole hoax during the columbine shooting where christians were carrying on about that one girl who was "so brave".

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 06:23:48 am »
I teach in TN and stories like this always make me really question what happened.

Was it really a singular incident with an innocent response?

Something like this has happened in my third grade class:

*sneeze* "Bless you"
---
*sneeze* "Bless you"
---
*sneeze* "Bless you", *sneeze* "Bless you"
---
*sneeze* "Bless you", *sneeze* "Bless you", *sneeze* "Bless you", *sneeze* "Bless you", *sneeze* "Bless you", *sneeze* "Bless you"

At which point I told my students that the next person to sneeze or say bless you would have their folders marked.

Because at that point it's not a common courtesy issue, it's a disruption issue. No one is learning when everyone is snickering and waiting for their opportunity to "sneeze" and say "bless you". Telling a kid not to sneeze or say "bless you" can sound ridiculous out of context.

I don't know if that has any bearing at all on this situation, but TN seems to have a fairly "Christian" bias and I have to imagine that this would have caused an out-and-out backlash had it simply been as depicted in that video. There's always more to the story.

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 06:26:16 am »
I'm an atheist and I still say "Bless you".

I'm an atheist and I consciously weened myself away from saying it.

[/quote]

I don't say it at all. I ask them if they're okay or need a tissue or simply don't say anything.

• jblissie
  • Veteran

• December 08, 2011, 10:48:22 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 11:05:51 am »
Regardless of whether the student was disruptive, the teacher fell into a trap. Maybe the student said it sarcastically after a series of clashes and it set the teacher off. Honestly she could have handled it better. She could have responded with a simple "thank you", so if it is meant politely, then no harm, but if it is meant sarcastically it diffuses the point of the sarcasm. If she was being openly disruptive then challenge her on a different point because if she is trying to goad the teacher then surely another comment will follow.

If the story is true as reported, then it is PC gone mad. It is just common courtesy in the west. I am not religious but I use it. The meaning comes from the user.

The teacher would have been on much stronger ground if the student had been proselytising. You have to pick your battles.

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 01:11:08 pm »
If a student says "Bless you" or "God bless you" to me, I would smile.

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »
If a student says "Bless you" or "God bless you" to me, I would smile.

k.

Does that happen a lot?