Read 1135 times

Going back to Korea: visa and immigration questions.
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:24:27 am »
So I was in Korea, teaching at public schools (middle and elementary) between 2012 and 2014. I left in March of this year, but I'm very ready to go back now.

Grad school just seems like a really bad investment, given its cost, about 40,000$ and the dim prospects for employment. At best, I would be a life-long adjunct lecturer, with an average starting salary of 18,000$. Benefits are non-existent for adjuncts to add insult to injury, too. A degree in English is not lucrative enough to justify its cost. So basically, I've become disillusioned with academia, especially as it tends to get lost in a theoretical, intellectual game of chess. I'm just not seeing how my program would provide me with the skills to become a better teacher. Not trying to get rich or famous as a rockstar academic. I just want to make a decent living, doing what I enjoy.

So now I'm considering two options. I can get my CELTA certification, for only 2,700$ before March and start a new job then or apply to USC's M.A. in TESOL online, which is 46,000$, but a more sure bet since it has name brand recognition. I'll make that decision on my own, though.

My real question is about visas and immigration? Can I fly there out of pocket on some sort of holiday visa in January and stay for 2 months until I start work in March? And can I immigrate there and just study online for about 15 months? (to simply study, I would have my own housing covered) I know after I finished my job, I was told I had 10 days to GTFO, essentially.
I was on an E2.

Also, do I need to another criminal background check and all that other stuff?

  • taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

    • 5520

    • September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Going back to Korea: visa and immigration questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:28:57 am »
if your visa expired, and you want to get a new one, you have to apply from the start just like everybody else. that means you'll need the same documents.

you could come to korea on a tourist visa, and look for work but you'll need to leave the country to go on a visa run. I think a tourist visa is only 90 days though.
use google to search the site XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Re: Going back to Korea: visa and immigration questions.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:36:40 am »
Leave the country to go on a  Visa run? Would Japan work or do I have to go back home to the U.S.?  Going back to my home country would be prohibitively expensive. In that case, it would be better to apply and wait for a job here. The reason I want to go back is that the funds for my CELTA certification are tied up in my Korean bank, and I would want my certification before I'm employed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:38:46 am by aalexandromoreno »

  • Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

    • 642

    • October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
Re: Going back to Korea: visa and immigration questions.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:49:29 am »
Most people go to Japan, although you can do it almost anywhere. Japan is the easiest place. It still costs a plane ticket and a weeks accomodation. I think the processing time is 3-5 working days from when you apply to it in Japan.

If you want to stay here long term, I don't think anyone is going to bother you if you leave the country every 90 days to get a new visa. A working holiday visa would be a safe bet though.

Re: Going back to Korea: visa and immigration questions.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:02:45 am »
So even if I go there on a holiday visa and find a job while I'm there, between January and March, or find a job before, as in during 2014, either way...the visa run is necessary?