Read 21034 times

Re: Korean Herald- Dozens of Foreign English Teachers arrested (drugs again)
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »
And chances are that most of the "foreigners" in this case were probably Koreans or Korean Americans. But why let the truth get in the way of your propaganda, eh Korea?

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2014, 07:19:16 am »
Drinking is more acceptable here, but is bad for you. There is no significant health gains from drinking alcohol, but has a quite a few significant downsides to it. Hence, bad.
What you've written is true only if the person is drinking a large amount. There are, in fact, studies showing that moderate drinking of alcohol has positives health-wise.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140710151947.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oGS1_C0l7M&list=UUzWQYUVCpZqtN93H8RR44Qw

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551

TL DR - Even so, the evidence about the possible health benefits of alcohol isn't certain, and alcohol may not benefit everyone who drinks.
TL DR - Red wine's resveratrol not linked to healthier life.

With that said, I drink knowing it harms me. I don't care~ Live everyday like it's your last right? Just don't use health benefits as an excuse anymore :)
So I'll raise you a http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/

"The effect is fairly consistent, corresponding to a 25 percent to 40 percent reduction in risk [of cardiovascular disease]."

And it goes further to show that this effect has been observed in populations of people with and without apparent heart problems and with people who have a wide range of other conditions.

And it shows how there are studies indicating that gallstones and type-2 diabetes are less likely to occur in moderate drinkers. And like I'd mentioned elsewhere, that moderate drinkers who drank on a regular basis were more likely to see benefits than those who did it infrequently.

TLDR: You saying "there are no benefits whatsoever" is a bunch of nonsense.

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2014, 09:02:58 am »
Drinking is more acceptable here, but is bad for you. There is no significant health gains from drinking alcohol, but has a quite a few significant downsides to it. Hence, bad.
What you've written is true only if the person is drinking a large amount. There are, in fact, studies showing that moderate drinking of alcohol has positives health-wise.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140710151947.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oGS1_C0l7M&list=UUzWQYUVCpZqtN93H8RR44Qw

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551

TL DR - Even so, the evidence about the possible health benefits of alcohol isn't certain, and alcohol may not benefit everyone who drinks.
TL DR - Red wine's resveratrol not linked to healthier life.

With that said, I drink knowing it harms me. I don't care~ Live everyday like it's your last right? Just don't use health benefits as an excuse anymore :)
So I'll raise you a http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/

"The effect is fairly consistent, corresponding to a 25 percent to 40 percent reduction in risk [of cardiovascular disease]."

And it goes further to show that this effect has been observed in populations of people with and without apparent heart problems and with people who have a wide range of other conditions.

And it shows how there are studies indicating that gallstones and type-2 diabetes are less likely to occur in moderate drinkers. And like I'd mentioned elsewhere, that moderate drinkers who drank on a regular basis were more likely to see benefits than those who did it infrequently.

TLDR: You saying "there are no benefits whatsoever" is a bunch of nonsense.

I now raise you a:
http://www.ias.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Factsheets/Health%20impacts%20of%20alcohol%20factsheet%20September%202013.pdf

"Although a small amount of alcohol may reduce the risk of a heart attack, for many
drinkers alcohol actually increases the risk of heart disease. This is why even the leading British researcher who supports the notion of a protective effect in relation to heart disease still states that “the balance of harm and benefit does not weigh in favour of making a recommendation to the public to drink in order to prevent coronary heart disease”."

I never said there were no benefits whatsoever. I said there is an insignificant amount. There are always risks, regardless of drinking amounts. It often outweighs the benefits.

It's like saving one person, but in the process killing 5 others.

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/binge-drinking.htm
Open your mind.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2014, 09:30:48 am »
Reducing even light consumption of alcohol will not only improve your chances against coronary heart disease, but also help you lose weight and ease high blood pressure.

Writing in the British Medical Journal, researchers carried out an overview of 50 published studies into the drinking habits and health of more than 260,000 people of European descent.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/wellness/no-more-cheers-study-debunks-health-benefits-of-light-drinking/article1-1239583.aspx

Alcohol continues to be a leading cause of premature death across the nation.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/alcohol-responsible-1-10-u-s-deaths/

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2014, 09:39:59 am »
Can we please drop this alcohol conversation? People always say the same thing and no one changes their mind. It's obnoxious and largely irrelevant to this thread.
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2014, 09:48:02 am »
Whether you are offended or not, it's completely relevant to the conversation. We are are simply objectively discussing facts. (Nothing wrong with that.)

"Weed is much, much less dangerous than alcohol." -Johnny Depp

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2014, 09:49:33 am »
Can we please drop this alcohol conversation? People always say the same thing and no one changes their mind. It's obnoxious and largely irrelevant to this thread.

What you said applies to pretty much everything in life by the way. By this standard we should have only have conversations with people who agree with you. Religion? Politics? Best video game? Best music genre? Best food? Is korean food too spicy/not spicy enough? Are teachers needed? Is the media only shining a bad light on foreigners?
Open your mind.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:21 am »
The New York Times is an American daily newspaper, founded and continuously published in New York City since September 18, 1851. It has won 112 Pulitzer Prizes, more than any other news organization.

Great article by the editorial board:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/27/opinion/sunday/high-time-marijuana-legalization.html?_r=0

There is honest debate among scientists about the health effects of marijuana, but we believe that the evidence is overwhelming that addiction and dependence are relatively minor problems, especially compared with alcohol and tobacco. Moderate use of marijuana does not appear to pose a risk for otherwise healthy adults.

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:46 am »
Oh yay...Life Improvement found a friend to help him preach his whiny anti-alcohol agenda again.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2014, 10:15:02 am »
Not really an agenda; just posting facts. Do you have anything insightful to say? (Or do you just want to whine about people posting truths that for some reason you don't want to see?) Learning new stuff rules. I like it a lot. If anyone wants to articulate a position, I will listen with an open mind and consider what is being said. I'm not the one getting angry here. Why is that?

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:16 am »
Oh yay...Life Improvement found a friend to help him preach his whiny anti-alcohol agenda again.

Facts are facts. Plus I said I drink. My agenda is more along the lines of "don't be a stupid ass. Don't live life in ignorance".

Hard to advocate for a position when I do the opposite.
Open your mind.

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2014, 10:25:57 am »

Facts are facts. Plus I said I drink. My agenda is more along the lines of "don't be a stupid ass. Don't live life in ignorance".

I'm only annoyed that you talking about it gave Life Improvement an avenue to wind up his blathering again. Discussing the actual merits of alcohol consumption is fine.

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2014, 10:30:54 am »

I'm only annoyed that you talking about it gave Life Improvement an avenue to wind up his blathering again. Discussing the actual merits of alcohol consumption is fine.

+1
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2014, 10:39:24 am »
God, Gaikoku.org, do you ever shut up? You just pop into threads to insult people and be a contrarian without expressing a cogent thought of your own.

(Quoting a long block of text just to add "+1" is equally vapid.)

Yes, we will continue discussing about how marijuana is healthier than alcohol / alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana (which is true).

Some wise words from EvilToast:

"I would like to get in, before the inevitable happens and people start calling each other names and chucking their toys. If people get defensive or hostile, because your pushing your agenda, it's because of their insecurities. However, constantly pushing your agendas are your insecurities.

My humble opinion, alcohol should be discussed. If people get angry and emotional, then good (it's a sign). If people get emotional about either side of the argument, then something isn't right, either with their lifestyle or their surroundings."

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:05 am »
Pothead Paradox? What?  Criminalizing usage is meant as a deterrent.

If you were from a country where "X" was illegal and traveled to another country where "X" wasn't, guess what?  When you return to your country, you can be held legally accountable (i.e. your employer has a random drug test).

Korea is no different, so it should come as no surprise when one fails an employer mandated drug test to be held accountable (the jurisdiction in where it was used is irrelevant).

Excusing illegal drug use/being under the influence while on duty as "being" human and not a "robot" is ludicrous.

As has been stated, there are clear and concise school rules and policies in place that address these sorts of behaviors and what is and is not appropriate conduct.  If you can't follow the rules, you should be out.

The fact that some people break the law and avoid getting caught doesn't justify their behavior as righteous.

Yeah, we've said time and again that we're not talking about being high while on duty but in their private lives, so obviously you have no interest in an intelligent conversation.  I'm just surprised that you have an internet connection under the bridge you protect.

And by the way, no, my home country generally doesn't permit drug testing:
http://www.rbs.ca/newsroom-publications-Employee-Drug-Alcohol-Testing-Canada.html

But even if it did, I would still be against it.  I don't know what that has to do with the conversation here.  But as you've already proven, you're arguing something other than what everyone else here is talking about. 

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:48 am »
God, Gaikoku.org, do you ever shut up? You just pop into threads to insult people and be a contrarian without expressing a cogent thought of your own.

(Quoting a long block of text just to add "+1" is equally vapid.)

Yes, we will continue discussing about how marijuana is healthier than alcohol / alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana (which is true).

Some wise words from EvilToast:

"I would like to get in, before the inevitable happens and people start calling each other names and chucking their toys. If people get defensive or hostile, because your pushing your agenda, it's because of their insecurities. However, constantly pushing your agendas are your insecurities.

My humble opinion, alcohol should be discussed. If people get angry and emotional, then good (it's a sign). If people get emotional about either side of the argument, then something isn't right, either with their lifestyle or their surroundings."

Hahahahahahahahahah ahaha!