Read 21035 times

• anichion
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 10:29:38 am
    • Naju
Thirty-seven people, many of them foreigners staying in South Korea as English teachers, have been arrested and booked on charges of smuggling, trading and taking marijuana, police said Wednesday. Those arrested included a South Korean national with U.S. residence, surnamed Shin, as well as a Korean American, surnamed Kim, according to the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. Both were working as English teachers.
And here come the inevitable "teachers are drug addicts" complaints/jokes/stares/netizen poutrage...

They brought 2 kilograms of hemp into South Korea earlier this year through the U.S. military mail service and sold them to 32 drug buyers through South Korean and Nigerian drug dealers for the profit of around 110 million won (US$107,716).

The two drug dealders were also among those arrested.

The police said the drug buyers, booked for smoking the illegal drug, were mostly foreigners who are teaching English language at local colleges, elementary schools, private institutions or even kindergartens mainly in areas near Seoul.
Now I'm curious as to how they were caught. Did they spot a shipment? Did a teacher fail a test and he flipped on the dealers and they flipped on everyone? Did one of them light up in class?

"Shin and his group mostly dealt with foreigners, given that if they are (caught and) convicted of drug related charges, they could be punished and kicked out of their jobs," the police said. "They sold the hemp to English native teachers whom they met at a foreigner-only club located in Suwon," a city 45 kilometers south of Seoul.

The police investigation showed that the arrested Nigerian drug dealer has taught English at a kindergarten in Yongin near Suwon while he was under the influence of marijuana.

;D ;D ;D   I bet those kindy classes were...wait for it...taught at a higher level than normal.  8)
An American English teacher, who was among those arrested, shaved all his hair to evade a drug test, but he was tested positive in a urine examination, the police said.
Yeah, looks like he forgot about the whole pee-test thing. I bet the cops saw baldy here and thought, yeah 100% guilty.
Police plans to tighten crackdown on drug crimes involving foreign teachers.

Under South Korean law, marijuana users can be sentenced to a maximum of five years in jail or fined up to 50 million won. (Yonhap)
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140820000892

I guess a few of us haven't leard our lesson from the last mass drug bust. So, for those of us who are hard of hearing/learning, I publish this handy guide on the dangers of smoking weed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
2 kilos > $107,000, $107 for 2 grams

Someone is getting ripped off HUGE!

Which is all the more reason not to smoke up in KLand. Save your money for women and booze. It's cheaper.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:36:28 pm by Davey »

Can't these people just wait till summer/winter vacation then 'get on it' in Thailand or wherever?

I like to 'unwind' was much as the next man but it's seriously not worth it here in SK.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Can't these people just wait till summer/winter vacation then 'get on it' in Thailand or wherever?

I like to 'unwind' was much as the next man but it's seriously not worth it here in SK.

That's a horrible idea.  Thai jail is not the place you want to go. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Theyre always quick to out a korean american if he/she does something bad, but quick to say theyre Korean!! if its something good (ie hines ward)

Crackdown???  I've literally met hundreds of teachers here, and never once heard or seen anything about drugs.

Theyre always quick to out a korean american if he/she does something bad, but quick to say theyre Korean!! if its something good (ie hines ward)

Crackdown???  I've literally met hundreds of teachers here, and never once heard or seen anything about drugs.

the vast majority have concluded that booze and women are far more fun than weed.  :evil:

oh for gawds sake. how can these guys be so moronic. these idiots always have to ruin it for everyone else and make life more difficult and lead to foreigners - and especially English teachers - getting stigmatized more.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb

I knew a guy who got some drugs shipped to him.  He spent 3 months in jail for it. 

There's actually US military involved too, though the article doesn't say that specifically.  Since they used the military mail, they had to have someone on post with access to a post office box who could get it out to them.  Being that they were only English teachers, they wouldn't have access. 

Too much of it makes them stupid? I don't even know anymore.

I recently read something on reddit: someone was going on a trip to one of those Southeast Asian countries with the death penalty. And this guy says, "I hear there's a death penalty,but can someone hook me up with a seller in the area? PM me."

I mean.. seriously? He was probably only visiting for 1 or 2 weeks.

Re: Korean Herald- Dozens of Foreign English Teachers arrested (drugs again)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »
Weed smokers/dealers/people, stop ****** it up for the rest of us.

I get legitimately mad when I read about shit like this. I mean, if someone's moving halfway across the world for this job and wants to stay for a while, then they should reel in their habit. Need it for pain management or some other ailment? Find something else that won't get you in trouble.

There will always be a small percentage who do it and a smaller percentage too that get caught.

• Lawrence
  • Super Waygook

• March 06, 2013, 10:59:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:23:58 pm »
oh for gawds sake. how can these guys be so moronic. these idiots always have to ruin it for everyone else and make life more difficult and lead to foreigners - and especially English teachers - getting stigmatized more.

I'm not going after you about this but I'm just choosing your remark. Many teachers say this when a foreigner does something bad and it gets reported. I would like to know, how many people have actually received some negative comments regarding another person's behavior? I mean nobody every said anything to my face after some foreigner gets drunk or high and then thinks I will do that. Personally I think it just reflects badly on that person and I think most people understand that, especially nowadays. I would not worry about this. What are your co-teachers and principal going to do to you, unless you are there or were convicted?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:55:26 pm »

I get legitimately mad when I read about shit like this.

You think posting on here is going to stop (or even reduce in the slightest) people from smoking weed? It's not.

If you want to stop/mitigate negative blowback, tell Koreans (if you are brave that is), "Who cares? It's not more dangerous/harmful than alcohol." (Which is true.) If they don't believe you, show them the quote by Barak Obama that says exactly that.

Next, show them this infographic:

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/infographic-americans-say-sugar-more-harmful-marijuana-n51616

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/257852/speedreads-poll-twice-as-many-americans-say-sugar-is-more-harmful-than-marijuana

They will be surprised (and learn something new). That is how to fight negative stigmas.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 08:07:17 pm »

I get legitimately mad when I read about shit like this.

You think posting on here is going to stop (or even reduce in the slightest) people from smoking weed? It's not.

If you want to stop/mitigate negative blowback, tell Koreans (if you are brave that is), "Who cares? It's not more dangerous/harmful than alcohol." (Which is true.) If they don't believe you, show them the quote by Barak Obama that says exactly that.

Next, show them this infographic:

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/infographic-americans-say-sugar-more-harmful-marijuana-n51616

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/257852/speedreads-poll-twice-as-many-americans-say-sugar-is-more-harmful-than-marijuana

They will be surprised (and learn something new). That is how to fight negative stigmas.

No, this won't matter.  Some people can get facts and studies shown to them until you're blue in the face and they still won't change their small minded ideas.

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 08:14:40 pm »
I don't blame the weed, I blame these individuals.

They were incredibly careless and stupid with when and where they smoked it. i.e. before work, at work, on school property, in the parking lot in their cars, even, allegedly in one case, in class.

Stupid anywhere, but in Korea? Give me a break.

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 08:17:27 pm »

I'm not going after you about this but I'm just choosing your remark. Many teachers say this when a foreigner does something bad and it gets reported. I would like to know, how many people have actually received some negative comments regarding another person's behavior? I mean nobody every said anything to my face after some foreigner gets drunk or high and then thinks I will do that. Personally I think it just reflects badly on that person and I think most people understand that, especially nowadays. I would not worry about this. What are your co-teachers and principal going to do to you, unless you are there or were convicted?

just like you i've never personally received any negative comments from my school. but the problem with incidents like this is that it just adds to the broader conception that some Koreans have that foreigners are drug-addled womanizing pedophiles (i'm exaggerating here a bit, but i wouldn't be surprised if some Koreans do actually believe that about foreigners).

incidents like this might not manifest themselves in your or my personal sphere in terms of getting comments from co-teachers etc., but these things manifest in terms of things like stricter drug testing, more xenophobia, perhaps more bars/clubs decide to ban foreigners because they don't want "foreign drug addicts in there" and so on. there was actually a time where there was never a marijuana screen as part of the medical, for example. now we have one.

having said that, the principal of a guy i know recently expressed quite a lot of concern that he was going to try smuggle drugs back into the country after he returned from vacation. and this was way before this incident was reported. so there are some cases where things like this do directly manifest in terms of comments from principals etc.

• BonnieC
  • Waygookin

• September 19, 2012, 08:05:11 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:13 pm »
My last co teacher asked me if all foreigners try drugs at university... I told him I had no idea, but I seriously doubted it. He then quoted some article he had read about English teachers and recreational drug use...

I feel that, at the end of the day, if something is illegal then don't take part. Whether it be here, Thailand or anywhere else. I don't want to sound like a kill-joy, but my job is important to me and I guess I am a little sad that it isn't as important to everyone else.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:25 pm »
The stigma that we do all this bad crap and Koreans are perfect will never go away... I just laugh this crap off and focus back on my life.

I wonder how stupid can these teachers be though? Honestly, if you think about it....

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:32 pm »
i've re-read this article again just now and it really is some shoddy reporting. it says many of those arrested were foreigners - well, how many foreigners and how many Koreans were arrested?

also, i wonder how the Nigerian guy managed to get a job teaching at a kindergarten? he definitely did teach at one because there is video footage of him teaching, but i would guess he's married to a Korean then?

the article also doesn't distinguish between how many foreigners were arrested for smuggling and/or dealing, and how many were arrested for buying. of course smuggling and dealing are far more serious crimes than buying. the article says that the majority of the drug buyers were foreigners. so i guess that means the majority of the smugglers were Korean?

also, does anyone who lives in Suwon know about this foreigner-only bar? i know there are many Korean-only bars all over Korea but a foreigner-only bar must be quite unique.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:37 pm »
What these people did or what any of us do has nothing to do with our 'image' here.  The reason this is reported as sensationally as it is is because it involves foreigners.  Think there was no Korean crime that day?  It reinforces an already existing bias by the masses in Korea, and thus sells more copies (or gets more clicks).  The same thing with overrporting of minority crimes in our own countries.  Stats after stats show that English teachers have a much, much, so much less crime rate than the Korean average and that usually includes non-violent offences like drug use.  That doesn't excuse it, but if you think Koreans have a bad view of English teachers because of guys like this, I'm sorry to say the reality is much uglier.  There's a reason why a routine drug bust is in the news and not the sexual assaults that are so rampant here.  How many guys went down for the 2008 financial collapse?  For Enron?  For the Iraq War?  But sure, it's those evil minorities that are ruining our lives.  Sure, shake your head at the poor decisions of these foreigners, but don't let the shiny lights distract you from the slight of hand just off screen.